IGNORED

Intv2 to SMS adapter build

SMS to Intv2 adapter

I used the guide here

http://web.archive.o...intvsticky.html

**Newark**

TR1-MCRW125MA - 125ma fuse

.1 and .01 uf cap to clean up noise, if you leave out TV screen will show crap when you press button or direction

5205980-1 - screw and nut for db9 ports - need qty 2

1-745203-1 - db9 male - need qty 2, other plastic ones are too thick, and metal ones don't hold as well

SN7400N - quad nand

SN74LS266N - quard xnor

2-641609-1 - 14 pin DIP socket - need qty 2

**Digikey**

SR2003-DB9B-ND - db9 end panel - need qty 2, by 4 in case you mess up

SRA20G-ND - A20 Serpac case, very little room on rear panel, but it does work Serpac A27 in Gray might be better way to go. If so get the db9 end panels for A27 - comes with little rubber feet for bottom and (4) screws to hold case together. Serpac gray is very much like Intv2 gray, perhaps a shade lighter

SR6004-ND - PCB screw, little too long, as the start to make dent on bottom of case, but other than this they work good

**Mouser**

ST3U BusBoard Prototype Systems - this is the proto board to use

MF1/4DC4701F 4.7kohm pull up resistors

5111F1-5V - 5v red led, or get normal led and add 2.5K ohm resistor

1N4148 - need qty 3 signal relay

**Adafruit**

2.1mm panel mount p/n 610 http://www.adafruit.com/products/610

5v 2a power supply http://www.adafruit.com/products/276

**other**

db9 cable to go to Intv2

hot glue, heat shrink, solder, small zip tie (helps to hold in db9 cable), dremel and tons of time. and perhaps a custom sticker :)

Port in front is for SMS, Atari controller

Port in back is wired upside down to allow Intv2 controller to plug in

I left off power switch might add later

Edited by grips03
  • Like 2

testing:

SMS pad works fine, provide 8 directions and button 1,2 - button 3 is pressing button 1+2 at same time

3 button Genesis pad - provides direction only, no buttons work

TAC-2 - atari 2600 type controller - provides 8 directions and 1 button

Colecovision controller - provides 8 directions and 1 button

atari 7800 controller - 8 directions, but button 2 is always on

requires power to adapter for Intv 2 keypad to work properly

Edited by grips03

Looks good, but after reading the topic title, I was hoping for a console adapter.

I'm not that good :)

Next thing coming from me is another controller / adapter for Intv2 using Altera CPLD. Adapter will have built in keypad and take NeoGeo controller for input.

Well, I prefer to use 16 directions and 15 Buttons :) May I never understand why so many people are cursing the Intellivision Controller, I like it.

Same here. I actually prefer the 16 directions and some games do take advantage of them. To me, the worst part of the hand-controller is the action buttons, which are very uncomfortable to press. The disc is rather good, in my opinion, if used effectively by the game.

Nonetheless, cool hack.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Well, I prefer to use 16 directions and 15 Buttons :) May I never understand why so many people are cursing the Intellivision Controller, I like it.

As someone already said, the only disadvant of Intv contrllr is the fire button, if it was a little bit more roundy it would be perfect. But for game controller, never felt something so good as the disc, 16 directions if I can remember well. Unbeatable even to today standards...

you could also wire up button 3 in the d-sub as well to use easily modified genesis controllers or even anything like your neo geo controllers. you would want to put it on pin 5. and genesis controller can easily be modified. also put 5v on pin 7 if you havent. that way people can use rapid fire. also you could easily modify a 7800 controller as well even though that controller is junk.

Edited by pimpmaul69

also forgot: looks pretty cool to me. i love making mods. and modifying controllers is something i have done tons of. this is a really extensive mod for controllers. if people only truly understand the work it took to make this happen. this is probably the hardest system to make a controller for with the second being the vectrex if you are modifying to use a small controller for it. for anyone curious why i think the vectrex is a pain when you have to use 30 gauge wire in a small enclosure. because if you dont make the direction wires the exact same length your directions wander like if you have a broken analog stick on the original controller or any other controller with an analog stick. try cramming all that and 8 resistors into an nes max controller. (hope you enjoy yours c-mart) so excellent job on this mod. i love it.

Edited by pimpmaul69

Same here. I actually prefer the 16 directions and some games do take advantage of them. To me, the worst part of the hand-controller is the action buttons, which are very uncomfortable to press. The disc is rather good, in my opinion, if used effectively by the game.

Nonetheless, cool hack.

-dZ.

if a circuit was built to use an analog stick instead of a d-pad then you would get 16 directions that way. i love playing inty on my wii with an analog stick. i also think if someone made a device the had the 3 side buttons on it and it attached to the controller on the right side of the disc and had an adapter cable that you plugged into the system and the controller plugged into the adapter it would work while keeping the disc. i personally usually dont play anything that uses 16 directions so i think his adapter is a great idea. also if you modified an "arcade stick controller" to work on this you could install a 4/8 way switchable arcade stick in it and whoop some ass in games like d2k.

