IGNORED

Ouya Thread

phaxda

Reaperman, I'm assuming also that your house isn't congested by 2.4Ghz devices. My retail Ouya controller barely works at my fiance's apartment, and I still get moderate lag at my house. The PS3 controller works fine and lag free at my house, aside from issues where some games just don't work with it. At my fiance's, even the PS3 controller has hiccups sometimes and I need to go wired.

Reaperman, I'm assuming also that your house isn't congested by 2.4Ghz devices. My retail Ouya controller barely works at my fiance's apartment, and I still get moderate lag at my house.

My kickstarter controller used to drop all the time, but this new retail controller hasn't had a single problem. I've actually got quite a bit of 2.4g traffic in that room, but I don't think that's what was causing the drops--my old controller used to just power itself off while it was in use.

Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I'm having some issues with emulation. I've got most of them working. All the Genesis games, NES games and SNES games are flawless. But my problems seem to be stemming from N64 and Neo Geo. I can't get ANY Neo Geo game to run without freezing up the console at boot. I'm not sure if the file format is wrong or what (it's the Neo program on the Ouya), but nothing I have is working.

On top of that I'm having some N64 issues. Some games work great, like Wave Race and Mario 64, where I have little to no issues. Well, none that are particularly concerning at least.

However, others are flat out nightmares. Star Fox 64 for instance seems to be missing lighting, as the environments are EXTREMELY dark. There's some other graphical problems like missing sections of the ship during the intro, but the main issue is that it feels like each level is darker than the last one. Zoness was beaten honestly because I remembered the level so well. Otherwise I couldn't see a thing!

F-Zero X obviously has the vehicle texture issue, which others have. That doesn't bother me. But in story mode, when I reach Silence, my controls go all wacky. I can play other levels just fine, but the car almost starts just steering itself into a wall on Silence. No other title has control issues, so I dont think it's my controller.

Those are the big ones. I can live without eyes on Smash Bros characters, or numbers on cars in F-Zero X, but Star Fox's lighting and F-Zero's control issues are BIG issues for me.

Here's the weird thing, I know there's got to be a way around it. I've seen both F-Zero and Star Fox fun just perfectly on Youtube on a Ouya. And I've seen Neo Geo games run perfectly as well.

One video I saw, I saw the guy's settings and mimicked them for Star Fox, yet it didn't help a damned thing. He had a 10th anniversary plug in thing checked, which I originally didnt have. I initially thought "oh this will fix it"... no, it didnt do jack.

Is anyone having these issues with Neo and these two n64 titles? Is there any way around this? Also, the guy who's video showed his Star Fox settings had games like DK 64, Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo in his rom list. I can't get ANY of those to even boot up.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm doing well so far, and I've always thought of myself as a tech head, but this is starting to get a little annoying.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm doing well so far, and I've always thought of myself as a tech head, but this is starting to get a little annoying.

I cant remember but with N64 emulators its always had something to do with picking the right video renderer or ucode or something. I dont remember the correct terminology but I remember certain games worked with certain video codes.

If I had time I would google a bit for you but hopefully someone here can point it out more specifically on the Ouya. I haven't tried it yet obviously.

Thanks cimerians. I actually figured out how to use those last night. I haven't tested SF 64 yet, but I was able to get other games to work better. Fingers crossed.

I think I half figured out the Neo Geo issue though. My rom files have like a couple dozen parts of different .rom files. Does anyone know how to combine these into one working file?

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Neo Geo roms should remain zipped.

Yeah, and I've read that the Neo app for the Ouya needs them to be MAME versions. But this doesnt help. When you dload MAME neo geo titles, they're unzipped. Even if I zip them it wont work. It just tells me that file (that I've selected and found for it in the usb thumb drive) cant be found and to make sure it's in the rom directory.

Yeah, and I've read that the Neo app for the Ouya needs them to be MAME versions. But this doesnt help. When you dload MAME neo geo titles, they're unzipped. Even if I zip them it wont work. It just tells me that file (that I've selected and found for it in the usb thumb drive) cant be found and to make sure it's in the rom directory.

MAME roms are to remain zipped as well. If you're downloading then unzipped, your downloading app must be unzipping them without your knowledge.

