IGNORED

Ouya Thread

phaxda

OUYA has announced an 'all-access pass' that allows you to play any of the games/DLC that are available for the system for $59.99. The 'all-access pass' works for 12 months with only a couple limitations... nothing over $30 and not valid on gameplay boosting/cheating purchases (pay for extra lives/items/etc). No mention of how developers will be compensated for these downloads.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ouya-offers-all-access-pass-to-800-games-for-59-99/

I've avoided the OUYA over concerns that many purchased games still require online check-in, but the option of $60 for a year of playing anything that's on the system is very tempting.

What's the best solution for expanding the storage capacity of an OUYA? Can you launch games from an SD card? Or is a USB flash drive/hard drive required for game storage?

Edited by boog

Even if the $30 Pinball Arcade season passes are excluded, you should be able to download all of the $5 table packs separately. Pinball Arcade S3/S4 is one of the reasons that I'm considering this purchase. Pinball Arcade on PSN has been annoying with no season 3 pass and the long delays for new DLC. Since there won't be a day one season 4 pass on any platform, being able to catch up with S3 and to play all S4 tables released over the next 12 months would be nice...

But, as Greg2600 mentioned, it looks like the all-access pass was limited quantity and sold out very quickly. Hopefully they'll be offering more passes soon...

Edited by boog

• 3 weeks later...

I got an OUYA, but have mostly just used it as a PLEX media box. It works alright for that.

Overall, OUYA has a lot of problems, in my opinion. While I really love the physical design (the box and controller look and feel nice and I love the OUYA controller's battery compartment designs), about everything IN the system irks me. In my experience, many of the apps are buggy or slow/prone to stuttering. On top of that, the OS's GUI is an absolute mess and very frustrating to navigate. And, of course, it's very lacking in quality games.

What may be the worst thing is how oblivious OUYA is to its own shortcomings. It is showy as hell, reminding you at every opportunity that it's a game-changer and so amazing, when in reality it's poorly designed on many fronts and largely irrelevant. It will only become more irrelevant as major consoles open up to more indie stuff (like the PS4, PS Vita, and Nintendo DS have with games like Shovel Knight) and the "media box" functionality gets taken over by more specialized, smaller options like the Chromecast.

People say that OUYA is a "retro box," but I never understood that. Hook a 360 controller up to any PC with Windows XP or later and you've got a retro box+. Why would I want a dedicated console to playing those things when my computer could do it, instead?

In my opinion, OUYA fills a ghost niche. People thought that they really needed the OUYA, but then they discovered that they didn't.

Edited by Cybearg

Last weekend I got around to removing its batteries and packing mine back away in the box. A shame really.

It was hard putting the 'thank you for believing' insert over it for probably the last time. Almost like I was burying the thing.

Steam's turned out to be pretty good at the stuff I wanted OUYA for, though. Lots of the best android games have been winding up there.

Edited by Reaperman

The emulation is cool but its a bummer about this console. I was sure proven wrong, I thought it would be a lot more successful and maybe it still is in a way I dont know cause I havent been keeping up.

I think the NVidia tablet coming out soon will be the nail in the coffin. That thing comes with a better controller and you can stream your PC games to it. You can also hook it up to a big screen TV, it also connects to the Google Play store so you can get your android apps. Its expensive with the controller added on, $350 for the 16GB model but to me that's the killer that could end it all for the Ouya.

The new nvidia tablet is three times the price of the OUYA, doesn't come with a controller, and doesn't use the unique OUYA ecosystem. The nvidia shield didn't "end it all" for OUYA, and neither will this. OUYA can fail on its own without something else "killing" it.

I do think that google play is a lot more compelling than the OUYA or Amazon Android store. I don't think that yet another android thing adds much new to what's available though, especially when there will be very few titles specifically developed for the high end tegra platforms.

• 3 weeks later...

Again, Did anyone try the HID USB controllers & Adapters for this yet?

I want to know if the USB Contollers like for the Super NES still works
I waant to get it, But I want some answers

No, that would require us to power it on again. And none of us do.

