IGNORED

GameGavel Auctions: PINK PANTHER PROTO + More More More

Parrothead

So it appears this was from the same guy who posted here a while back about the sales samples he was selling from a friend. Oddly, the CV Pink Panther game was inside an Odyssey 2 game case.

http://www.videogamechangers.com/2013/06/12/the-adventures-of-the-pink-panther-for-colecovision-1st-ever-screen-shot-from-a-prototype-that-was-only-rumored-to-exist/

• Like 1

I guess a main question that needs to be addressed and maybe he will address it on the gamegavel listing.

It really needs to be known if this is a playable game that seems complete (aka you played it for a while and seems to have a purpose to either score or get to some end point)

or is this only a demo game that was not finished.

I would think that would affect the price.

• Like 3

I guess a main question that needs to be addressed and maybe he will address it on the gamegavel listing.

It really needs to be known if this is a playable game that seems complete (aka you played it for a while and seems to have a purpose to either score or get to some end point)

or is this only a demo game that was not finished.

I would think that would affect the price.

Yep, and showing the actual cart/pcb won't hurt too

• Like 1

Yep, and showing the actual cart/pcb won't hurt too

Yes, all will be clarified in the auction, but I do believe it's playable, but to completion(??), still trying to confirm that with the owner. And there will be plenty of photos and hopefully a video of the gameplay too.

Edited by Parrothead

Well the link provided a few posts above mine here lead to an article that was a very nice read and which also showed a couple more really nice screen shots. I have to admit that I am intrigued by this and I find it quite fascinating. I can't wait to get more pics and info on this amazing find!

Also would like to add that the detail in the story of "a colecovision board being found inside an odyssey case" is odd, but absolutely not unheard of (to me anyway!)

For many years ago I received a box containing a bunch of Atari 2600 bare boards, some of them protos, from a friend of mine who had a family member that worked at an Atari Service Center. And low and behold, mixed among them was a completely out of place board. The chips said "Atari", but the edge connector was larger then the 2600 standard. At the time, I was much younger and had no idea, but years later I came to find that it was a Colecovision proto. It was an Atarisoft game (which at least explained some of the oddity) but why it was in that box I will never understand. These things happen!

Parrothead, what's the gameplay like? Is it a complete game? Fun? Just a demo?

Still trying to figure this out. I spoke to the gentleman from the game store that Ren brought the game and they inserted it into a cobbled together Colecovision at the store. The guy indicated he never had any control over the Pink Panther and the game started with the title screen and then automatically went back and forth between the two stages used in the screen shots posted earlier in this thread. BUT he did say he wasn't sure his Cvision controllers were even working controllers and that there was some flooding in the store that might have also damaged the Colecovision a bit -- so I really don't know at this point. The seller is going to reverify this more carefully in another Colecovision soon so crossing fingers there is some actual gameplay that will happen. It is funny to go through the trouble of making this cart and not have the game playable at least in some form.

• Like 1

It is funny to go through the trouble of making this cart and not have the game playable at least in some form.

Not really. If these carts came from a sales person, then having a self running demo of the game makes sense. Hopefully it's a complete game though.

I just got off the phone with Randy Green, said programmer of this here PP Proto. Interesting conversation and he was totally taken back that I called him to talk about this. Very cool guy and I will have a full on interview with him for RetroGamingRoundup as well as a written piece to go along with the start of the auctions. He also worked for Apollo (82,82) as well, before going to Phillips Home Interactive which he worked from 83-89. I don't think he has been interviewed by anyone yet so might be some interesting new revelations. He recalls that this PP was playable in some form, but definitely not complete. More info to follow guys!

• Like 2

I just got off the phone with Randy Green, said programmer of this here PP Proto. Interesting conversation and he was totally taken back that I called him to talk about this. Very cool guy and I will have a full on interview with him for RetroGamingRoundup as well as a written piece to go along with the start of the auctions. He also worked for Apollo (82,82) as well, before going to Phillips Home Interactive which he worked from 83-89. I don't think he has been interviewed by anyone yet so might be some interesting new revelations. He recalls that this PP was playable in some form, but definitely not complete. More info to follow guys!

Looking forward to hear about it. Did he mention what games he may have worked out at Apollo?

Thank you Parrothead!

That Power Lords title screen is totally different from the incomplete game ROM that has been circulating on the Internet for years. I hope and wonder if this one's a more complete prototype game!

Also, I wanted to add that by the 1983 CES, NAP was calling the game Pursuit of The Pink Panther. From what I've gathered, this one has an earlier working title. That may mean it's an early beta or an unplayable demo. Either way, it's something, and truly awesome to hear that you've made contact with Randy Green!

• Like 2