IGNORED

Trading advice

snorlaxnut

There's good reason to be apprehensive about trading over the internet. For the most part my experiences have mostly been positive though.

Request if the person has an ebay account and check their feedback if they do. (Contact the ebay account to confirm if it is them, also, if you're feeling particularly paranoid!)

Wherever you contacted the individual, poke around for the feedback thread if a trading forum exists or ask around to see if the person has traded before.

There's always the option of asking the other person to send first, though I rarely try to exercise it since it can be perceived as rude or an attempt at ripping them off.

Pack games well, bubblewrap, etc, boxes for multiple items or padded envelope and ask the other party what shipping rate both should agree on. My rule of thumb is to pack something how I'd like to receive it, the golden rule. :D I generally use USPS first class these days as it tends to reach its destination just as fast as priority rate and is cheaper. Media mail rate's too slow imo. The post office, also, typically has a lot of shipping supplies that can be had for free. :P

Delivery confirmation on packages is cheap considering it brings peace of mind, I only use it with someone I've never traded with before though. You can check the delivery of said package online through USPS' website even.

Always try to describe your stuff accurately. Trading is a great way to accumulate stuff.

Yeah, especially for people who will collect ANYTHING, even five versions of the same game, although they're "different" due to label variations, so be sure that, if you know games were made with different variations, to list them (i. e. "lower case label", "picture label", "Sears", etc.).

:?: Have any of you asked the one you're trading with to agree on the mail shipping rate (Media Mail, First Class,Priotity Mail, etc.) first, and pay each other's shipping & handling fee before you ship the games, or has both of your shipping & handling fees been the same price that it wasn't necessary to pay each other's S&H, and just go and send the games to each other?

:?: Have any of you asked the one you're trading with to agree on the mail shipping rate (Media Mail, First Class,Priotity Mail, etc.) first, and pay each other's shipping & handling fee before you ship the games, or has both of your shipping & handling fees been the same price that it wasn't necessary to pay each other's S&H, and just go and send the games to each other?

That's a pretty good question. Usually it depends. Most of the time when you are trading games you just go ahead and send them, it's polite to say whether you are shipping 1st class or media mail but it doesn't always get stated. One way to do it is to say that you have their games ready and you are going to ship it by media mail the next day. By you making the first statement you then open the topic up for discussion.

The situation might be unfair in some cases so one party might have to do make up for it. Like I traded a 2600jr and some games with IceCold for a complete c64 and disk drive. My shipping was around $9 but his was $17 to send me the computer, I could've have offered more in trade but instead I sent him 8 bucks to make up the difference. It all depends on what you're getting :)