IGNORED

Two free games per month with XBLA

Master Phruby

Too bad, you guys are missing out on a GREAT free game this month and one I happily paid $30 for over a year ago -- Civilization: Revolution, the console version of the popular PC game.

Eh. Haven't cared about Civilization since the 90's. I'd probably not bother playing it even if I was still Gold due to having so much other stuff I'd rather play. If I had netflix or other such things, I'd probably run them through my PS3 instead of paying microsoft to let me do it on the 360. So yeah, no regrets.

Too bad, you guys are missing out on a GREAT free game this month and one I happily paid $30 for over a year ago -- Civilization: Revolution, the console version of the popular PC game.

Huh? I am not showing that as free today.. am I missing something?

Yep it's a new game now. Dungeon Defenders I believe. I'm happy because it's a game I was going to get but never did!

Awww I'm sad because I missed Civ.. a game I always wanted to get into. Oh well it's cheap on Steam but I hate playing on the PC even though that's probably the best place to play this game. :P

I did download Dungeon Defenders though..

The game isn't like Diablo IMO other than some levels of Diablo take place in dungeons and this game takes place in dungeons, and there are equipment drops.

It's more of a tower defense game, with emphasis on building, maintaining and upgrading towers and defenses.

I like tower defense games, and dungeon crawling games, so I thought it was a lot of fun.

I let my gold membership lapse anyway for now since the vast majority of the games made free aren't things I'd normally want to play. ^^

See, it's just for the reason that I really appreciate the Games for Gold program. I agree that many of the games released are ones that I wouldn't normally purchase. But I've found many of them great games that I'm really happy I got to play (and never would have if they hadn't been given to me). Sometimes it's even well, WELL after its give away period by the time I actually get around to trying the game out. Case in point: I'm currently playing Defense Grid: The Awakening. I think that was one of the first games given away as part of the program. I simply made sure I downloaded it, and then never touched it. Last week I heard about how Hidden Path was looking to release a full sequel and kind of remembered that game sitting on my hard drive. Figured I'd give it a quick shot and, low and behold, I love it. I just got over the half way point through the main missions last night.

I still have Kingdom for Keflings and now Toy Soldiers sitting on my hard drive in the same boat. I'll get to loading them up eventually. Maybe I'll like them, maybe not. But it's nice to have them, free, if one is a hit.

Less wear on the disc drive & faster loading times from HDD.

To be fair, that's dependent on the game, the games that take advantage of it load super fast, but I have quiet a few games that load no faster from the HDD than the disc. I do it for the DVD drive wear myself, it only loads to make sure you have the disc, or in the case of some games, it loads textures or something from the disc (like Battlefield 4)

It's sometimes true that the games offered aren't ones I'd normally buy, but then there's Sleeping Dogs. I wanted that since it was called True Crime, and getting it for free was awesome; I couldn't have asked for more. (I could do without all these tower defense games, though.)

The monthly free games on Xbox Live & the PS Store have really cut down on my video game spending. Though I still have several of these games to try out after downloading them for free, I really appreciate getting games like Xcom, Dungeon Defenders, Hitman, Metro Last Light and others for only a small yearly fee.

Because of XBL & PS Store, I have had no urge to run to the store and buy something new.in several months.

• Like 3

Because of XBL & PS Store, I have had no urge to run to the store and buy something new.in several months.

I can just see developers and publishers banging on the walls a year or so down the road attributing PSN and Live as a worse threat than used games which they consider worse than piracy to their business. :D

Edited by Mord

I agree!!

And not just the FREE games, the crazy sales (yes amazingly in spite of some folks prediction that M$ and $ony would have all of us by the balls charging top dollar for anything purchased online)

I purchased the DLC version of BioShock Infinite on 360 for less than $10!

Between, Dungeon Defenders and BioShock Infinite, not to mention the latest free games. I'm totally set for weeks and week!

Great time to be a gamer!

And not just the FREE games, the crazy sales (yes amazingly in spite of some folks prediction that M$ and $ony would have all of us by the balls charging top dollar for anything purchased online)

Keep in mind that people's predictions are for after physical copies become extinct. Right now that isn't the case so of course sales are going to continue.

Keep in mind that people's predictions are for after physical copies become extinct. Right now that isn't the case so of course sales are going to continue.

Well I'm not sure you can speak for everyone since when they made those predictions it was all brand new and they just kind of threw them out there off the cuff and I have no doubt some doubted there would EVER be sales (For whatever goofy reason).....But I'll for sure keep that in mind, and post something similar when I'm in my 60's or 70's (my prediction ;) )...thanks.

That reminds me, I need to go back to those old HD DVD/Blu Ray threads and point out that (In spite of some people predictions) watching things via streaming became more popular than via DVD, HD DVD and Blu Ray a couple years ago. :P

• Like 1

You're arguing apples and oranges with that example. Whether or not sales dry up when the companies see no reason to continue giving them is up to the companies. A person's preference in getting their movies/TV is mostly up to the customer. It took forever for the price of blu-ray movies to come down honestly, and even now it's still the most expensive option for new releases. Price really does pick the current winners these days so let's just hope the digital sales stay for good, if digital knows what's good for it. (I still don't believe they will though. I've seen way too many companies shoot themselves in the foot for an extra dollar this decade.)

You're arguing apples and oranges with that example.

Not really. A prediction is a prediction. Doesn't matter what they are referring to, often times they're wrong. I could list 1,000 examples not having anything to do with each other. The HDDVD/Blu Ray angle had nothing to do with anything and was an attempt at humor, not a comparison to DLC.

Also I'm not arguing anything, just discussing something no one currently has a clue about and won't for probably a decade or more so that in the future I can say "I told you so".

It's super fun...no?

• 3 weeks later...