IGNORED

anyone excited about the upcoming (fall) Xbox 720?

jd_1138

Enough dude...the links are more than enough. You are quite likely breaking tons of copyright laws by posting page after page of other people's articles...even if you are calling them "excerpts" (which they certainly are not). If folks want to read an article from eurogamer.com, engadget, etc... we can go read it. If you have something of your own to add, we would be happy to hear it. Otherwise, you are just flooding Albert's server with a ton of articles that you had no hand in producing yourself.

• Like 2

Xbox Live worked with the original Xbox for five years after the 360 was released. The 360 has much better market penetration and many more methods of generating revenue. I would be surprised if the 360 didn't work with Xbox Live for longer than the original did after its successor is released.

I know...but there is a kernel of truth within my sarcasm. :grin: I am dreading the day that all of the indie games, arcade games and DLC I have purchased over the years just turns to vapor. I know it will happen...I just don't know when.

Too bad the DLC you purchase with those points on your 360 will eventually just disappear like a fart in the wind...that is, when they start to slowly kill the 360 servers a year or two after the 720 XBOX ONE goes live! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

The Xbox 360 has a long life yet. Unlike the money losing Xbox that was quickly all but discontinued as soon as its mission of establishing a beach head for the money winning follow-up console in their original gameplan was accomplished, the Xbox 360 is hugely successful with years of profits ahead of it as Microsoft's budget platform and continuing support for existing customers that have yet to upgrade.

And due to that success, they're surely going to want to support it for several years after its commercial life has largely ended just like they did with the original Xbox (And likely significantly longer). And the Xbox 360 is presumably more flexible and will be better positioned to adapt to future changes with Xbox Live's infrastructure to support other Xbox Live enabled platforms than the original Xbox was.

Worst case scenario is that you have about 6 or 7 years left of online support. And I don't think it's outlandish to suggest that it may even be significantly longer than that if a significant component of their Xbox Live subscription base continues utilizing it for Xbox 360 functions during the latter stages of this decade.

Edited by Atariboy

Why do people think that when the servers go down the games will suddenly become unplayable? Even if the system your licences are tied to dies and you cannot for whatever reason not retie them to another console. Why would people assume the games at that point wouldn't be available in other ways? I mean some folks are really stressing over this it sounds like. Bummer.

For starters, there's comments out there from Microsoft higher ups that your offline access is temporary and after 24 hours or something like that you have to reestablish communications with Xbox Live. You can't leave Xbox Live for long and have a functioning console for videogames. So obviously that rather presents a problem for the day the Xbox One is taken offline.

That's as good of an area to start with as any.

Edited by Atariboy

Enough dude...the links are more than enough. You are quite likely breaking tons of copyright laws by posting page after page of other people's articles...even if you are calling them "excerpts" (which they certainly are not). If folks want to read an article from eurogamer.com, engadget, etc... we can go read it. If you have something of your own to add, we would be happy to hear it. Otherwise, you are just flooding Albert's server with a ton of articles that you had no hand in producing yourself.

there's way too much false information being disseminated out there. I thought it'd be helpful to actually see the articles.

Well I can confirm that all of my $4.99 1600 Points purchases went through and I did receive the codes. This would be a great time to buy some points! For those that might not have caught my original post about this having to scroll through so much spam: http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2758613

For starters, there's comments out there from Microsoft higher ups that your offline access is temporary and after 24 hours or something like that you have to reestablish communications with Xbox Live. You can't leave Xbox Live for long and have a functioning console for videogames. So obviously that rather presents a problem for the day the Xbox One is taken offline.

That's as good of an area to start with as any.

Ah I gotcha. You're talking about the console that hasn't been released yet, that someone reported a comment was made about. I was thinking Xbox 360 when I read that about the servers being shut down, since they will be shut down sooner than later. In my eyes I can discuss the Xbox 360 and actually know what I'm talking about. As far as the Xbox One... Not so much. Speculate away, I'll wait for confirmation before jumping to conclusions there. :cool:

I know...but there is a kernel of truth within my sarcasm. :grin: I am dreading the day that all of the indie games, arcade games and DLC I have purchased over the years just turns to vapor. I know it will happen...I just don't know when.

Actually, that's a very good point. I hadn't considered that at some point I will no longer have access to Pac-Man C.E.

