IGNORED

Ouya Thread

phaxda

I honestly don't regret purchasing it. It's definitely been seeing less media center action since I got the Fire TV (which is better for Plex), but there are a handful of titles on it that I keep coming back to (the Locomalito games are great). Ultimately, it's been pretty disappointing, but that doesn't mean there isn't a good bit to like (I could say the same about my Jag).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting a lot more use out of my OUYA over the past few weeks since I learned how to root it and install Google Play. It's nice that I can now use it for Netflix and HBO Go in addition to playing games on it. I wasn't able to get Crackle working on it, but that's not really a big deal.

I kinda feel like we're spoiled now with all of the gaming options that exist. I remember having a Sega Master System and waiting anxiously for games to be added to its small library. The OUYA has over 900 games and both the console and the games cost much less than they did when I was younger. I guess I'm enjoying the OUYA for what it is. It isn't a massive success, but I've certainly enjoyed it enough to justify the money I spent on it.

• 10 months later...

I haven't turned mine on in months. What's in the new update?

Or do you mean the recent news?

They were were buried in debt and got put on the selling block for potential buyers. Razer bought Ouya and the article above talks about the money that Ouya still owes some developers.

As of right now, the only thing I read is they will keep the service alive for the rest of the year (or one year) and after that I dont know. Download all your games now (I only own two) and wait and see what happens.

Ouya: Good idea but VERY poor implementation. Lots of mistakes/reasons it failed.

I read the article yesterday and am confused by something. Razor claims they are not responsible for Ouya's "Fund the games" debt. But I thought when you buyout a company, you acquire ALL of it's assets, and that including any debt it has accumulated. :ponder:

Edited by stardust4ever

I read the article yesterday and am confused by something. Razor claims they are not responsible for Ouya's "Fund the games" debt. But I thought when you buyout a company, you acquire ALL of it's assets, and that including any debt it has accumulated. :ponder:

Not necessarily, it depends how the buyout is structured, and bankruptcy exists to cancel unpaid debts. I didn't read the fine print (if it's even available beyond that little snippet that was posted online), and I'm certainly no lawyer, but I got the impression that Razer was OK to abandon the promises to the OUYA developers from a legal perspective. Of course that doesn't make it ethical, and it's certainly bad for public relations.

$600K isn't that much money in the scheme of things and it seems like Razer's going to do the right (ethical) thing.

As of right now, the only thing I read is they will keep the service alive for the rest of the year (or one year) and after that I dont know. Download all your games now (I only own two) and wait and see what happens.

Well, the people who purchased the all access $60 limited offer a year ago recently lost access to all those games they downloaded. I'm sure things could be sideloaded, but who wants to be bothered with that?

I never thought the all-access limited offer was a keep-it-forever deal, but more like a subscription. No?

I felt bummed when OnLive shut down, I had snagged a bunch of stuff on their holiday sales, but now it's gone forever, like tears in the rain. At least Playstation Plus gave me just about the exact same titles for free!

Well, the people who purchased the all access $60 limited offer a year ago recently lost access to all those games they downloaded. I'm sure things could be sideloaded, but who wants to be bothered with that?

I never did the "all access" thing. Aside from the enormous Pinball Arcade app where I purchased every season pass, I would download free trials of games and spend the $2.99 here and $4.99 there for the games I liked. I had read about the "All access" pass, but decided it was too steep and I would just be getting a bunch of games I didn't care for to begin with, so I wisely chose not to participate. But it sucks for those who did. Also I was somewhat disappointed when Ouya repealed the "all games must have playable demo" rule. A number of free trials I had downloaded previously got pulled and I lost access to some games I never spent a red cent for when the app was updated for paid access only. No loss there.

During my internet router experiment (I disconnected the DSL phone cable while leaving my router wifi on as a "dummy connection"), I was pleased to learn that many games still ran, the biggest of which was Pinball Arcade. Others like Giana Sisters and Sonic 4 reported errors but still allowed me to play them. I was able to play several pinball tables to completion although I could obviously not post scores online through my disconnected local network. It remains to be seen whether the Pinball Arcade running on Ouya will be able to post scores to Farsight servers beyond the shut down date. It seems likely if the game uses Farsight's servers and not Ouya's for online support.

Some people over on Ouyaforum.com have already purchased a Razor and they have reported the Razor is much more closed off compared to Ouya, making side loading of apps much more difficult but not impossible. I am waiting this out to see how integration of the Ouya store is handled into Razor. Ouya apps and purchace history should be available under the Cortex marketplace which can be launched along side Google TV on Razor Forge and other microconsoles. I believe by logging into Cortex post launch will unlock Ouya games. however, the older Ouya apps may need to be recompiled to support the standardized APIs and controllers of devices like Forge, Shield, and others. Many developers who have already given up or who just released a couple of freeware apps for fun they never made money off of, or who cannot be contacted or who lost the source to their games, may just become orphaned and abandoned after the transition.

