IGNORED

EA wants to be less hated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22801311

Apparently they've been voted the "Worst Company in America" two years running.

I know what I hate most about EA - their annual sports titles, which are often little more than incremental upgrades. Sometimes, though, people have been asked to pay an extra £30 or £40 for a worse product. I think it was either FIFA 2005 or 2006 on the PS2 where is was ridiculously easy to score from crosses. Totally spoiled the game and made it worse than previous versions.

EA should be more flexible. Although they've been criticised for some DLC material, improving their sports games through DLC would be far better. Then, players could choose whether they want to upgrade parts of the game while still being able to play on the same servers. That way, no servers would need to be shut down every so often. You've have everyone playing essentially the same game, just with different DLC packs and enhancements. I'd prefer that, so long as it was reasonably priced, rather than having to throw my game disc into the bin every couple of years.

I will have to buy FIFA 14 this year. The servers for FIFA 11 have been shut down.

• Like 1

I dunno. EA's not as good as they were, but they still put out a metric 'shedload' of good games. Their driving games come most quickly to mind.

If they want everybody to like them again, maybe they should start releasing games that end in "construction set" again. Or a Wing Commander or Ultima game. Online Archon or MULE reboot for mobile? And for the love of cheese, drop the aggressive DRM online-only crap. I don't like to be punished because some games might get pirated, loaned, sold, etc.

If they stop being evil, I'm pretty sure all will be forgiven within a year or two.

Edited by Reaperman

I think most people hate EA because of their stance on DRM and piracy. I understand protecting their investments, but when it only harms legal buyers from having access and invading privacy, it's not a good option.

also, As a Publisher, they need to change their stance deadlines. Rushing a game and putting pressure on a developer to make the deadline only further makes bad/crippled games at day 1. First impressions count.

If they are #1 worst company, Activision MUST be #2!

...and make some games for the Wii U.

Maybe it's because...

They have to build a new graphics engine (different CPU, different graphics chip, etc...)

Building an new game engine requires a lot of man hours.

Man hours = lots of money invested

Not enough consoles sold = no immediate return on their investment.

Since sales haven't been spectacular, a lot of companies are being cautious.

The thing I hate worst about EA is:

They have destroyed countless series of games from business people who could care less except for trying to make a profit. From features that are not needed to cramming things full of DLC and of course DRM. Also, putting out games just to meet a deadline when everyone knows it could have done better and with less bugs.

Dragon Age and DeadSpace are two recent examples and I'll never forgive them for what they did to Ultima.

Maybe it's because...

They have to build a new graphics engine (different CPU, different graphics chip, etc...)

Building an new game engine requires a lot of man hours.

Man hours = lots of money invested

Not enough consoles sold = no immediate return on their investment.

That tends to be not so much of an issue these days, unless EA are using their own in-house engines. There are some very good third-party 3D engines that offer cross-platform development in the fraction of the time it would take EA to come up with one of their own.

As for me, I'm not too bothered about the DRM issue. I can understand why developers feel the need to do it and support their premise in doing so. My worry is that it could drive the very companies that developers are relying upon to make their goods available to the public out of business. We've already seen the UK's largest games retailer go into administration last year (it has been saved ... for now) and a large chunk of their revenue goes on pre-owned games. Me and my wife picked up Gears of War 3 and Mass Effect 3 preowned last week ready for father's day. Unless it's something I desperately want, I now only buy preowned.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

I will have to buy FIFA 14 this year. The servers for FIFA 11 have been shut down.

If you don't like their practices stop buying their games. The main problem with EA policy is that people buy their games, so why should they change them?

That tends to be not so much of an issue these days, unless EA are using their own in-house engines. There are some very good third-party 3D engines that offer cross-platform development in the fraction of the time it would take EA to come up with one of their own.

Search the net for "Sports Ignite" and "Frostbite 3". EA doesn't license their game engines.

If they want everybody to like them again, maybe they should start releasing games that end in "construction set" again. Or a Wing Commander or Ultima game. Online Archon or MULE reboot for mobile? And for the love of cheese, drop the aggressive DRM online-only crap. I don't like to be punished because some games might get pirated, loaned, sold, etc.

It's staggering to think of all the franchises that EA is just SITTING ON. There's a reason why Nintendo has a reputation for quality first-party games: They have kept their franchises alive and well by consistently making fun games that feel familiar yet fresh. It may not sound like a lot, but just think of how much happier gamers would be with a new Road Rash or Mutant League Football game.

I think we now need to compile a list of game franchises that EA is letting collect dust in their attic that need to have a comeback. What have we missed?

I think we now need to compile a list of game franchises that EA is letting collect dust in their attic that need to be sold off to someone who'll do them justice have a comeback. What have we missed?

There, I fixed it for you.

They're distancing themselves from the DRM and used game controversy.

http://www.polygon.c...-and-used-games

Is this generation freaking 'opposite day' or something?

I do notice the COO in that interview is sporting a goatee, so I'm not ruling some kind of portal to Bizarro World.

It seems to be the only logical explanation for what I've seen so far.

Edited by Reaperman

They're distancing themselves from it? They ENGINEERED it! Hell, one of EA's dark minions migrated to Microsoft to build a console with used game restrictions and user surveillance. Fuck these guys. I really love Mass Effect, but I'm eternally grateful that it's the ONLY game of theirs that interests me.

• Like 2

They want to be less hated and then the next article I read about them on Gamepolitics is some guy spewing spin about developing a consumer friendly used game policy.

Here's a freaking policy for you: if I buy the damn game on disc I get all the damn features. No online passes, no microtransactions, just the game.

This isn't hard.

Also, please don't issue public statements or comments unless you can provide specifics. I'm so tired of reading vague jibber-jabber from you guys because you know we'll eat you alive if you say what you actually plan to do.

• Like 2

Distancing? Really?

Peter Moore: "We're focused at this point in time in new games and our official position is, 'I'll get back to you'. Sony have announced what they are going to do which is, y'know, business as usual, and then Microsoft are looking at allowing a publisher to opt-in, should they choose to do so. But if we opt in, do [third-party publishers] charge a fee, and if so, how much? We have not internally even begun to sit down and answer those questions."

He claims they haven't talked about it and they didn't ask for it but that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't.

Last I checked, the only people they really need to tell the truth are stockholders and it could just mean they don't want to look like a bad guy in public.

Whether he's telling the truth or not I think most people aren't buying it. Too much bad EA mojo in the past to consider them trustworthy.