IGNORED

Time travel to golden age of video games?

I wouldn't mind going back and just getting a couple of those $32,000 NES games...

And a few other rare and currently expensive games...

Maybe this method would work really, really well for some of the "rare" titles that originally sat for weeks on shelves, but nobody wanted until decades later, but to procure a true "holy grail" like Air Raid or Stadium events, even with a time machine, you would literally have to be standing in the right place at the right time with money in hand. Figuring out what that exact "right place" and "right time" are, may not be an easy task. Also many common games aren't worth today what they sold for then, for instance, Ms Pacman was $40 brand new, yet you can easily procure a sealed copy today for $25. Then there's the issue of finding old currency to travel back in time with. If you show up in 1983 with a wad of crisp new redesigned 2010 series $20 bills, you will likely have a lot of explaining to do when the FBI or CIA catches you with it in hand. And I guarantee they will not believe you BS "time machine" story. Even if you convince them, you will still probably be locked up and the time machine will be confiscated. Worse, since 1983 is still considered part of the "cold war" era, with all your fancy tech gadgets, they will likely brand you as a "commie" spy, and you'll never see the light of day again... :spidey:

Back to the Future, baby...

^^ I need to watch this movie DVD trilogy again. :grin:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 3

Maybe this method would work really, really well for some of the "rare" titles that originally sat for weeks on shelves, but nobody wanted until decades later, but to procure a true "holy grail" like Air Raid or Stadium events, even with a time machine, you would literally have to be standing in the right place at the right time with money in hand. Figuring out what that exact "right place" and "right time" are, may not be an easy task. Also many common games aren't worth today what they sold for then, for instance, Ms Pacman was $40 brand new, yet you can easily procure a sealed copy today for $25. Then there's the issue of finding old currency to travel back in time with. If you show up in 1983 with a wad of crisp new redesigned 2010 series $20 bills, you will likely have a lot of explaining to do when the FBI or CIA catches you with it in hand. And I guarantee they will not believe you BS "time machine" story. Even if you convince them, you will still probably be locked up and the time machine will be confiscated. Worse, since 1983 is still considered part of the "cold war" era, with all your fancy tech gadgets, they will likely brand you as a "commie" spy, and you'll never see the light of day again... :spidey:

Never let em see your tech gadgets ;)

• Like 1

Never let em see your tech gadgets ;)

Nah, I thought I'd travel back to 1985, march into Redmond, and show a Nintendo executive how to play super Mario brothers on a 3DS.

Better yet, fly to Kyoto Japan, find Myamoto's boyhood home, break into his parent's house, and plant a Donkey Kong arcade unit in his garage, leave it plugged in and set to free play. :evil:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Nah, I thought I'd travel back to 1985, march into Redmond, and show a Nintendo executive how to play super Mario brothers on a 3DS.

Better yet, fly to Kyoto Japan, find Myamoto's boyhood home, break into his parent's house, and plant a Donkey Kong arcade unit in his garage, leave it plugged in and set to free play. :evil:

They'd Chit if you took a 70" 3d led flatscreen back to 1975 and told them their crt sets are doodoo. :lol:

• Like 1

Nah, you don't use currency, you use valuables. Use the machine to first go back and get gold or silver (who knows, tell people you're god or something when you appear and tell them to give you gold) then go to the 80/90's with the gold. Sell the gold for cash, use the cash to buy the games, bring the games to the future...

Wait... as far as that goes... why bother with the middle man... just bring the gold to the future/present and sell it at the increased prices...

What the hell, don't pay for anything. Go back and mug someone then bring the loot to the future.

So I guess the question is; do you go back and buy a few games for $10 knowing that they'll be $30,000 games in the future, or do you just go back, make a triple butt-load of money and just buy $30,000 games games now, grind them into a fine powder and snort them off the back of an expensive prostitute? Obviously I'm for option b, but what if we went back and 'made' some $30,000 video games. ...by killing the game's creators when the game is finished but unreleased. It'd take more effort, but not nearly as much effort as, say, building a time machine.

Why not just go 30 years into the future, bring back a traincar load of whatever game system they have and sell them for $500,000 a pop? Then once our current time reverse-engineers it, go another 30 years forward and bring another batch back.

Or take an army into the future loot a city and come back. Take things, kill people, rape them in the eye sockets. Remember, if it happened in the future, it hasn't really happened and you can't get in any trouble for it as long as you make it back. You're using the future to change the present anyway--none of those people will even exist once you leave.

Edited by Reaperman

So I guess the question is; do you go back and buy a few games for $10 knowing that they'll be $30,000 games in the future, or do you just go back, make a triple butt-load of money and just buy $30,000 games games now, grind them into a fine powder and snort them off the back of an expensive prostitute? Obviously I'm for option b, but what if we went back and 'made' some $30,000 video games. ...by killing the game's creators when the game is finished but unreleased. It'd take more effort, but not nearly as much effort as, say, building a time machine.

