IGNORED

Elansar Jaguar

Orion_

Would you buy Elansar for Jaguar  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Elansar for Jaguar

• Yes, Cartridge only + Manual [40~45 euros or ~55 US$]
    • No, It's too expensive
    • Yes, Only if it come with a complete cardboard box! (no matter what is the price)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The Jaguar version have smaller image (downscaled to classic Jaguar game 320x240)

The Android/PC/Falcon versions are 640x480 and with an intro video. (I can't do a video on jaguar cartridge, it's too small)

So, I went to your site, to check into the the Falcon version. Does the Falcon version include both the 256 color and 32 bit color versions? Right now I have a standard Falcon, but it would be nice to have a 32bit color version if I ever upgrade to a CT60 or Firebee.

So, with the Jaguar version, it is in 32-bit true color at 320x240? And the standard Falcon version is 256 color at 640x480? So between the two, which actually looks better? The higher color depth at lower res, or the higher res at lower color-depth?

I think I may have to get both versions...

Edited by Gunstar

So, I went to your site, to check into the the Falcon version. Does the Falcon version include both the 256 color and 32 bit color versions?

Yes, the 2 versions are included. I will maybe make another run of CD for the falcon version, but for the moment it's download version only.

So, with the Jaguar version, it is in 32-bit true color at 320x240? And the standard Falcon version is 256 color at 640x480? So between the two, which actually looks better? The higher color depth at lower res, or the higher res at lower color-depth?

I think I may have to get both versions...

The jaguar is not 32bits, it can do 24bits but due to a hardware bug you can't do transparency in 24bits mode, also I would have been limited by the RAM because 24bits graphics takes more space.

That's why the rendering is in 16bits, also, due to cartridge space limitation, all the images are compressed using BPEG (it's like JPEG) There are more than 120 images + 1:30 minutes of sound inside a 4meg cart !

So, I guess, the falcon version looks way better, as I used a highly optimised 256 colors reduction algorithm and it give very good result (it looks almost like true color) also the 640x480 without compression is more detailed (but takes up to 50mbytes)

Yes, the 2 versions are included. I will maybe make another run of CD for the falcon version, but for the moment it's download version only.

The jaguar is not 32bits, it can do 24bits but due to a hardware bug you can't do transparency in 24bits mode, also I would have been limited by the RAM because 24bits graphics takes more space.

That's why the rendering is in 16bits, also, due to cartridge space limitation, all the images are compressed using BPEG (it's like JPEG) There are more than 120 images + 1:30 minutes of sound inside a 4meg cart !

So, I guess, the falcon version looks way better, as I used a highly optimised 256 colors reduction algorithm and it give very good result (it looks almost like true color) also the 640x480 without compression is more detailed (but takes up to 50mbytes)

Did all the original images and sounds make it into the Jaguar version? Was downsizing to 16bit color and low resolution and compression enough to keep all original content besides the intro video?

On a side-note, regarding Jagtopus cartridges, to anyone who knows or the Jagtopus developers; are Jagtopus cartridges limited to 4MB and if so, why? If so, is it that much harder, or costly to have 6MB Jagtopus carts?

Edited by Gunstar

Did all the original images and sounds make it into the Jaguar version? Was downsizing to 16bit color and low resolution and compression enough to keep all original content besides the intro video?

Yes, everything was kept beside the intro video (replaced by a 6 images slideshow)

On a side-note, regarding Jagtopus cartridges, to anyone who knows or the Jagtopus developers; are Jagtopus cartridges limited to 4MB and if so, why? If so, is it that much harder, or costly to have 6MB Jagtopus carts?

The design is for 4MBytes, I think the 6MB would have been more costly with the need to add components. (but I don't know much about that)

Also there are 2kbytes eeprom. (unfortunately I only use 32 bytes for elansar, so 128 bytes eeproms would have been ok)

Just saw this thread and thought I should comment. The boxes RGCD uses for our C64 games are Universal Game Cases. Google them for details. A jag cart does fit inside (and the case closes properly and holds, but there is a 1mm bulge in the middle). However, the 'cart holding' brackets inside are NOT designed with the jaguar cartridges in mind. So when open, they move around loose, but when closed they are held fast in place.

155099_357078651044363_546903283_n.jpg

The ideal solution would of course be to add foam padding, like the frame I had made for the C64 cartridges (see photo), but the jaguar cartridges are an awkward size and I cannot see any way to easily add a frame inside the case. Perhaps a couple of foam spacers would suffice.

So on the plus side:

* the boxes are cheap to buy (in bulk) and readily available, meaning very little additional cost to the buyer.

* they hold the carts still when closed

* there is room for a small manual, stickers, etc. inside the case.

* a 'universal' case design that is designed to look good on the shelf with other formats.

On the down side:

* the carts move freely around the case when open (could be rectified using a spacer).

* there is a 1mm bulge in the case due to the 'arc' on top of the cart.

So, in my opinion, the Universal Game Cases are a good, cheap option that add practically nothing to the retail price of a game, and could be easily improved with the addition of a couple of adhesive-backed foam holding strips. Next time I order a load of frames for the C64 carts, I have a cunning plan of how to use the previously useless frame centre pieces... ;)

• Like 3

The ideal solution would of course be to add foam padding, like the frame I had made for the C64 cartridges (see photo), but the jaguar cartridges are an awkward size and I cannot see any way to easily add a frame inside the case. Perhaps a couple of foam spacers would suffice.

I don't think they're needed as when the case is closed, the cart is held in place by the front and back of the box.

* the carts move freely around the case when open (could be rectified using a spacer).* there is a 1mm bulge in the case due to the 'arc' on top of the cart.

If the case is open then you're either removing or replacing the cart, why does it need to sit still?