Makes you wonder if it's a form of fraud. Like paying for a TV with a 3 year warranty which has a built-in feature that deliberately causes failure once the warranty is up. So you're forced to buy another.

I know it's unfeasible for MS to continue to run servers when the demand drops off but it's an obvious flaw in the system. Once you buy an XBLA or XBLIG title (I've been doing that a lot lately), you shouldn't need to have your console connected to the internet to play. They should just be there - whether you're online or offline. A simple automatic activation code tied to the individual console would have sufficed.

there's way too much false information being disseminated out there. I thought it'd be helpful to actually see the articles.

All you have to do is post links and say what the articles are about. Posting long articles doesn't guarantee that anyone will read them. It's more of a guarantee that they'll get pissed off that they have to scroll down so far to get to real posts and finally complain to a moderator that you are spamming the thread with long articles that you didn't write and you'll get banned from the thread or people will simply put you on ignore and your 'helpful' posts won't be seen at all.

• Like 1

To Xbox fanboys:

Why on earth YOU would want this over a solid PC next year is beyond me. Its a Windows PC...something that they themselves sell, its not like your jumping ship.

Not only can you play last gen's games but next gen's as well. Not to mention three decades of game consoles.

All you have to do is hook it up to tour TV set.

Stop giving these fuckers money every month just to switch channels and use Youtube which you can do on a TV set these days.

My god. I'm done.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

I watched the reveal yesterday and for me, its much, much to early to pass judgement on whether the system is great or terrible. Yesterday was simply a tease of things to come and a lot of actual facts about the system are unknown. I can wait until the full reveal has been done before deciding on whether to purchase or not.

BUT... one thing REALLY stood out for me and I believe points out the biggest difference between the new MS and Nintendo systems: its not the processing power or graphics display or online capabilities or game library...... its how much money MS is pouring into Xbox One vs. what Nintendo has put into Wii U. Just some of the things I noticed:

MS is paying for exclusive timed DLC and features for games from Activision and EA; Nintendo doesn't pay for those.

MS is making a Halo TV series, produced by Steven Spielberg, exclusive to Xbox Live; Nintendo wouldn't pay for that.

MS has signed a deal with the NFL for exclusive content; Nintendo wouldn't pay for that.

MS is going to have a huge presense at E3; Nintendo has decided not to pay for that.

MS is paying for a vast amount of varying app's for the Xbox One; Nintendo has a deal for Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix.

To me, everything that MS did yesterday, from the way they presented the Xbox One to exclusive content to features of the system itself screams a HUGE amount of $$$$$ being spent. The difference between the two companies, to me, is stunning.

I guess they weren't quite done waffling about the always on. Slashdot says there IS an online activation requirement.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/05/22/0248217/xbox-one-no-always-online-requirement-but-needs-to-phone-home

People are shocked when they have to deal with activation on their PC. It's going to be LOVELY on a game console :P

• Like 2

All you have to do is post links and say what the articles are about. Posting long articles doesn't guarantee that anyone will read them. It's more of a guarantee that they'll get pissed off that they have to scroll down so far to get to real posts and finally complain to a moderator that you are spamming the thread with long articles that you didn't write and you'll get banned from the thread or people will simply put you on ignore and your 'helpful' posts won't be seen at all.

normally, I'd agree but the issue is an article is already being filtered through the eyes of the writer. then when you just put a brief summary, you're filtering it again. in this case, through my eyes which is another layer of interpretation. and my interpretation isn't the same interpretation that you would have of the information. and then you worry that you're putting some conjecture out there that may be wrong or misleading. and wrong information stays out there and muddles up everything. Personally, I don't like to push opinions onto others. this way, I'm just laying the info out so people make their own decisions. Moycon was joking that there's no info out there so I grabbed some info for him. no harm. no foul. I don't think I've ever posited the info off as my own writing.

normally, I'd agree but the issue is an article is already being filtered through the eyes of the writer. then when you just put a brief summary, you're filtering it again. in this case, through my eyes which is another layer of interpretation. and my interpretation isn't the same interpretation that you would have of the information. and then you worry that you're putting some conjecture out there that may be wrong or misleading. and wrong information stays out there and muddles up everything. Personally, I don't like to push opinions onto others. this way, I'm just laying the info out so people make their own decisions.