There was a large factory shipment of Air Raids destined for the US. I flew my Delorian back in time and hijacked the shipment. Now I'm sitting on a stockpile of 10,000 sealed CIB Air Raids and I'm trying to figure out how to monetize my investment. I could sell a handful of them for 30k, but that value will drop as it is discovered that I am tapping some undisclosed source. I'll need to trickle my output over time, but the more I sell, the less I can sell them for. Then I have to look like multiple sellers from different geographical areas or else people will catch on to my money scheme. Even if it trickles down to $100 a piece, I still stand to make a cool million out of it. But someone will buy one an post online video about how badly it sucks, and that will hurt my bottom dollar. Then there's income tax to think about. :ponder:

Million dollar question: how many Air Raids is too many?

Edited by stardust4ever

Or serving the worlds crappiest pizzas as an excuse for people to come and play games at his Chuck-E-Cheese arcade/restaurant chain. :roll:

There are crappier pizzas elsewhere now that CEC "improved" their recipe, but the games are completely uninteresting for adults these days where you tolerate the pizza while the kids chase each other around and collect tickets to exchange for lame toys.

There are crappier pizzas elsewhere now that CEC "improved" their recipe, but the games are completely uninteresting for adults these days where you tolerate the pizza while the kids chase each other around and collect tickets to exchange for lame toys.

Nearly every arcade in town is full of ticket dispensing machines. Many don't have any real video games at all, and those that do, well many of the modern video games are pretty lame. And good luck trying to find a working pinball machine anywhere. :???:

Unrelated, but anybody know where I can buy bulk generic game tokens at a steeply discounted price? :evil:

Edited by stardust4ever

Nearly every arcade in town is full of ticket dispensing machines. Many don't have any real video games at all, and those that do, well many of the modern video games are pretty lame. And good luck trying to find a working pinball machine anywhere. :???:

Unrelated, but anybody know where I can buy bulk generic game tokens at a steeply discounted price? :evil:

It's the same everywhere I go. No pinball machines. Very few games and mostly crappy. Nearly all paper tickets.

It's the same everywhere I go. No pinball machines. Very few games and mostly crappy. Nearly all paper tickets.

Ticket dispensers killed the video arcade, just like in the old 80s song, "Video killed the radio star..." :music:

And honestly, I couldn't give a flying flip about deer hunting and bass fishing simulators. :razz:

It seems like the only thing that gets my quarters nowadays are the Ms Pacman / Galaga Class of '81 machines and an occasional bootleg "multicade", but come on at give us some variety.

Thats the only thing i've put quarters into lately was a multicade. Had many games in it and an lcd screen. Go figure.

Why not just go 30 years into the future, bring back a traincar load of whatever game system they have and sell them for $500,000 a pop? Then once our current time reverse-engineers it, go another 30 years forward and bring another batch back.

You would only have to go 30 years into the future once. When you bring back technology from 30 years in the future, the reverse engineering of it in the present would cause the 30 years in the future to be more advanced. It would cause a loop that would produce the most advancement in technology that can possibility happen in 30 years because you would be bringing back technology you helped create. It would be like you went into the future and brought back technology an infinite amount of times.

• Like 1

You would only have to go 30 years into the future once. When you bring back technology from 30 years in the future, the reverse engineering of it in the present would cause the 30 years in the future to be more advanced. It would cause a loop that would produce the most advancement in technology that can possibility happen in 30 years because you would be bringing back technology you helped create. It would be like you went into the future and brought back technology an infinite amount of times.

So, the best thing would be to go 30 years in the future, pick up the best game systems, take them all 60 years back (to 30 years ago) for reverse engineering, then come back to the present and see what we get after 30 years of improvements. Be sure and get back here RIGHT BEFORE you went 30 years into the future to tell yourself what happened and, voila, a recursive improvement loop! You could probably fund it with a kickstarter project.

• Like 3

So, the best thing would be to go 30 years in the future, pick up the best game systems, take them all 60 years back (to 30 years ago) for reverse engineering, then come back to the present and see what we get after 30 years of improvements. Be sure and get back here RIGHT BEFORE you went 30 years into the future to tell yourself what happened and, voila, a recursive improvement loop! You could probably fund it with a kickstarter project.

That would work, kinda. The best part would be that you would know that your mission will be successful before you even attempt it because your future self would have just now told you. If you don't see your future self then you know not to go. The worst part would be that you wouldn't notice any difference with the present because it would already be changed before you leave and when you get back you would be shocked that the present is exactly how you remembered it.

So if I pledge to devote the entire rest of my life to time travel research, and my future self fails to come back to an hour from now and 'validate my life's work' with a keg of beer and at least 20 backup dancers, I'll know that all those years meant nothing and I shouldn't continue to try.

Actually I also plan to hire a trustworthy assistant whose entire job it is to fulfill the requests that I write in my special notebook. Entry #1: 7/22/2013 time: 0600 central time. Wake me with the doorbell, holding my breakfast of panda bacon and orphan tears.

To get back to the initial topic about going back for video games--I wouldn't want to risk my new position as the master of time by going backward to the point where I might prevent myself from existing or discovering time travel. That'd just be stupid. Funny that as I type this, I don't seem to recall eating panda for breakfast, but maybe it takes time a while to 'catch up' after you rip it a new one...

I just watched Bill and Ted last night. That modded phone booth was totally awesome, dudes! Seriously though, wouldn't kidnapping a dozen or so people from the past just to use as stage props for a history report, just rip a gigantic hole in the space-time continuum?

I think it's OK as long as you put 'em back and make 'em think it was all a dream.