IGNORED

Activision CV Ports

LynxVGL

So I'm on the bubble about picking up some Activison Carts for the CV. I know that Activisions policy back in the day was to NOT radically improve game quality across platforms (unlike Imagic) and am looking for some input on the Quality of the original 2600 Ports.

Pitfall looks identical except for some minor cosmetic changes, is this the same for Pitfall 2?

River Raid has some improvements, no?

I don't have a current emulator to gauge quality so some community input would be nice before I continue my eBay searches.

Thanks!

I know asking for other people's opinion is easier than installing/configuring an emulator on your computer and downloading/testing ROMs, but really, you're asking people to make decisions for you which you should be making by yourself, for yourself.

With this said, there's really no reason to purchase Activision games on the CV if you're okay with the Atari 2600 versions. All you get with the CV versions is improved graphic quality (sound/music is rather close). The games are the same gameplay-wise in pretty much all cases.

The graphics ARE improved on CV vs. 2600/5200 Activision games, though not by much. Mainly backgrounds. One bad thing about the Act. games is that the labels are often ripped off above the screws. Now, which system are they best to play on? Well the stock CV controllers really suffer on the Activision games, big time. If you have the sticks modded like me, they are great, or use a 2600 stick if you can.

I think these are the only AV published games though?

Beamrider

Decathlon

H.E.R.O.

Keystone Kapers

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns

Pitfall!

River Raid

Zenji

Edited by Greg2600

Beamrider

Decathlon

H.E.R.O.

Keystone Kapers

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns

Pitfall!

River Raid

Zenji

The only drawback that the Colecovision only has 16 colors, sprites are limited to 1 color each. Where the atari 2600 has 128 colors, and sprites can have one color per scanline. I only played Beamrider, Keystone Kaper, and H.E.R.O.. The games I played are nearly identical to the Atari 2600 version and still a lot of fun to play. I love H.E.R.O. and brought that from Atari2600 site.

Definitely the graphics look less "blocky" in Colecovision and all preserve the original gameplay, sound stays almost the same though slightly improved.

All the games have improved graphics in some way.

At this moment I remember I saw improvement in H.E.R.O. Keystone Kapers and Decathlon backgrounds and in River Raid sprites.

Thanks for the input guys. I have checked out the YouTube stuff (Especially the 65GamerGuys channel) but the input on the controls and the issue with the Sprites is something that some YouTube videos don't address.

Plus I think it's more valuable sometimes to get input from folks who have actually played the titles. I was thinking about HERO but I rarely see it cheap/loose. River Raid and possibly Pitfall 2 are the other ones.

I WISH Activision would have ported Star Master to the CV and improved it a little to make it a true competitor to Star Raiders on the 5200 and 8-bit line.

I'd get the 2600 versions myself. Of the three I have, Decathlon is a tad better on CV, but Keystone Kapers is worse. River Raid isn't really better or worse, just different.

I find this to be true myself. Honestly I think the game play best on the platform they were programmed for originally (which is usually the 2600), otherwise they just feel 'off' on other systems. There are exceptions to this rule however (Pitfall II on the 8-bits comes to mind). If you want the best gameplay *with* the additional eye candy I'd go for the Atari 8-bit ports, they seem to be the most solid.

That 'Don't improve things on other systems' idea seems to only have lasted for the first three or so games they ported. After that they went nuts. :)

I concur w/ the majority on here 'bout the Activision ports.

The first Activision title I bought was Keystone Kapers. I should preface this by saying "Kapers" is my favorite 2600 game to this day. When I got it home, I would say mildly disappointed would sum it up best. Not to say it was horrible, but to me when it comes on the Colecovision, I expect it to be *greatly* improved over the original..... I still prefer the 2600 version.

My next game was River Raid. Now on this one I do prefer the CV port. I was a pretty good RR player; I love the added difficulty the CV version provides.

Followed suit was Pitfall II. Well this was The Keystone Kapers to me. Nothing real of an worthwhile upgrade to me.

Now, my neighbors had Decathlon for the CV. I would say this is the best port of Decathlon on any system - love that game!

I think that the cv version of pitfall is a vast improvement over the 2600 version. But thats just my two cents. I have never played pitfall 2 on the 2600 so I can't say.

Interesting to say it was vastly improved... something 'bout the controls and movement on the CV version that bothers me compared to the 2600 counterpart.