IGNORED

IDEPLUS 2.0: CF Backup, Restore and Clone using Windows

twh/f2

Hi *,

i was kind of unlucky with my tries to backup and restore my IDEPLUS 2.0 CF cards using my Windows computer. Maybe I'm missing something and therefore I would be happy if someone could provide me some help.

At the beginning everything seems to work out well. That's what I'm using:

* IDEPLUS2.0

* IDE<->CF adapter / http://www.ably.com.tw/pdt/viewpdt.asp?absp=20&cat=CBL_ADAPTER

* I have two identical SanDisk Ultra 4 GB CompactFlash

Using the IDEPLUS tools I have a nice and fast SDX system. I had issues using the Master/Slave mode with IDEPLUS2.0 so I'm only using one Master CF card.

When I attach my CF card to the PC then Windows of course asks me to format the disk, because it does not recognize it's file system. I'm ignoring that.

I would like to Backup/Restore/Clone my CF card. I'm using TrueImage - a Windows tool which supports sector-by-sector backups and MBA restores.

The problem after restoring / cloning:

* not booting / working system

* when booting from Floppy Disk into SDX I see corrupted / unusable HDD drives

* however: partition table can be seen using FDISK2

The other concerning problem is, that after reading out the original CF disk and plugging it back to the IDEPLUS2.0 it is also unusable anymore.

greetings,

twh

First, it is safer to re-partition the disk with FJC APT-compliant FDISK. This will establish a protective MBR on the disk which should prevent Windows from destroying the disk contents.

Second, you might try a Windows version of the Unix tool called "dd". A version is here http://www.chrysocome.net/dd I have to add that I did not try it on Windows, so I don't know how safe/reliable it is. But the Unix version works fine.

• 3 months later...

Ok. For the records: I successfully cloned a CF card today. In the result the Atari boots and SDX does not recognize any difference... Hooray!

* I have used the FJC APT-compliant FDISK / partition table.

* I used a USB2IDE bridge

* I used TrueImage (Acronis) a commercial backup/restore tool suite

Using TrueImage it's important to activate sector-by-sector option in the recovery dialogue. (which is not set by default). If not set, it won't work at all.

I only managed to backup/restore a CF with my new SIDE2. I think my IDEPLUS2.0 was not compatible to the CF/Adapter I used or it was kind of broken.

greetings,

\twh

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. For the records: I successfully cloned a CF card today. ...

I only managed to backup/restore a CF with my new SIDE2. I think my IDEPLUS2.0 was not compatible to the CF/Adapter I used or it was kind of broken

If it is an IDEplus from the first run of 2011 a fix might be needed if you cannot find a compatible CF adaptor.