IGNORED

anyone excited about the upcoming (fall) Xbox 720?

jd_1138

If games are tied to an XBox live account, what happens if Microsoft decides to ban your XBoxx live account? Does that mean all of those physical discs that you bought are now worthless to you and you have to pay a "fee" to play them again on a new live account? So even if you just bought the physical media, all of your gaming library licenses can be taken away for any reason even if you just hacked a new hat for your avatar!

Once they drop the Xbox 360, I can move to PC gaming, but I don't usually like to play games with a mouse or the keyboard. I have an Xbox 360 controller hooked up to my PC, so I hope most games will let you use a controller. I also hope new games will work with a computer purchased in late 2011.

Didn't I tell you all? Didn't I? Eh? Eh?

I've said all along that the new consoles would be a major let down. There simply isn't any need for them. The current gen are chugging along just fine and could be for another 5 years. Way to waste money, M$ and Sony.

But this reveal is, well ... I'm having a hard time figuring out what all the fuss is about.

• It has blu-ray. Woo-bloody-hoo. With the recent price drop, I have been tempted to finally get a PS3. So that would be a pretty decent gaming console with a blu-ray for half what the 'One' is going to cost.
  • It has improved Kinect. Sorry, not interested. The Xbox series is and has always been attractive to hardcore gamers. Apparently 38% of Xbox gamers are now female. I don't think that most of them are going to be that interested in Kinect either. It's not that the Xbox has become more female-friendly but rather there's a growing core of hardcore female gamers.
  • Skype video calls. Really? I'm so NOT going to be using that.
  • Ability to see what is trending amongst friends. Pretty cool. So I take it that means I'm going to see that all my friends are going nuts about Halo and CoD AGAIN? Yawn ad infinitum.
  • As for the design ... My sister's thrown the family's old Hitachi top loader VHS recorder, which was our first one from the early eighties, into her back garden. The Xbox One wouldn't look out of place beside it.
  • TV and Video systems designed with the US in mind. That's not exactly going to add to its European sales count now, is it?

What was interesting is that one commentator pointed out that Microsoft once envisioned the PC being the family's primary entertainment system. It never happened, he said, and Microsoft now need the new console to do that job instead.

The reason it never happened is because of Microsoft. An interface like the one on the 360, laid over the top of Windows would be ideal for a PC-based entertainment hub. But Microsoft decided to launch the 360 and turn that into a hub, effectively killing the PC-based entertainment console and PC gaming for that matter.

• Like 1

They should sell the console for only 50 bucks and charge 500 dollars for each game.

Yeah they already tried that one... I bet you have an SNK console. NEO GEO sank without a trace. Pity the ghost pilots game was great...

Except for the fact that a Neo Geo was $650 at launch with titles that went for upwards of $200 and up...not sure I see the comparison here...also, everybody knows that Random Terrain is a robot, programed to only post in cryptic sarcasm, so I guess you missed the whole intent of his post! :grin:

• Like 1

What's the deal with game system producers making a HUGE deal that they are about to make an important announcement, and then basically wasting everyones time?

I guess I'll wait for some real information closer to the launch.

I will admit I'm a tad upset there are no faceplates this gen... :cool:

• Like 3

What did anyone really expect? All these console reveals basically have said the same thing for the last 30+ years. Better graphics, better controller, more stuff. Doesn't matter if it is the 5200 from the 2600, SNES from the NES, or PS4 from the PS3.

Now comes the phase where we get the same old tired complaints.

It doesn't play my old games. I guess the old systems break for many people when they buy the next gen system. I must be lucky, I can still hook up my old 2600, NES and Xbox and play those games.

It looks like $%#!! Insert woodgrain, George Foreman grill, it is freaking huge, why does it have a handle jokes/complaints here.

They called it what? (see also Dreamcast, Wii, Wii U, Ipad)

I am switching to PC games! Unless your PC is hooked to your TV, have fun playing a game with 3 of your buddies on card chairs crowded around your desk looking at your 23" monitor. Or maybe those people do the all so convenient LAN party.

The bottom line for me is I want to play the latest console games in 2014 and beyond. So I will be buying the Xbox One and PS4. (I already have a Wii U)

• Like 2

What did anyone really expect? All these console reveals basically have said the same thing for the last 30+ years. Better graphics, better controller, more stuff. Doesn't matter if it is the 5200 from the 2600, SNES from the NES, or PS4 from the PS3.

Now comes the phase where we get the same old tired complaints.

It doesn't play my old games. I guess the old systems break for many people when they buy the next gen system. I must be lucky, I can still hook up my old 2600, NES and Xbox and play those games.

It looks like $%#!! Insert woodgrain, George Foreman grill, it is freaking huge, why does it have a handle jokes/complaints here.

They called it what? (see also Dreamcast, Wii, Wii U, Ipad)

I am switching to PC games! Unless your PC is hooked to your TV, have fun playing a game with 3 of your buddies on card chairs crowded around your desk looking at your 23" monitor. Or maybe those people do the all so convenient LAN party.

The bottom line for me is I want to play the latest console games in 2014 and beyond. So I will be buying the Xbox One and PS4. (I already have a Wii U)

post-29022-0-79792500-1369188961_thumb.png