Edited by stardust4ever

I think losing access is the wrong way to put it. Their subscriptions expired, it was known from the beginning that it was only a year long, it was renting games instead of buying them, and it was a very limited amount of people because it was a beta test to see if a subscription based service could work. No one lost anything. They gained everything they paid for which was a year long subscription.

• 1 month later...

Good news for Ouya fans on the Razor front. Here's the latest newsletter:

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=eebd1d4a919c97ed7b547b786&id=36cd43ed2a&e=f6d68aac15

Greetings again, Developers!

We wanted to update you with the latest on Razer’s Forge TV. As we mentioned last time, we’ve been grinding to bring the functionality of the OUYA storefront, and the familiarity of the OUYA Developer Portal, to the Razer family.
Forge is the spiritual successor to OUYA, and we want to leverage what we’ve done over the last three years to help devs publish to the TV and to expose cool, interesting content to gamers.
Razer will continue to support the servers and tech teams needed to keep all the OUYA consoles running. However, in order to reach new Razer fans and expand your audiences, you should prepare your game for Forge TV. For those of you who have already integrated the latest OUYA Everywhere ODK into your games, the process should be fairly easy. If you haven't, follow the link to do so now!
Our resident developer and one-man genius bar, Tim Graupmann, has been working on tips and tricks for other issues that may arise, and you can check them out here. When you (re)submit your games via the OUYA portal, just make sure to write in the build notes it is for Forge TV. We will be testing them here in the office and will let you know if there are any other issues that arise.
But wait, there’s more! Developers who get their builds Forge-ready by October 20th will be eligible for Feature placement on the new storefront when it launches!
As always, we look forward to working with you in order to make amazing games happen. Reach out to us anytime at officehours@ouya.tv.
Sincerely,
Your D.B.Fs

• 3 months later...

Interesting post. I guess its this thing that will eventually eat the Ouya out of existence:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-forge-tv

I got one of these after the new year holiday. It's definitely a step up from the OUYA in terms of power. The console itself is a little puck like the old Apple TV or Roku box, with a bright green light underneath. There is no fan or moving parts. The controller is better, though still feels like it came from MadCatz type wannabe territory, way worse than a Sony or Microsoft controller. The store is easy to navigate, and everything that I grabbed from my large Google Play library that was supposed to be compatible seemed to work. Unfortunately, stuff has to be marked as controller-compatible to show up in the store. KOTOR looks great on the big screen in high res with controller support. Please show your support for KOTOR II on mobile, too.

I was also able to push a few compatible apps (mainly Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto games) from the Google Play website to the device, with mixed results. Some didn't work, some didn't appear.

Moving ROMs around was a little bit of a puzzle. I was able to join the not-very-intuitive ESFileExplorer utility to my Dropbox, and pull some retro games from there. All of the Robert Broglia apps are compatible and work well here.

Even fewer of my OUYA purchases appeared in the Forge store after combining my accounts. I haven't paired my OUYA controllers yet, but they're supposedly compatible. I don't know if the OUYA controllers' little touchpads will be supported. The games will need to be recompiled and rereleased for this platform. That seems like a big ask of their developers.

The single worst thing about the Razer Android TV is the lack of external storage. There's a USB port, but it is only used for hooking up a controller at this time. It comes with 12GB of onboard storage, which is OK for me, since I'm mostly interested in turning this into a tiny, HDMI-ready Sega Genesis. It's a shame it's not better than the OUYA in every way, though. Perhaps this will come in a firmware update, as it did for OUYA. I do't have an Amazon FireTV but I suspect this is similar in terms of compatibility, power, and functionality.

The remote control app, which uses Bluetooth from a BYOD mobile device, is hopeless. It takes forever to connect, and drops off when the screen goes dark. You'll want to use a controller for media.

They're up against the new Apple TV. I know which one I will buy.

http://www.apple.com/tv/

The Android TV made me appreciate AppleTV more. This is what I got first, of course. My child dropped the lovely remote on a tile floor over the holidays, shattering the glass. Who makes a game controller out of glass? A silicon case for its replacement is on the way.

The AppleTV is mostly better than Android TV in my opinion, as there are many more video streaming apps. There are also more innovative games in the store, but it's the same problem -- very few of the controller-compatible titles have been recompiled for AppleTV. Loading emulators like Provenance is a hacky pain, so the Razer box is well worth the $100 I paid to avoid that particular hassle.

Current verdict, as of January 2016: if you got the upgrade coupon from Razer to get the box and controller for $100, it's worth it if you liked the OUYA and don't already have an Android TV. It's not amazing but it seems to work and will likely improve over time.

• Like 1

Loading emulators like Provenance is a hacky pain, so the Razer box is well worth the $100 I paid to avoid that particular hassle.

Thanks for all the info, was wondering about all of that. The Razor will play emulators out of the box? No rooting?

I have a MAC and if I had an Apple TV I may try that hack but it does look like a bit of work to do and its not exactly perfect.