IGNORED

Fallen Angels

DrTypo

7 minutes ago, HEXdidnt said:

Just been playing this game, having burnt it to my last CD-R after a bunch of attempts with some other .CDI images in DiscJuggler v6. I wasn't optimistic, as I've got a DVD+RW drive that offers me 10x speed as a minimum burn speed, and only got one game 'backup' to work, but Fallen Angels worked perfectly.

I'm only dimly aware of Rescue on Fractalus - seen playthroughs of the C64 version on YouTube, but I owned a Spectrum back in the day, and its conversion was pretty dire. Fallen Angels is great fun, though - visually impressive, decent sound, fluid movement, responsive controls and the difficulty ramps up slowly. Nothing groundbreaking, perhaps - except in terms of presentation, which is possibly better than a lot of commercially published Jaguar games. Really great work.

Only thing I find a little weird is that it's only possible to return to the mothership when the message 'Mothership' appears and, in between times, one just has to fly around trying not to get shot down. Was that the case in the original?

The Atari version was THE version to play back in the day, faster speed, better colour and sound than the C64 version, I could play it for hours, but found boredom set in rather quickly when i moved onto the C64 and picked it up again there. 

10 minutes ago, HEXdidnt said:

Only thing I find a little weird is that it's only possible to return to the mothership when the message 'Mothership' appears and, in between times, one just has to fly around trying not to get shot down. Was that the case in the original?

I'm only familiar with this version, the PC version (Which is also really nice!), and the main one I play being on the 5200 and Atari 8-bits. On the 5200 version and the PC remake, you just have to get enough pilots to meet the quota for that level and then you are able to leave to the Mothership once you have done so. Although it isn't required to do so an I usually fly around quite a bit more to rescue additional pilots for extra bonus points.

It has been sometime since I played Fallen Angels on the jag so I don't remember if that was the only time you could boost back to the mothership but it would seem odd to change that aspect from other versions I've played.

9 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

Just checked with the game manual, there were set specifics regarding being able to return to the mothership. 

Meet your quota or run out of energy. 

Much obliged - that makes more sense, then. I guess it could be argued that it's orbiting the planet and only in range every so often.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

DON’T LOOK AT PAGE 7. YOUR IQ WILL FALL UNCONTROLLABLY AND YOU WILL NEVER RECOVER.

Anyhow:

On 7/19/2021 at 1:14 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

I noticed on this second version; that you can no longer hear the pilot banging on your ship door to be let in.  Is this intentional @DrTypo or did it just get left out? 

This is fixed in the version in the DrTypo collection.

How can you tell when a crashed ship has an alien in it? I got game overed by a gorn in my first serious game ever. It was very shocking!

0329DB3A-F679-44C5-A6C0-BC493C2A384E.thumb.jpeg.e9b8403e6d2ab66cd0cf4191aa4fdc16.jpeg

Sucks that a ship full of trained combat pilots can’t fight one alien off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

DON’T LOOK AT PAGE 7. YOUR IQ WILL FALL UNCONTROLLABLY AND YOU WILL NEVER RECOVER.

Anyhow:

This is fixed in the version in the DrTypo collection.

How can you tell when a crashed ship has an alien in it? I got game overed by a gorn in my first serious game ever. It was very shocking!

0329DB3A-F679-44C5-A6C0-BC493C2A384E.thumb.jpeg.e9b8403e6d2ab66cd0cf4191aa4fdc16.jpeg

Sucks that a ship full of trained combat pilots can’t fight one alien off.

Three consoles on a console television? That’s abundant consoles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 8 months later...

No conversion necessary. I'm using this rom from DrTypo post:

And it runs great with the- force Jaguar GD emulation option in BigPEmu.

image.thumb.png.439f59a5abb471836ecfa7c7e5ca8420.png

except I just noticed it's not rendering in these two area's. bizarre 

I tried both roms and they both have this odd issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 11:46 AM, Guest said:

No conversion necessary. I'm using this rom from DrTypo post:

And it runs great with the- force Jaguar GD emulation option in BigPEmu.

image.thumb.png.439f59a5abb471836ecfa7c7e5ca8420.png

except I just noticed it's not rendering in these two area's. bizarre 

I tried both roms and they both have this odd issue.

Do you have the latest version of the emulator?  It's rendering properly for me.