IGNORED

Sealed Amiga Castlevania on Ebay already $200+

icemanxp300

Well I was watching this as I was considering nabbing if price was low but thats out of the question now.

If anyone is interested. I don't really collect this stuff but it would have fit nice in my collection next to my boxed tandy 1000 one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-sealed-copy-of-Konamis-Castlevania-for-the-Amiga-/151163432003?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Edited by icemanxp300

A port of Castlevania that can be had on any abandonware site for $139581096810983968 bucks? please excuse me if my excitement for this is "super rare". The last time I saw this game was in a bargain bin.

Wow please show me where these Bargain bins with all these BOXED!!!!! Castlevanias are.

It still amazes me how clueless some people can be when they come out and try to be rude for no reason at all. Yea I seen this game sell for like $30 a few months back myself. Apparantly you missed the BOXED part.

If you come in my threads acting like a jerk for no reason fully expect to get it back in return.

I don't know why you'd hype it up with "super rare" in the title. Sounds like you're trying a little too hard to sell this. If you think it's worth a gazillion bucks that's fine. Maybe some other people will disagree.

If you're honestly excited about DOS games in box then list them. At least I can do is have an eye out for you in case I see it at thrift stores and flea markets. My way of an apology. :)

I'm not trying to sell anything. This is not my auction. This complete is super rare do some research. I have only come across one sold listing that had the box and manual besides this one. This is only the 2nd time this item boxed has been for sale in the past 2 years that I am aware of. Before that who knows. Like I said I found a "similiar" boxed one last year and started researching it. So yes I'm excited to see what it sells for. I don't plan on selling mine but none the less I'm excited to see what this gets.

I'm not trying to sell anything. This is not my auction. This complete is super rare do some research. I have only come across one sold listing that had the box and manual besides this one. This is only the 2nd time this item boxed has been for sale in the past 2 years that I am aware of. Before that who knows. Like I said I found a "similiar" boxed one last year and started researching it. So yes I'm excited to see what it sells for. I don't plan on selling mine but none the less I'm excited to see what this gets.

Well, like I said: list some of the other games you're looking for. I never paid much attention to DOS games. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Wow. Apparently $99 dollars worth of rare going on eBay. Don't mean to flare up tempers again but I don't see the point of floppy based DOS games going for so much.

Amen.

Seems there's enough fanboys willing to keep prices artificially high on certain franchises such as this and Castlevania though. It's not just that it's for DOS as I see it over on the Amiga side too. People mostly just after the box/artwork across various platforms for their collections. If people want to overspend, good for them. There will always be sellers willing to take advantage. ;)

• Like 1

Wow. Apparently $99 dollars worth of rare going on eBay. Don't mean to flare up tempers again but I don't see the point of floppy based DOS games going for so much.

DOS game values are going up, people say oh you can d/l the game', so you can cart games too, but it doesn't give you the box/instr/and else

The FF games on PC going for some good bucks now, the Star Saga games are expensive if complete also id Anthology is expensive complete, and the Spellcasting series

I was offered an almost 4 figure sum for my complete CD version of

Mechwarrior2_zpsb8466061.jpg

ended on ebay a few years ago:

L-Zone complete = 227.50

Adventures of Willy Beamish (sealed) = 150.00

Devo: Adventures of the Smart Patrol (sealed) = 103.50

Infocom Classic Text Adventure Masterpieces = 73.90

Original Doom PC 3.5" manual with box = 102.50

Maniac Mansion for Apple II (sealed) = 305.00

Maniac Mansion for PC (sealed) = 235.50

Edited by high voltage

I don't collect dos games or pc games really for that matter. I just happened to stumble across this at a yardsale and nabbed it. I generally don't pay much for my games. Regardless collecting is collecting. I don't understand the negativity towards this though.

I mean I find spending a few hundred on a nice boxed game a lot more reasonable than $13,000 on a cart someone made in their basement.

Anyhow here is mine.

100_1853.jpg

As far as I know the Tandy 1000 has a special 16-color mode.

Anyway my only boxed PC game is Delta Force: Land Warrior, checking ebay... hmmm... I can sell it anything between $9.95 and $99.95 USD. :D I think I'll save it another ten years. ;)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm. Haven't even ever considered the Amiga as collectible. I've got boxes full of MIB stuff from back in the day in my basement. All opened, but I was very careful with everything I owned.

Sealed stuff on the Amiga commands a major premium over opened stuff, even if it's mint. Having said that, there are some MIB games that command reasonably high prices.

Edited by bojay1997

Sealed stuff on any platform commands a premium. I'm sure you could find someone willing to pay top dollar even for sealed Game.com and Neo Geo Pocket games.

As for other 16-bit era games selling high, I've never found much 16-bit-era computer games in thrift stores, even back when 16-bit-era console hardware and cartridges were all over the place. Once I found a complete Apple IIGS set-up that came included a few games, and I considered that an incredible score. Another time I found a handful boxed Apple IIGS games, and another time still I found some boxed Amiga graphics software. That's been about it. I haven't even seen any 16-bit era DOS and Windows 3.1 games in the wild in all my days of thrifting.

