IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2013 - Entries

skr

I must admit that I couldn´t figure out how to create a working ATL-file. I do not have Atari Schreiber (or Atari Writer) and the only text editors I use on the Atari are Austro Text and The Last Word. But when I create a simple INDEX.ATL like

<SL>
ABBUC SWC 2013
<BL>
The Results

and then start the viewer, I only get a full black screen. What´s wrong here?

Thanks to all the authors for putting so much energy and time into the programs. I am sure the few hours I spent trying out all the programs were too few to really do them justice. I might have a bias towards those games that are easy to pick up but I'll try to get a bit more time with the more complex ones although I have just mailed my ballot.

My favourite is Assembloids with Rolltris second although I found many others - including some 10-liners - quite impressive, too. My son couldn't believe that you could program a racing game in just ten lines.

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm sure the voting is over, so I am giving my score here, sorry for giving low points for certain titles.

1) Assembloids - 10 points

2) ATL Viewer - 1 point

3) Battle Eagle - 6 points

4) Deathchase XE - 7 points

5) Dev War - 1 point

6) Fujitime - 7 points

7) Heli in the caves - 8 points

8) Rolltris - 10 points

9) Slovenian Quiz - 2 points

10) Speedway One - 4 points

11) Basic TEN-Liners - 1 point

12) The hunt - 1 point

13) X-8 - 8 points

14) Xirius Defect - 7 points

The reason I gave certain titles 1 or 2 points is that I simply couldn't get it working on my atari 800xl, or I simply did not understand what the use of the software was.

Rolltris and Assembloids are my absolute favorite games this year.

Hello guys

At the JHV, SKR told me he would post the result on the ABBUC website the same day and here on sunday. Since it's sunday already, I guess it's safe to say that the results will not be posted on the ABBUC website on the day of the JHV. :-(

Sincerely

Mathy

Well, now the results are in (whatever they are), here is what I would have voted if I'd had chance. The deadline came too quickly for me after receiving the disks. I saw that two games could have the same points also...

1) Assembloids - 10 points (Very addictive game)

2) ATL Viewer - 2 points

3) Battle Eagle - 7 points

4) Deathchase XE - 8 points

5) Dev War - 2 points

6) Fujitime - 3 points

7) Heli in the caves - 6 points

8: Rolltris - 8 points

9) Slovenian Quiz - 3 points (I got 8/15 on this first time without knowing a word of Slovenian!)

10) Speedway One - 5 points (Ignore the basic graphics, this is quite addictive)

11) Basic TEN-Liners - 1 point

12) The hunt - 3 points

13) X-8 - 8 points (would probably have got 9 if the diagonal bullets worked)

14) Xirius Defect - 5 points

• Like 1

This is a request for Xuel/Lyren and Jose, I've read that you are working on an improved version of X:8, could I request that you do not call this game X:8? The reason is, people will get the versions mixed up and only store one copy (maybe not the one that they thought that they'd stored away). If it was called "X:8++" or "X:8 Unleashed" or something similar, it would be easy to know which version that you have in your collection. And also, the extra word(s) in the name will make it easier to find in search engines. This is only a suggestion though, don't feel pressured into it!

My points for the best 8 games:

The Hunt - 10 points (very good sound and gameplay - if you've read and understand the manual)

X:8 - 8 points (very good shooter, but as you can see the game isn't finished yet)

Assembloids - 8 points (not much to do, but very addictive)

Deathchase XE - 7 points (good 3D game, gameplay is a little bit simple)

Battle Eagle - 7 points (good shooter, level 1 is too difficult compared to later levels)

Rolltris - 7 points (good, an option to play real Tetris would be nice)

Xirious Defect - 6 points (a bit too easy)

Heli in the Caves - 5 points (looks good, but gameplay at the beginning is very boring)

And I forgot to post the score of my own game "Moonlander" (part of the Tenliners): 1027 points

The BASIC Tenliners got the 9th place in the contest. A good place compared to the lots of excellent other entries :-)

The title screen of "The Hunt" is distorted. Maybe this is a problem on some real ATARIs preventing a start. On my ATARI the title is displayed stable (but distorted), and "The Hunt" starts normally.