IGNORED

SCART/VGA/S-Video A/V mod interest check

GroovyBee

New A/V design  

65 members have voted

1. 1. For a new A/V mod I'd like it to output one (or more) of the following?

• RGB SCART
    • VGA (640x480)
    • S-Video
  2. 2. What region should the A/V mod be for?

• PAL
    • NTSC
    • NTSC/PAL switchable

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Should the mods become available, would you offer an installation service? I have no EE training and wouldn't be willing to crack open one of my Intv units for fear I would break it.

I'm in the UK so shipping weighty items like Intys to and from me is going to be very expensive. If you find somebody on your side of the pond to do it then that'd be the best solution. I see pimpmaul69 has volunteered his mod services and maybe others will come forward too. If you want to try and get it done in your city/town try and find a retro computer/amateur radio club because there are bound to be some friendly people there who can help. Failing that try local colleges or university electronics departments. Finding a small independent (mom and pop style) repair shop is quite difficult these days but you may be lucky in your area. You could also ask around at any retro events in your area as well.

I'll provide a photo heavy installation guide that will cover Inty II and a PAL Inty I. If people take pictures of their installs then they can be added as well (as long as they give me permission to do so). The PCB will be designed to be installed with minimal fuss and soldering.

• Like 1

RGB should make a fine picture from a NTSC machine (with power converter) on every RGB monitor?

So we can play Dreadnaught Factor in Europe at last?

It would depend on the monitor because the sync and colour signals are at the voltage levels SCART expects.

It'd probably be less hassle for me just to fix the game's ROM :lol:.

GB will VGA follow a couple of months after RGB?

To be honest I'm quite surprised how popular VGA is. I made the assumption that people would pretty much just want S-video or SCART when I created the poll. The VGA design will use some of the analogue circuits that the SCART/S-video design uses but it needs a scan line buffer for the doubler so it'll have a more complex digital section. Without running into signal routing issues there isn't space on the PCB for all 3 designs so VGA will be separate.

I don't have a time frame for when the AV mods will be available at the moment but I'll open a pre-order once I have a working design. The pre-order will run for a couple of months so there will be plenty of time.

If people don't want to wait and want to jump in with a prototype PCB then I'd have to think about that because they'd be much more expensive than a "group buy" with a pre-order.

Getting back to your original question the first AV mods on offer will be SCART and S-video with VGA coming later on.

A dream would come true. :)

Dreadnaught Factor seems to have visual glitches in jzintv, but not all the time. Does it play 100% OK on real NTSC? Its writing to registers out of time according to the jzintv debugger. Curiously, the programmer's name "T J Loughry" is in the ROM occupying the last few words as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My Inty II should be here next week so I'll be able to finish off the design, layout a PCB and get a few prototypes made after that. If anybody has photos of games running on their existing AV mods that have problems like ghosting, dot crawl, colours washed out and so on it'd be good to see them as a comparison.

My Inty II should be here next week so I'll be able to finish off the design, layout a PCB and get a few prototypes made after that. If anybody has photos of games running on their existing AV mods that have problems like ghosting, dot crawl, colours washed out and so on it'd be good to see them as a comparison.

;-)

• Like 1

from my av mods the only problem i have seen is ghosting double of your character and it is a board variation problem so i would assume you will bypass that problem altogether. Dot crawl i have only seen from using a standard rca cable, bad rf cable or bad rf unit. Nothing on composite. However the composite mod creates weird issue where the image doubles like a color bleed on certain hi def tv's but looks great on others, projection tv's, and tube tv's. ignore the red. Doesnt photo right. Use the green as reference

post-30773-0-28462700-1368659051_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GB, someone mentioned in another thread that your mod won't be compatible with the System Changer. Is this true?

I would think that it wouldn't because the mod will plug into the STIC socket, so the composite video signal from the System Changer won't be carried over.

Edited by ApolloBoy

GB, someone mentioned in another thread that your mod won't be compatible with the System Changer. Is this true?

The new AV mod hooks onto the video signals in their digital form at the STIC. The composite video input from the cart slot is mixed into the Inty's own composite video signal much later on. The new AV mod design won't mix the cart slot's composite video into VGA, RGB SCART or S-Video because it adds too much additional complexity and cost to be design. If I add support for composite video out of the new AV mod then potentially it could be mixed into that but I haven't decided on that yet.

You won't lose System Changer functionality in an AV modded Inty because the built in RF still works so you can always resort back to that.

The new AV mod hooks onto the video signals in their digital form at the STIC. The composite video input from the cart slot is mixed into the Inty's own composite video signal much later on. The new AV mod design won't mix the cart slot's composite video into VGA, RGB SCART or S-Video because it adds too much additional complexity and cost to be design. If I add support for composite video out of the new AV mod then potentially it could be mixed into that but I haven't decided on that yet.

You won't lose System Changer functionality in an AV modded Inty because the built in RF still works so you can always resort back to that.

Swoosh!

:dunce:

• Like 1