As for bulge - I don't think there is a 1mm bluge. Face down, the cart seemed to fit into the shape of the box you sent to me.

• Like 1

If the case is open then you're either removing or replacing the cart, why does it need to sit still?

So the case doesn't have to be flat on a surface when opened to avoid the cartridge sliding or falling out and getting scuffed or other; some of us are attempting to keep the cartridges in mint condition, hence the want of a box or case in the first place.

I like to be able to pull a game case from the shelf, open it while standing at the shelf, and removing the cartridge, without worring about it dropping to the floor or getting scuffed from sliding down when the case is opened. So if the game comes loose in the case I will be adding my own foam for protection. If guests are browsing my games, I don't want them opening a case and having the cartridge fall out either. It's just plain shoddy packaging if the cartridge is loose, regardless if it's secure when closed.

Edited by Gunstar

Personally I like to pull a game from the shelf standing on my left foot tip-toes while balancing a blancmange on my head and holding a pink baboon-shaped dildo under my chin... and if the cart falls out I WON'T BE HAPPY! AND NEITHER WILL MY IMAGINARY FRIENDS!!111 IT'S UNACCEPTABLY SHODDY!!!11111eleventybillion

• Like 2

Personally I like to pull a game from the shelf standing on my left foot tip-toes while balancing a blancmange on my head and holding a pink baboon-shaped dildo under my chin... and if the cart falls out I WON'T BE HAPPY! AND NEITHER WILL MY IMAGINARY FRIENDS!!111 IT'S UNACCEPTABLY SHODDY!!!11111eleventybillion

So you agree.

Sarcasm aside, sh3-rg, release your games how you want too, I'll buy them regardless as long as they are available somewhere when I have the money. (I'm actually about to buy KM final from the AtariAge store as soon as monies transfer; I have the original I burned and printed my own DVD cover)

I'll buy the games for the games, I'm a game player first, and I'll buy them regardless of packaging. If I think the packaging is shoddy or if it is non-existant, I'll fix it myself the way I like it. But I would much rather have games with top quality packaging that comes standard.

If the developer is asking, I'm going to be picky. If the developer doesn't really care if the release has good packaging that FITS the cartridge properly, or any packaging at all, then they shouldn't start a poll and ask us. Just release it however they want. I will still appreciate the game itself, if it's any good. I'm about to purchase the Falcon version of Elansar for about 6 pounds, and it's just a download.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

I'm very much familiar with those universal game cases, as I used them to hold many of my own personal Jag carts that I acquired sans the original boxes. The way that Heavy Stylus described the fit of the Jag cart is pretty spot-on. However, I would have to highly disagree with any opinion of it being "shoddy packaging". The cart is held secure when the case is closed, and is a bit loose when open. However, unless you're completely careless with how you open the case, there's little chance of the cart spilling out. If you're that worried about keeping the game in mint condition, then I'm sure you would be a little more careful with how you handle it, regardless of the casing. The universal game case is a good choice for packaging the cart while keeping unnecessary expenses at a minimum.

• Like 1

I don't think they're needed as when the case is closed, the cart is held in place by the front and back of the box.

As for bulge - I don't think there is a 1mm bluge. Face down, the cart seemed to fit into the shape of the box you sent to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDZEoIvu1hA

Wait, where can I order TB1, 2 and 3? Love the attention to detail in the title drawing!

• Like 1

I like RGCD's boxes and I'm happy they work and will do a job for us and keep standard to their tidy library of releases. You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but when it comes to Jaguar carts in boxes... :o)

• Like 1

I'm very much familiar with those universal game cases, as I used them to hold many of my own personal Jag carts that I acquired sans the original boxes. The way that Heavy Stylus described the fit of the Jag cart is pretty spot-on. However, I would have to highly disagree with any opinion of it being "shoddy packaging". The cart is held secure when the case is closed, and is a bit loose when open. However, unless you're completely careless with how you open the case, there's little chance of the cart spilling out. If you're that worried about keeping the game in mint condition, then I'm sure you would be a little more careful with how you handle it, regardless of the casing. The universal game case is a good choice for packaging the cart while keeping unnecessary expenses at a minimum.

And the Jaguar cartridge fits, with case closed with a manual in it too? Or only sans-manual? I have a similar box for my AvP that I didn't get an original box with, and yeah, the cart fits without the manual but not with it. So then I have to keep the manual elsewhere? Or does the RGCD boxes fit cartridge AND a manual more than a page or two in thickness? I've heard about a slight bulge, but that's cart only, right? How does it fit with the Jaguar manual? My guess is it doesn't and therefore is shoddy packing for Jaguar cart games. Period.

If I'm wrong and a manual and cart can fit, and close, and stay closed, without a bulge in the middle, then the RGCD case are fine, if any of that is not the case, sorry, but it's "shoddy" for a Jag game.

If people want to ridicule me becuase I expect a cart and manual to fit nicely and close with all contents, in a case and not spill out, then all I can say is "stick it where the sun don't shine." I'd rather have the cart loose.

Edited by Gunstar

Ok peeps, enough of the arguments. I have a FINAL solution, and it does not involve foam. :)

Lookie here:

atari_jaguar3.jpg

Using a dremel (off to buy one tomorrow) by trimming off the highlighted bits of plastic, the result is as follows:

atari_jaguar4.jpg

Voila! A perfect fit.

As for the manuals, the 8-16 page booklets, stickers and cards we include with our C64 releases fit in a baggie that sits nicely on the flat part of the cartridge without adding ANY thickness to the cart. You can see the Get 'Em DX one in the photo I posted in a previous post above. The widest part of the cartridge is the 'arc', so as long as that isn't exceeded, no problemo.

KTHXBYE :)

• Like 6