IGNORED

EA wants to be less hated

Distancing? Really?

Am I reading a different article than everyone else here or something?

"Absolutely incorrect. As the guy who is the chief operating officer of Electronic Arts I can tell you that EA did not aggressively lobby for the platform holders to put some gating function in there to allow or disallow used games."

"We have not internally even begun to sit down and answer those questions."

Those statements sure sound to me like an attempt to deflect responsibility for the Xbone's used game restrictions and DRM away from his company. Moreover, with his answers throughout that interview, he seems to me to be making a concerted effort to dissociate EA from those controversies entirely.

Also, please don't issue public statements or comments unless you can provide specifics. I'm so tired of reading vague jibber-jabber from you guys because you know we'll eat you alive if you say what you actually plan to do.

And, guys, please stop saying "ecosystem". The word that correctly describes what you guys are referring to is "fiefdom".

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

Am I reading a different article than everyone else here or something?

Maybe this qualifies as distancing or maybe it's just distortion of the facts.

The fact is no matter what public statement they give they could do completely the opposite and much of what they say is a matter of semantics.

The very first quite was about wait and see. That isn't saying they won't use the feature. That is where I think they left distancing far behind.

They may very well not have aggressively lobbied for it... but they could have told Microsoft they would do exclusives in exchange for it. Is that aggressive lobbying? I guess that would be a personal opinion.

They may not of sat down internally and talked about pricing to use used games. They may have said we'll hold off on that discussion until we see what other companies do and to see how the public reacts.

Also, please don't issue public statements or comments unless you can provide specifics. I'm so tired of reading vague jibber-jabber from you guys because you know we'll eat you alive if you say what you actually plan to do.

Microsoft was unreal on this point. Almost two months of "we haven't settled anything" and "wait until you get the whole story" and "online bonehead does not speak for Microsoft"... and when the moment of truth came, things were exactly, EXACTLY as bad as we'd been led to believe. Everything Microsoft told us wouldn't be so bad once we heard the details... turned out to be WORSE! It's clear that MS knew how poorly this would be received, and their only plan was to play the Iraq Minister of Information role.

If they have a plan, and I do mean IF, apparently MS is wanting to get their bad publicity out of the way now. Maybe they're thinking some hot game promos in the next few months will make people forget about the E3/DRM fiasco, and by Christmas we'll be so eager for Halo 17 that customers will stop caring about the other crap.

History suggests that's not an unreasonable expectation.

• Like 2

Maybe this qualifies as distancing or maybe it's just distortion of the facts.

Those aren't mutually exclusive things, in fact, they usually go hand in hand.

Even if EA is distorting the facts (and I assume they are), they're clearly attempting to influence the narrative surrounding the Xbone's anti-consumer features in a way that depicts them as an outside actor looking in. That's the only point I was making. I'm not commenting on the veracity of EA's statements. I don't think we're in any real disagreement here.

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

If EA wants to be less hated, they should drop their crappy game publishing practices or else suffer the backlash. And if they don't care what anybody says, then they deserve to go out of business and have their development studios like BioWare go elsewhere for support.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

Any company that has anti-gamer policies is going to suffer. There are a lot of game choices out there and publishers shouldn't act like they are the only source of games.

Restricting game lending or trading is going to upset a huge number of gamers. I think some gamers buy used games exclusively. I usually wait until they show up in the discount game section but some games never make it there and the only place you can find them is at a used game place.

Turning off servers that support multi-player games is never a way to make friends in the gamer community.

And most of all, talking about gamers like they are ripping you off when you charge $50+ for a new game is not going to win you any friends!

FWIW, I think the 24 hour check in of the XBOX ONE is going to hurt every company that supports the console but the hate will be directed at Microsoft as it should be.

If EA wants to be less hated, they should drop their crappy game publishing practices or else suffer the backlash. And if they don't care what anybody says, then they deserve to go out of business and have their development studios like BioWare go elsewhere for support.

I thought Bioware was owned by EA, so wouldn't EA going under take Bioware with them?

I thought Bioware was owned by EA, so wouldn't EA going under take Bioware with them?

Possible. Also possible the studio would be sold en masse to help pay bills. At the very least the assets/IP would be sold off. Of course that could mean a studio that doesn't have any of the people that made Bioware great is making soulless Dragon Age sequels as well but w/e (a lot of the people that I liked at Bioware are gone already anyway...)

The thing that really gets me about EA and why I get so enraged about them is that they actually do own several great development studios (that they've either purchased or built internally) but the publishing arm's anti-consumerism and taste for milking franchises frustrating beyond words. IE Here comes Dragon Age II, we didn't have time to make enough dungeons because the Overlords wanted it out so fast so here's the same five dungeons twenty times each.

• 2 weeks later...