IGNORED

SCART/VGA/S-Video A/V mod interest check

GroovyBee

New A/V design  

65 members have voted

1. 1. For a new A/V mod I'd like it to output one (or more) of the following?

• RGB SCART
    • VGA (640x480)
    • S-Video
  2. 2. What region should the A/V mod be for?

• PAL
    • NTSC
    • NTSC/PAL switchable

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest I'm quite surprised how popular VGA is. I made the assumption that people would pretty much just want S-video or SCART when I created the poll. The VGA design will use some of the analogue circuits that the SCART/S-video design uses but it needs a scan line buffer for the doubler so it'll have a more complex digital section. Without running into signal routing issues there isn't space on the PCB for all 3 designs so VGA will be separate.

I don't have a time frame for when the AV mods will be available at the moment but I'll open a pre-order once I have a working design. The pre-order will run for a couple of months so there will be plenty of time.

If people don't want to wait and want to jump in with a prototype PCB then I'd have to think about that because they'd be much more expensive than a "group buy" with a pre-order.

Getting back to your original question the first AV mods on offer will be SCART and S-video with VGA coming later on.

Any thoughts about adding RGB to component, like:

http://circuits.linear.com/158

• 1 month later...

So there's still not a good AV solution, even if it's just composite?

I tried the currently-existing AV mod on both my Sears Video Arcade and INTV II back when I had an INTV collection and it never looked any better than RF. Honestly I wouldn't consider picking up an Intellivision again unless there was actually a *good* video mod available.

I just use the rca to coax and it looks great. I've considered trying an Av mod but never been compelled to do so simply because even on my led tv it's looking fine - nary a whisper of noise. Granted, these old beasties can be temperamental, and iirc this one I replaced the rf module.

I did try tweaking some color/brightness/contrast Settings since some color combinations bleed a bit. Red and purple roses in Spina the Bee, I'm lookin' at you...

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...