IGNORED

What do you think about Galaga 7800?

Mister-VCS

...in comparison with the NES-version and the arcade-original? At first, i was shocked how slow it is- but in expert-mode this game is a blast!

The sound-effects could be better (thank you Atari for the 2600 soundchip) - the enemy-shots look like from an O2-game- and why are the

letters so fat?

A good port that could be made great, by a few things:

Sprites need improvement...Handled nicely by KevinMos3 here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210166-galaga-new-ship-more/

I agree 100% on the speed issue. The Intermediate mode is more like a beginner mode. It's too slow. Thankfully, Expert, brings the game up to speed - Perhaps a little too fast to start, but much better than the very slow Intermediate setting.

My last issue with it respects the playfield. It is far too wide in comparison to the Arcade (Making the game challenge easier). I wish the screen was narrowed down, and perhaps could be handled the same way the NES did regarding layout.

Respecting the NES, the top enemy row and your ship sprites are too big - Otherwise it is very good.

I was thinking the same thing. Can all the colors be done on the screen at the same time? I don't understand 320B very well.

It depends how we arrange them. Normally, for 320B mode, we have only two of the eight palettes available, and of that - if we turn transparency on - only two out of the three colors for each palette. But, I found out recently from Schmutzpuppe that with certain sprite definitions, you *can* actually have all three colors for the two palettes with transparency (take a look at his 'Froggie' game for an example).

Of course, you can change colors with a DLI, but I don't really see that helping here, as everything (except the player) can basically be in any zone of the screen.

It's something to look into...

• Like 2

The original GALAGA game was great and our recent improvements even better.

As Perry says we have the SL. We also have the DA.

NTSC GALAGA DISASSEMBLY

GalagaDisassembly7.rtf

NTSC ORIGINAL BINARY

GALAGA_NTSC_B471.bin

To me, it's T4T time (TIME FOR TEPPERWARE). Sure there's a lot of things we can do to the game - most of my ideas are exotic and have nothing to do with the original game. So we won't talk about that right now.

Fans have been talking about a Fast Fire feature. I've been looking at that and still don't have the answer. But we can find the code where the firebutton is input (INPT4) and when the missile firing sound is made at the other end of the code. The delay appeared to be MISTIMER (missile timer), but I zeroed out those entries and the delay is still there.

If you're tired of hitting the fire button, change $8BA2 from $30$EF to $EA$EA, and the game will shoot everything in sight - no fire button is necessary.

If we jumper $8BA4 (GOFIRE) to $8C4F (GOFIRE2) you can hear the shot fired as fast as you hit the fire button. But the game doesn't work (yet).

TEST BIN (FAILS)

GALAGA_TEST.bin

Here's the code of interest. I'm sure someone can figure this out faster than me.

GALAGA_MISTIMER.rtf

GL2A ///BLUEMAN///

Do all engineers take a "speak in acronym, not english" course in school? :grin: What is "DA" and what is "SL"?

LOL OMG acronyms *smh*

source list and disassembly?

People call me a DA quite a bit online but that's probably not the same thing.

• Like 1

lol - thanks - that reminds me, I need to try to figure out Gorf's source code for Gorf... He did too good of a job to let it go to waste.

Absolutely. It actually may be a good thing to parse out the Galaxian code and make a full version of Galaxian itself first - then use THAT as a building-stone for Gorf, Phoenix, and Galaga (Arcade).. and Gaplus, natch. :)

• 2 weeks later...