I've thought about using analog stick, and it can be done in arduino using atan2 function but I haven't graduated past using simple add and subtract on arduino yet so someone else would have to figure it out.

Copied from somewhere that was looking to convert X and Y analog to 16 directions:

uint8_t getDirectionFromAnalog(uint8_t x, uint8_t y);
{
int8_t _x = x - 128;
int8_t _y = y - 128;
int8_t direction = (int8_t)(atan2(_y, _x) / M_PI * ;

if(direction <= 0)
 direction += 16;

if(_x*_x + _y*_y > 64*64)
 return (uint8_t)direction;
else
 return 0;  // joystick too close to centre
}

It'd probably need to be cleaned up and fixed up. If the code could be fixed to work, I could add that to my Jaguar adapter and hack my Jaguar controller with analog stick in place of D pad. Jaguar controller cable is not using 3 pins so there's room to add X and Y analog lines.

Not if only I could find a disc style controller like NES Max or Intellivision rather than pole or mushroom style stick that I seems to only find.

Edited by Uzumaki

I've thought about using analog stick, and it can be done in arduino using atan2 function but I haven't graduated past using simple add and subtract on arduino yet so someone else would have to figure it out.

Copied from somewhere that was looking to convert X and Y analog to 16 directions:

uint8_t getDirectionFromAnalog(uint8_t x, uint8_t y);
{
int8_t _x = x - 128;
int8_t _y = y - 128;
int8_t direction = (int8_t)(atan2(_y, _x) / M_PI * ;

if(direction <= 0)
direction += 16;

if(_x*_x + _y*_y > 64*64)
return (uint8_t)direction;
else
return 0; // joystick too close to centre
}

It'd probably need to be cleaned up and fixed up. If the code could be fixed to work, I could add that to my Jaguar adapter and hack my Jaguar controller with analog stick in place of D pad. Jaguar controller cable is not using 3 pins so there's room to add X and Y analog lines.

Not if only I could find a disc style controller like NES Max or Intellivision rather than pole or mushroom style stick that I seems to only find.

off topic but on topic. an nes max could be modified to work on grips adapter mod. i actually have one already. i use it on my wii with a mod i did that allows me to use old school controllers on the wii Edited by pimpmaul69

Here is the adapter / controller I'm making for Intv2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20625046@N08/8931613395/

This is second rev of the PCB design, CPLD code is tested and solid. I'm trying to sort out the board layout and stuff like that. Mainly trying to see if there is a way to use Max V vs. Max 7000S. Then I can remove the pull up resistor arrays you see (3). Also CPLD costs go from $8-9 to $1-3 depending on exact chip used. I would need to add LDO for power, but that does not add much. I'm still sorting out single PCB for controller and for Serpac A20 case (adapter), hence the reason you see so many holes in the PCB - to fit multiple cases. The one pictured will work in A20 case, but I've yet to fit it inside the controller. I might need to 45 the left corners.

Certainly any controller could be used but since I like the NeoGeo I'm going that route (NGX really). Also I have 3d printed 4 way gate for it, then it makes it all the better. I've been playing the heck out of Carol, D2K and Burgertime and I'm very happy with the results.

Hopefully I can get a final design done and offer these for sale and perhaps someone will want one. Plan is to sell as close to costs as possible.

Costs will be higher than I would like, but its due to low volume and can't really be avoided. Example one place wanted close to $200 to cut holes for keypads in 10 cases. So a $5 case, now costs $25. I'm trying to avoid stuff like that, but it takes so much time.

you could also wire up button 3 in the d-sub as well to use easily modified genesis controllers or even anything like your neo geo controllers. you would want to put it on pin 5. and genesis controller can easily be modified. also put 5v on pin 7 if you havent. that way people can use rapid fire. also you could easily modify a 7800 controller as well even though that controller is junk.

I made a change to the circuit you see posted for a 3 button controller, i.e. a common ground re-wired Genesis / SNES pad. You could still use db9 port as you have left, right, up, down, s1,s2,s3 and gnd. So still have 1 pin free. If you want me to post the alternate 3 button circuit let me know.

I made a change to the circuit you see posted for a 3 button controller, i.e. a common ground re-wired Genesis / SNES pad. You could still use db9 port as you have left, right, up, down, s1,s2,s3 and gnd. So still have 1 pin free. If you want me to post the alternate 3 button circuit let me know.

that would be cool if u posted the pic. did you put button 3 on pin 5? if so then you could or anyone else could just wire a jumper wire from your 5v to pin 7

if button 3 is on 5 i can open up my genny controller i modded for my wii so people can just copy how it is rewired. it is pretty simple to do. only a couple wires. if you put button 3 on pin 7 i could swap wires real quick and post a pic for people.

Edited by pimpmaul69