IGNORED

Space Wars on Vectrex

almightytodd

I just discovered this game in emulation today. I've played many versions of it including the MAME of the original and the Atari arcade version (Orbit), but the Vectrex port is the first one I've encountered with a single-player mode and an A.I. opponent. Some of the other Vectrex titles are interesting interpretations of arcade games such as "Rip-off" and "Star Castle". I find it interesting that the Vectrex designers chose the portrait orientation when most vector-graphics arcade titles were landscape.

I used to play this game for hours with a friend, along with the arcade version. It's too bad they didn't make the vectrex screen rotate on to it's side so you could play this game with a wider screen. I seem to remember a lot of the early arcade machines screens were oriented with the long side of the monitor up and down, but not Space War or Asteroids or Rip Off, all games very well implemented on the Vectrex.

It's too bad they didn't make the vectrex screen rotate on to it's side so you could play this game with a wider screen.

It's a Vectrex..

You can just lie it down...

All the air flow venting is on the back, so it shouldn't matter...

I haven't seen any games do that tho...

desiv

(I think that's what you meant by "they didn't make the vectrex screen rotate"???)

Edited by desiv

It's a Vectrex..

You can just lie it down...

All the air flow venting is on the back, so it shouldn't matter...

I haven't seen any games do that tho...

desiv

(I think that's what you meant by "they didn't make the vectrex screen rotate"???)

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've seen a few PC monitors that were designed to allow you to physically orient them either way, and the major operating systems these days (at least Windows & Linux) allow you to configure the software to work correctly. I guess the Vectrex hardware wouldn't prevent a game from working that way, but as far as games taking advantage of that possibility, I know of none, although someone could have (or maybe has already) coded a homebrew that does. I would think hacking an existing program might not be that hard, it's just an x/y transformation.