I'm pretty late to the party on this one. If you can avoid an OUYA purchase, I highly recommend that you do.

Nothing interesting has been released in at least 6 months. (link)

Edit: I'm just going to remove my rant here and delete the next couple paragraphs. Consider yourself lucky that you haven't yet spent money on Ouya's UNFORGIVABLY bad hardware or software and let it die in silence like it should.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm pretty late to the party on this one. If you can avoid an OUYA purchase, I highly recommend that you do.

That's quite harsh. I'm usually and old cranky curmudgeon, but I've had imeasurable fun with my Ouya. It's my go-to emulator console becuase of it's ease of use with the Nostalgia front end app. You say nothing good has been released in 6 months, but there are STILL more good games available for it than for my almost year-old, dust gathering PS4 right now. The convenience of being a tiny, little cube hooked up to a TV instead of another computer for a second media center is also invaluable. I don't need another $100 Roku box or anything else that streams Netflix when the Ouya streams fine and also plays games. And I can take it anywhere, quickly. It came in very handy on vacation where there was, god forbid, no internet available. And since streaming play has been introduced, along with local PC streaming, I'm not seeing this as a negative experience. Although it didn't start out that way, it has become well worth the $99 price I paid for it on Kickstarter.

I agree, it's not the best thing in the world but it's hardly a disaster if you like retro games. I think it's a lot more useful than a Retron 5, personally.

NinjaWarrior, it costs $90 brand new and comes with a decent wireless controller. You can probably get it for less used. If you want to mess around with adapters and wires, you can probably make it work with a retro SNES controller, but IMHO it's not worth the effort, the standard OUYA controller has the right mappings ready to go.

• Like 1

Again, Did anyone try the HID USB controllers & Adapters for this yet?

I want to know if the USB Contollers like for the Super NES still works
I waant to get it, But I want some answers

Okay, I don't know what "HID" stands for, but I coincidentally tried out the USB adapters I have over the weekend. I tried out adapters for the NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, and Playstation. The only adapter that wouldn't work for me was the Playstation adapter.

If you need specifics on the adapters I have, I can list them (got them all from Amazon).

Nothing interesting has been released in at least 6 months. (link)

Edit: I'm just going to remove my rant here and delete the next couple paragraphs. Consider yourself lucky that you haven't yet spent money on Ouya's UNFORGIVABLY bad hardware or software and let it die in silence like it should.

Yeah, I was perhaps a little tipsy (or more) when I may or may not have written this and maybe shouldn't be so hard on the little system. For being so overly harsh, I'll now punish myself by saying something positive about it: It's got a nicer exterior finish than any other console I can think of.

Okay, I don't know what "HID" stands for, but I coincidentally tried out the USB adapters I have over the weekend. I tried out adapters for the NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, and Playstation. The only adapter that wouldn't work for me was the Playstation adapter.

If you need specifics on the adapters I have, I can list them (got them all from Amazon).

Playstation 3 controllers sync well with the Ouya. If you've got a spare laying around, plug in a mini-USB cable into the back of the Ouya, and your PS3 controller is now synced. Disconnect the USB and enjoy wireless gaming with less latency than the stock controllers. PS3 has all the buttons SNES does and then some, and a good Dpad, so feel free to use those. Edited by stardust4ever

Yeah, I use the PS3 controller for emulated Playstation games on the Ouya. I just had the PS1/PS2 adapter for my PC, so I thought I'd try it.

The adapter that was most important to me was the Genesis adapter. I love the 6-button Genesis controller and prefer to use it for any Genesis game, emulated or not. The weird thing about that adapter is that even though it has two ports, the Ouya seemed to only recognize one. Also, I think it is hard to lay out the N64 buttons on any other controller, so I was glad that adapter worked.

I'm starting to get a lot more use out of my Ouya now that I finally figured out how to access the Amazon App Store (I'm a little behind on these things). A few of the games I got as an Amazon free app of the day work with Bluetooth controllers, so they work with the Ouya. Unfortunately, the X-Men side-scrolling arcade beat-'em-up from the '90s wasn't one of them. :(