• Like 1

well i made my first OUYA game purchase. for $4.99, Wind-Up Knight is an awesome little platformer. your knight is constantly running to the right. you must jump over and roll under things on your way to the level's end while slashing enemies (so far only roosters) and raising a shield to block falling boulders. there are 4 worlds with 13 levels each including an end-boss level. there's a ranking system implemented, the only way to get an S-rank is to collect all the coins in the level plus the hidden playing card. the coins collected net you better sword/shield/helmet/armor upgrades in the armory.

other than constantly moving, the other gimmick is that some levels are designed that you have to hit a wall in order to backtrack but if you don't pick up a wind-up dial quick enough, you stop moving and must retry the level. there are no in-level checkpoints (they are considerably short, though) and no health meter. 1 try, ya die.

download it and give it a spin.

[edited for typos]

Edited by bomberpunk

Still playing order and chaos online--seems like a great way to waste time/money. It's a bit of a ghost town, however, since we're not on the standard android server. It's a freemium game, and the first few very necessary paid upgrades aren't expensive at all. It seems like it's quite willing to take as much money as one is willing to throw at it. I wonder if there will ever be sales.

Maybe it's just me not being familiar with MMOs, but my individual character seems quite weak. I picked the warrior class, and even dual-wielding weapons, I seem to have trouble combating more than one enemy at once. I generally lure one at a time to me with the bow, and then hammer him with my 'swift strike' special move. ...I can't really defeat even one enemy without resorting to my main special move, and have to mash on it as soon as it cools down... Is this just how MMOs are? I'd hate to *not* be the warrior--what's this game like for the 'softer' classes?

Even venturing all the way back to lower-level enemies, I'm not exactly wading through piles of their corpses. At best I can take on two (*maybe* 3) without having to worry about expiring.

Edited by Reaperman

Warriors are brutes with massive strength but they are probably also slow and dumb. Maybe the "softer" classes have higher intelligence or can use spells to change an adversaries status, or perhaps they are faster at dodging attacks in combat, or maybe have advanced weapons with a longer attack radius (even if theirs do less damage it will be hard to get close enough to hurt them), rather than relying on pure muscle? Honestly, I have no idea as I've never played an MMORPG. But in general, RPGs that let you chose different character types give a slight boost to speed, magic, or other abilities if you pick a weaker character type. Just throwing stuff out there; an elf might be swift enough to dodge an ogre's attacks at close range, yet still be able to defeat the ogre from a safe distance using a bow and arrow. Take for instance Legolas from LOTR. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but still. Maybe it's kinda like picking Bowser in Smash brothers. You can deal a lot of damage, but you're also much slower and you're really big, making it hard to dodge attacks from foes.

Edited by stardust4ever

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody hasn't tried out Clark on OUYA, give it a shot--it's a brilliant puzzler.

$5.99 purchase (IIRC)

It kind of reminds me of both chips challenge and portal (at different times)

Is this an OUYA exclusive, I wonder? (I mean, the vid says it is, but there seems to be different definitions of "only on" these days)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPVseD0Va8

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Another one of my favorites for the Ouya.

http://heroesofumbra.com

About:

Heroes of Umbra is a 2D side-scrolling online RPG in-progress that plays similar to side-scrolling RPGs like MapleStory and Castlevania. Whether youre on an Android device, a desktop computer, or the OUYA console, online play is platform-agnostic. You can connect and play with your friends anywhere with Internet access, or

just solo single-player if you cant get (or dont want to be) online.

The game is completely free-to-play and DRM-free.

post-22122-0-10963000-1379025213_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Open Arena hit the store today. A lot of folks had been side-loading this one. Seems to connect to both android and pc servers. I'd imagine one would lose pretty quickly on the PC servers, however.

Not really, it just depends who's behind the controller. Its definitely a lot harder then playing against phone users or users with other controllers, but its not impossible to spank a keyboard and mouse user. I have done it quite a few times on Q3A on a dreamcast (me), against PC users trying to troll controller users (a PC user could join a DC server and did so quite a few times). And even in open misery (side loaded version of open arena modded to play on PC servers).