You don't have to write your own summary and muddy the waters. You can simply do something like this:

Hey dudes, check out these links:

Hands-on with Xbox One (How it looks, caressing the controller, flapping around in front of Kinect 2.0 and hearing about the Skype "vision")

Call of Duty: Ghosts written by 'Syriana' and 'Traffic' scribe Stephen Gaghan

Live-action Halo “TV series” coming to Xbox One

People are capable of clicking on links. If they can't, they shouldn't be using the Internet. They don't need you to post large portions of articles that take up a ton of space. If you have some kind of mental disorder that compels you to illegally post full articles, put them inside of spoiler tags so people won't have to do so much scrolling to get to the real posts.

Can you see me now?

no harm. no foul.

Bullshit. Posting full articles or large portions of articles is illegal and even if it wasn't, it's a f*cking pain in the ass to scroll past your stolen content. You're screwing up the flow of the conversation with your article SPAM.

I don't think I've ever posited the info off as my own writing.

As far as I know, nobody said you did. You're just making it difficult to read actual posts because we have to scroll past your illegal article SPAM.

It sounds like multiple accounts can now use the same Xbox Live subscription on the XBox One. So now we can setup multiple personalized home pages, friends lists and other items. At least it is not gamer-tag specific anymore. I hope this change is for the 360 too. The family pack is now the basic xbox live subscription.

• Like 1

Ah I gotcha. You're talking about the console that hasn't been released yet, that someone reported a comment was made about. I was thinking Xbox 360 when I read that about the servers being shut down, since they will be shut down sooner than later. In my eyes I can discuss the Xbox 360 and actually know what I'm talking about. As far as the Xbox One... Not so much. Speculate away, I'll wait for confirmation before jumping to conclusions there. :cool:

I see

Still, it's a bit of an issue. You're tied to possibly one piece of hardware unless you go to the expense down the road while you still can to tie your games to several spare consoles by taking one offline permanently and re-associating your licenses to a newer console and repeating the process. And you're at the mercy of things like hard drives, high RPM disc drives, consoles that create a lot of heat, and so on no matter what you do.

But between that ability to still play most of your 360 DLC offline and associate it with other consoles, the low cost of much of it like XBLA games, and the entertainment value of it, I've sort of made an exception this generation. As I see it things like the vast majority of the XBLA lineup just wouldn't exist without the digital model. So I'm not holding it against it since it's not putting content I expect on retail disc into a less desirable medium.

But the thought of far more severe limitations with full priced retail software, even that which you own on disc, is likely a deal breaker for me. And you very well may not even have vague wishful thinking like visualizing hacks and high quality emulation to partially resolve those issues years later if some of this comes to pass like off-loading computations for games to the cloud. How do you have a console to process something it was never programmed to handle?

Just because the Xbox, PSP, and Wii were hacked to a high degree and that several older consoles are emulated very well today that are predominantly from 20 years ago or more isn't a guarantee for any current generation console quickly being cracked wide open or emulated for PC users to a high degree after support concludes (And it's a rather poor future even if it does compared to what we've enjoyed for decades). So at least for me, that's never reason to dismiss concerns like these.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

This whole thing strikes me as an omelet, the elements spread over so that any sort of identity is lost. Comparing the focus on games that the original Xbox and early 360 had and this, it's depressing how things changed for worse, but that's Windows 8 Microsoft I guess. The 24 hour online check is just dumb and further reinforces the idea that a gaming PC is a better investment as the limitations of the DRM are similar, but there's more choice and lower prices with the PC (nevermind the non-stagnant hardware).

Wii U may be an (apparent) disaster, but at least there's originality to the system and a focus on games with Miiverse and a different controller (as useless as I think it is). PS4's concept goes even beyond with streaming and helping friends via cloud play for example. That's two consoles that know what they want to be at least, a gamer's machine.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never cared for my systems to be linked and under one ecosystem. I'm happy to have my Steam account, my Google account, my Nintendo Club account and my Nintendo games, my Windows PC and Android phone. Never felt the need for these systems to connect beyond transferring files, and I hate the idea of being under one company's wing. That's probably why I like Nintendo's online hesitation and their desire to only be your game's machine, nothing else.

PS. Xbox One looks like the most uninspired VCR ever.

Edited by AtticGamer
  • Like 1