IGNORED

Collector or Hoarder?

Rev

At what point is the line crossed? :grin:

I think of myself as a Collector (and player of course)

But sometimes I look at my collection and ask myself WHY?!! Then I tell myself to shut up and I roll around in my pile of hundreds of Poker carts while eating bacon.

Anyone else? :-o

• Like 2

I prefer the term "Super Collector" to "hoarder". One has such negative connotations, the other describes many of us perfectly. :) lol! (Seeing as I have 100 Intellivisions I'm fairly certain I don't possess the moral high ground in this discussion).

That said, I genuinely would like to get rid of a bunch of extras like Jason said but it takes a lot of free time to do so and I don't have a lot of that. :)

I'm a hoarder trying to pare it down to a collection. Purging the dupes would be a good start. Organizing the piles couldn't hurt either.

Im similar, Im going to attempt to sell off the 2 to 3 hundred spare intv games I have and transform and diversify my collection a little. by selling off some dupes, I will attempt to get some other systems.....but is this really helping? LOL Just more systems to hoar.....collect for.

I just got a 7800 from Benny and maybe 15 boxed games....Just won a Boxed Nintendo 64 on Ebay....and am Looking into getting a new PSP.

I have recently expanded my collecting to loose titles for the ColecoVision and the Atari 2600... if I don't already own them and if they're cheap. I have around a hundred loose NES games and ~30 boxed. My more recent NES sub collections are the original Black Label games (collecting them loose only) & the Wisdom Tree games (also loose). Once I can afford it, I would love to get a boxed SNES. Believe it or not, I've never played Super Nintendo. I've been looking for loose copies of Castlevania IV and Super Metroid. I also recently picked up The Jetsons Planet Pirates with manual. The Jetsons is another sub collection I've been working on. I would love to get Cogswell's Caper (NES) and the Gameboy one. An Amiga one just sold recently but I missed it. What else.... I've also been picking up cheap ps2 games, since they're so affordable these days. If Wii games get much cheaper I'll probably start buying those as well. I've also been working on Anthology and Collection games for PS1 and PS2. It never ends....

so is this the first meeting of IA?

I have between 10-15k item in my collection,so I think I may be past super collector

WTF! LOL....man, you have to show me a pic of some of this stuff.......the largest my collection ever was about 4 to 5 thousand games......Im down to maybe 1500?

When it looks like this: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0rbOs46Sc64 (if link dosen't work it's Hoarders: OBi's Video Game Collecting)and is just thrown everywhere(in the bathroom,floor,kitchen,baby room,garage,basement etc.) and stepping on them without given a F*** than I'd say your a hoarder but If it's on shelves neatly organized in place and not just anywhere(you know your boundaries) than it's not.If your not willing to throw/sell a game in your collection that's broken/no need for than you may also be a hoarder.My logic is up for a debate and discussion.

Edited by xDragonWarrior
  • Like 1

I can never tell if that video is real or fake. If I had that many games I would at least stack them in piles that build up toward the ceiling. He just walked all over them. WTF?

I believe it's fake(just a dramatization of what a Videogame hoarder would look like),I looked up an episode list and this wasent there but looks legit.Would be funny If after the video,he broke his copy of Earthbound,Action 52 or other rare games by stepping on them!

Edited by xDragonWarrior

WTF! LOL....man, you have to show me a pic of some of this stuff.......the largest my collection ever was about 4 to 5 thousand games......Im down to maybe 1500?

We just moved to a new house, so I'm trying to get things organized. I also need to install a wall, currently this room only has three walls I need a forth. Also having a 10x12 shed installed in the side yard later this week for my VG stuff that's currently take up a bay in the garage.

pics, enjoy:

vg1.jpgvg2.jpgvg3.jpgvg4.jpgvg5.jpg

• Like 3

When it looks like this: http://m.youtube.com...h?v=0rbOs46Sc64 (if link dosen't work it's Hoarders: OBi's Video Game Collecting)and is just thrown everywhere(in the bathroom,floor,kitchen,baby room,garage,basement etc.) and stepping on them without given a F*** than I'd say your a hoarder ....

Watched video for a moment... (speaks to guy in the video) DUDE IT'S CALLED SHELVING!!!!

• Like 1

We just moved to a new house, so I'm trying to get things organized. I also need to install a wall, currently this room only has three walls I need a forth. Also having a 10x12 shed installed in the side yard later this week for my VG stuff that's currently take up a bay in the garage.

pics, enjoy:

I was going to ask if you were married with all that in tow, but you did say "we".

In my case what I can keep organized in a room, the garage, and attic is workable. :)

• Like 1

pics, enjoy:

When does the store open??

• Like 1

Not much of hoarder. At one time I had well over a thousand carts but it's been whittled down a lot. I prefer to play for fun than to collect and when I got Harmony, Mega Everdrive, and PowerPak, I got rid of most of my 2600, Genesis, and NES lots. I kept a few but not much. Right now I'm going through my SNES lot to see what stays and what goes.

I've also cut down on not too old games (Gamecubes and XBox) by removing those that I very rarely play or didn't like and left myself with about 20 GC games left and just a few XBox games. (I might get rid of XBox completely though)

For me the line is pretty simple: A collector can have thousands of games, but he has only one copy of every game. Of course its okay to have every variation of the single game, but when you start to collect exactly the same variation of a game its hoarding. I am a collector right now, but I think I'll change to a hoarder in some years.

The reason is simple: I am very bad in saving money and if I need a lot of money for an unexpected bill or something else I need to sell stuff. If I have dubletes its easy to sell them, but I probably never would sell games if I dont have a copy to spare.

Edited by Ignorama

My opinion, it's okay to collect the games you want and even okay to collect variants but i probably would not hold onto extra exact copies of a game for no reason. I'd have to A.) Sell it B.) Trade it for what i want or C.) Give it to my friends.

See over in the Youtube community i have a list of friends a mile long and some are becoming Intellivision collectors and very generous and cool people. So i'm always trying my best to hook them up since they are always hooking me up.

• Like 1

I do agree with hoarding exact copies if you plan on using those games to help out others trying to collect. And we all know there are some here who do that very thing. So to me that is not exactly hoarding but a small time video game store. So as long as keep selling, trading, and giving those games away you are not a true hoarder. a true hoarder gets rid of NOTHING.

The Cmart and Rev stores are always open. :)

Just going by what I had entered into RF Generation, I had 2227 unique items listed.

I easily have that same amount again not entered into RF Gen.

If I was then to include all the multiple copies or variants of each item...it would be in the tens of thousands....

Am I a hoarder? Probably, though that wasn't the intent.

I have given away games to some members here, traded with others but I always have a lot more coming in than going out.

I would like to change that, but like Cmart lack the time to really get everything setup and ready to go out.

I collect for everything from Pong to WiiU so that doesn't help!