IGNORED

Alamogordo approves Atari excavation

Random Terrain

My big guess is you have to watch their shows to know what they have found.

I'm sure some guy with a smart phone or a news crew will get something on video before the official documentary is released.

[Edit: The video below has nothing to do with my comment above. It's just a related video that some people may not have seen yet.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm74NOaOL64

I'm sure some guy with a smart phone or a news crew will get something on video before the official documentary is released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm74NOaOL64

It's the same video I watched few days ago.

It doesn't bring anything news.

Fuel Industries lets the reporters entering the site and taking shots for the tv news.

I don't think they left everybody taking shots with smartphones.

Or it will ruin theiir documentaries.

Edited by Serguei2

That video has nothing to do with my comment. It's just a related video. There's no way they'll be able to stop random guys with smart phones or reporters sneaking around with telephoto lenses.

It doesn't bring anything news.

Fuel Industries lets the reporters entering the site and taking shots for the tv news.

I don't think they left everybody taking shots with smartphones.

Or it will ruin theiir documentaries.

Not sure how to read your statement. Because that video was not by Fuel Industries, it was a local news report. Fuel had nothing to do with letting reporters in, they haven't even set foot on the site yet. That news report is from when they first visited City Hall to get permission to dig.

Likewise from the local reporters I talked to there, both they and the members of City Hall had their doubts as to whether Fuel would even show up to do the dig, they think it's just for publicity as well.

That video has nothing to do with my comment. It's just a related video. There's no way they'll be able to stop random guys with smart phones or reporters sneaking around with telephoto lenses.

Yeah, telephoto lens can take snapshots of the site without trespassing.

They're probably right. We haven't heard any updates on this since the story initially broke.

100 acres is a huge plot of land. Excavating 100s of feet of dirt will not be cheap anywhere, nor will the surveying equipment necessary to try to pinpoint prime areas to dig. GPS didn't exist (at least not for civilian use) back when the stuff was buried, so there's likely no record of the exact location. The fact that the haystack is a ginormous sespool doesn't help. They're literally trying to find a needle in a haystack. I predict they will find a lot of fascinating loot, but not the games they set out to find. It's there, but finding it is doubtful. However, I really, really, really, really, really wish for this project to succeed. However, odds are against them unless there is some wealthy billionaire we don't know about funding the project. The fact they haven't started yet is disheartening. Edited by stardust4ever

They're probably right. We haven't heard any updates on this since the story initially broke.

On the positive side, it brought out people involved in the dumping or around then to witness it to make public statements again like in that video. And once again corroborating what we said: that it was a lot of hardware and a whole line of games that included ET, not that it was an ET dump. Anyone ever track when the idea of it being an ET dump first popped up? It wasn't in any of the newspaper accounts at the time. Earliest I was able to track it was in the mid 90s.

What if they dig and find millions of Pepsi Invader Cartridges?

There were never millions produced and I they were never for sale, there was a limited number manufactured (125) for a promo given directly to execs of the soda company.

I'm hoping they will find a bunch of 1090s and the cards to go with them. Plus a bunch of 1400s and 1450s. Yes, I'm dreaming. But it is a good dream.

Allan

Very likely if it turns out that more were produced than sold. However, they probably won't be very usable at this stage.

Stardust, what are you talking about? They were never sold or sent for mass production, there was just a limited engineering prototype run (these are runs that were done at Atari to use for evaluation and promotion) of both the computers and the 1090. And the dumping in Alamogordo was done *while* these were still in development, not after. This is again how these wild rumors start.

All the working protos of the 1400s and 1450s either stayed with employees (which is how collectors have them today), and several were gotten rid of locally at the Atari company store and later after Tramiel found several, at Federated (though the badges were removed). And again, these were all from the limited run of engineering/promo protos. Likewise for the 1090s, of which an extremely (as in handful) were produced for engineers and only a couple in it's full format for use at trade shows and promo shots. As with the 1450, the 1090 was still in development during '84 when Atari inc. collapsed. In fact, Joe Decuir was back at Atari working on the 1090's card protos when the collapse happened.

There were never millions produced and I they were never for sale, there was a limited number manufactured (125) for a promo given directly to execs of the soda company.

That's just what the 'man' wants us to believe. Fight the power!

• Like 2

Stardust, what are you talking about?

I'm not familiar with the Atari computer line. The numbers mean nothing to me. I assumed the 1090s, 1400s, and 1450s were just different (if rather obscure) model numbers like the more common 800s and 1200s. Didn't know I'd have to file an ID-10T form just for bringing it up. It wouldn't have surprised me if a product got mass produced and failed at market, that the remaining stock would get discarded. Usually failed products from a reputable company are highly collectable, much more so than successful products.

In fact, Joe Decuir was back at Atari working on the 1090's card protos when the collapse happened.

On a serious(?) note, did Joe ever talk about any cards they wanted to produce other than the ones that were started?

From www.atarimuseum.com:

CP/M card

80-column board

Memory board.

I was always curious if they had any other boards they wanted to make.

Allan

What if they find crappy common cartridges, broken consoles and office furniture!

That's actually what I expect them to find. Perhaps if they dig it up, some of the rarity listings will change, perhaps not. On the bright side, I'm sure that if there are Atari made cartridges there, some of their shells could be cleaned up and used for homebrew. I don't know if Atari was putting special hardware in their carts at the time. If they were, I bet some of that is still usable, too.