I suspect part of the reason behind 16-bit game scarcity is the relative failure of most 16-bit computers, at least in the U.S. The Amiga underperformed, the Atari ST underperformed, and the Apple IIGS underperformed. The computers that did survive, the PC and the Macintosh, usually weren't considered game machines, or at least not game-only machines. Therefore owners didn't buy as many games as they might have for a computer like the Commodore 64 or Atari 800XL, something with a reputation for gaming. Consequently, at least when compared to earlier and later eras, there weren't as many games sold, and so there is less stuff now to be found. That's even assuming everything sold then is still good today. The media of choice in the 16-bit computer era was the 3.5" floppy. I've had far more 3.5" floppies fail than any other media, including 5.25" floppies. 3.5" floppies are notoriously bad, pretty much crumbling to dust even when simply sitting on a shelf. So a lot of what did sell is probably now in landfills.

All things considered, I can see games from that era selling for a lot, especially games with fans who will buy stuff just for the novelty like Castlevania. Personally I would love to find a lot more 16-bit era games, especially arcade titles that most likely had their best ports on the Amiga and Atari ST. But without scouring eBay or posting want-lists on collectors' forums, it seems unlikely to happen.

Sealed stuff on any platform commands a premium. I'm sure you could find someone willing to pay top dollar even for sealed Game.com and Neo Geo Pocket games.

As for other 16-bit era games selling high, I've never found much 16-bit-era computer games in thrift stores, even back when 16-bit-era console hardware and cartridges were all over the place. Once I found a complete Apple IIGS set-up that came included a few games, and I considered that an incredible score. Another time I found a handful boxed Apple IIGS games, and another time still I found some boxed Amiga graphics software. That's been about it. I haven't even seen any 16-bit era DOS and Windows 3.1 games in the wild in all my days of thrifting.

I suspect part of the reason behind 16-bit game scarcity is the relative failure of most 16-bit computers, at least in the U.S. The Amiga underperformed, the Atari ST underperformed, and the Apple IIGS underperformed. The computers that did survive, the PC and the Macintosh, usually weren't considered game machines, or at least not game-only machines. Therefore owners didn't buy as many games as they might have for a computer like the Commodore 64 or Atari 800XL, something with a reputation for gaming. Consequently, at least when compared to earlier and later eras, there weren't as many games sold, and so there is less stuff now to be found. That's even assuming everything sold then is still good today. The media of choice in the 16-bit computer era was the 3.5" floppy. I've had far more 3.5" floppies fail than any other media, including 5.25" floppies. 3.5" floppies are notoriously bad, pretty much crumbling to dust even when simply sitting on a shelf. So a lot of what did sell is probably now in landfills.

All things considered, I can see games from that era selling for a lot, especially games with fans who will buy stuff just for the novelty like Castlevania. Personally I would love to find a lot more 16-bit era games, especially arcade titles that most likely had their best ports on the Amiga and Atari ST. But without scouring eBay or posting want-lists on collectors' forums, it seems unlikely to happen.

You're incorrect. There are many common sealed computer and video games that sell for far less than original MSRP. That's true on the Amiga as well. Also, while the Amiga, ST and IIGS may have "underperformed", there are still on-line stores that stock titles in NOS condition for them. Similarly, there are tons of sealed Amiga and ST games that pop up for sale on Ebay. I suppose if your point is that you don't regularly find ST and Amiga stuff at thrift shops, I will agree, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of it out there. It really is just the odd in-demand titles like Castlevania that go for huge amounts in sealed condition. I regularly buy sealed Amiga and ST games for $10-$20 from various sources.

Edited by bojay1997

You're incorrect. There are many common sealed computer and video games that sell for far less than original MSRP. That's true on the Amiga as well.

Yes, but those sealed games still go for more than their unsealed counterparts.

Also, while the Amiga, ST and IIGS may have "underperformed", there are still on-line stores that stock titles in NOS condition for them. Similarly, there are tons of sealed Amiga and ST games that pop up for sale on Ebay.

But there still seems to be a lot less compared to games from earlier and later eras. My observation, of course.

Wow I own that too, maybe I should auction mine off

Be very careful with using that as a guideline. For whatever reason, Peter Olafson usually gets hundreds of dollars (or more!) over market value for his items. As an experiment, I sold two of the exact same item as him right after his ended, and got about $150 less each time. In fact, one of mine was sealed versus what he had sold as opened. While I bid on Peter's stuff myself and I'm not implying anything shady going on (he may just advertise in the right places), there are some pretty strange anomalies that don't seem to apply to anyone else.

Be very careful with using that as a guideline. For whatever reason, Peter Olafson usually gets hundreds of dollars (or more!) over market value for his items. As an experiment, I sold two of the exact same item as him right after his ended, and got about $150 less each time. In fact, one of mine was sealed versus what he had sold as opened. While I bid on Peter's stuff myself and I'm not implying anything shady going on (he may just advertise in the right places), there are some pretty strange anomalies that don't seem to apply to anyone else.

As someone who has been collecting computer games for a very long time, I have to agree that Peter Olafson's auctions are a puzzle to me. Much of what he is selling is not particularly rare, nor is it in very nice shape. I have generally avoided his stuff as a result and while I don't think fraud is involved, there is a lot of odd bidding activity and one buyer in particular that seems to be spending thousands of dollars a week on his stuff, including stuff that is available from other sellers on Ebay in better condition for far less money.