IGNORED

Ouya Thread

phaxda

I finally decided to buy an Ouya with the intent of my girlfriend and I sharing the system as our early Christmas present. With games being so cheap or free, plus all having free demos, plus emulators for so many systems including Neo Geo, I just had to get it. It is so small and will be much more simplistic to use than the original Xbox or even the Wii. (cutting out the whole Wiimote BS will make it easier to get started)

• Like 1

I found a broken app in the Ouya store yesterday. I forget the name (edit: Donkey Me) but it appears to be a Donkey Kong clone. Problem is the stock Ouya controller doesn't work, and on the title screen it says to use keyboard controls to play the game. I actually plugged in a USB keyboard behind the Ouya. No dice. WTF, the Ouya team must do like zero Quality Testing to not even check that a game is playable before they post it in the store. If anyone figures out a way to get this title working I'd love to give it a whack.

I found a broken app in the Ouya store yesterday. I forget the name (edit: Donkey Me) but it appears to be a Donkey Kong clone. Problem is the stock Ouya controller doesn't work, and on the title screen it says to use keyboard controls to play the game. I actually plugged in a USB keyboard behind the Ouya. No dice. WTF, the Ouya team must do like zero Quality Testing to not even check that a game is playable before they post it in the store. If anyone figures out a way to get this title working I'd love to give it a whack.

I've played that game. It works with the controller fine for me. I have been thinking about filming a gameplay video of donkey me for my youtube channel. It fits in well with the Colecovision homebrew stuff.

I was able to play it with my PS3 controller.

Edit: you might want to un-pair all Bluetooth devices except for your Ouya controllers.

From the OUYA Main Menu

1) Select - MANAGE>SYSTEM>ADVANCED

2) Select - "Bluetooth"

3) Select Bluetooth device

4) Use the touchpad or mouse to select slider icon on the right

5) Select - "Unpair"

This can also happen if a USB mouse or keyboard is connected.

Edited by NML32

• 2 weeks later...

After being on a number of platforms earlier this year, The Cave made its way to Ouya recently.

Based on the amount of fun my kids and I had playing the demo, I went ahead and picked it up for $4.99 tonight. Seems like a deal compared to the Wii U version, which is $15.

Good adventure puzzling fun so far!

so after the hype has settled, is the OUYA still exciting? or did the fad fade?

I'm not sure if I can say its "still exciting", but its not a fad for us. Ouya has become a staple gaming platform in our house, along with the xbox 360, Wii (soon Wii U), various tablets, and PC gaming. We still buy games for Ouya, and I'm glad I supported the kickstarter. (I would be even more glad if they sent me one of those shirts!)

We also use Ouya regularly for XBMC. I'll probably buy another one for XBMC if they manage to get HDMI CEC working properly.

so after the hype has settled, is the OUYA still exciting? or did the fad fade?

It had pretty darn good support for a few months, but release rate for its bigger games has really dwindled.

Nov 4 is when Neon Shadow came out, Sep 10 we got Clark--everything else between those and now has been pretty poor, IMO. Both are well polished indie titles. Big fish in a tiny pond kind of games, on any other platform they wouldn't be very noteworthy.

Support from major android publishers never really happened. A few trotted out a test game or two, a whole lot more said games were coming which never showed. Nobody has brought a significant chunk of their library to the console. Side loading helps the experience, but it sure doesn't keep a platform alive.

Generally I still support Ouya by buying everything I like, but noting the length of time between games above, that hasn't been much over the last 3 months or so.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm using my Ouya primarily as a Pinball machine. Pinball Arcade rocks, as I D/L all the 40+ tables! Next season 3 pass and Fish Tails!

I've also played a lot of indie games. My most recent doenload was Donkey Me. Figured out why it didn't work the other day: PS3 controller was stuck on Player 2 :P

• Like 1

Maybe because you posted it here?

Doubtful. Probably the fact that it was posted on the OUYA forums did it in...some of those guys have bought 5 of the things (just for themselves mind you).

As far as games worth playing go, The Cave from Double Fine came out on December 3rd. That's a pretty fun platformer/graphic adventure...kind of in the vein of a Maniac Mansion. It's as multiplatform as it gets, but it's well worth the $5 I paid for the OUYA version.

Killing Floor: Calamity is pretty good too. I'm not sure it's $15 good, but I might snatch it after a price drop.

I have played my Ouya pretty consistently on a month to month basis since it got out. I feel now it is a better product and less of a beta when it was released. I still dont like their navigation menu, but can say without a doubt a good android gaming device for not that much money. I have played a ton of the game Meltdown, and mostly have been playing the retro themed stuff on the system. Thumbs up from me.

Amazon.ca had Ouyas for $89.99 plus a free $25 Ouya store card, so I picked one up. After reading a bit, it seems like it's hard to get external storage working on the device. Anyone having any problems? I figured I could just plug a microSD card into the USB adapter and away I'd go. Is this actually able to be done at this point? Or do you still have to use Dropbox to get stuff downloaded to the device? 8GB won't be enough for all my stuff, dammit.