IGNORED

4 Port or 2 Port?

Illtiger1

• 2 weeks later...

After some trouble shooting, it turned out to be the PS. I forgot at the time, but I have an Atari 5200 PS that I use for my Intellivision II. I plugged it into the switch box and the LED came on. The system is big, but I think it looks great along with the controllers. Since then I've put in a few hours and think it's a great system. I only have about 11 common games including: Jungle Hunt, Football, Star Raiders, Super Breakout, Pac Man, Dig Dug, Galaxian, etc. The only game where I feel the controller is a real pain is Pac Man. Unfortunately, both of the controllers are missing the rubber boots so I'm unsure how much of a change that makes. The games I have are good so far, but I bought the system to play Fractalus, Gremlins, Pitfall II, Space Dungeon, Baseball, etc. Looking forward to adding those, Best refurb controllers, and a track ball in the future. I think that mods are very cool for A/V and controllers, but I personally prefer the original experience. Thanks for the responses and feedback; much appreciated.

Glad to hear the fix was simple. I'm not sure if you would consider a digital joystick as part of the experience, but a Competition Pro or Masterplay should be at the top of the "to get" list if so. Berzerk is kind of unplayable without one (you slide into the electrified walls) but is killer with one. And all the maze games too, of course.

You have the right idea with Space Dungeon -- and add Robotron if you have the controller coupler. Those games are great fits for the analog stick.

• 1 month later...

I have't read through all the responses yet, and you may have already gotten a system, but just for the record I'd say get whichever one - 4 port or 2 port - that you can find that works.

My first 5200 was a four port. It came with its switch box, and it worked and worked quite fine, no picture problems.

As long as the box is there and it works, I don't see any problem with it. I don't think it's going to be prone to picture problems any more than a 2 port.

I really don't know why the "Ohmagod the power goes into the switchbox!" causes some Atarians to have coniption fits.

There are two BIOS revs for the 5200, the original and the revised. Most 2ports have the revised BIOS but some have the original. The original is compatible with all 5200 games. The revised included PAL support (which never was used) and broke three games. You can swap out the BIOS fairly easily.
The four port was incompatible with the 2600 adapter and had the non-standard switchbox. There are mods to fix the 2600 adapter compatibility and to use a standard switchbox (or the RCA to F-jack adapter).

Mitch

My four port models works with the 2600 adapter, it has a "*" in the model number. I like the auto switchbox, due to its uniqueness.

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

The controller issues have been a setback for me. I see 5200 systems going for around $70 or so with shipping on eBay and I know the controllers probably won't work well. In that probable case I will have to spend even more money on a refurbished controller. It ends up being an expensive proposition for the system.

So check out Collector's Cards and Games. He has 5200 consoles in 4-port and 2-port models. And some of the games he has are new in the box for about $5 for most common titles.

So check out Collector's Cards and Games. He has 5200 consoles in 4-port and 2-port models. And some of the games he has are new in the box for about $5 for most common titles.

This guy lived a few towns over from me in NJ and I got some great A8 hardware from him. 5200 Trakball too.

I heard he moved to Florida (?) but he was always fair and had good stuff when I dealt with him.

His website shows he moved to Florida on some pages, others still show NJ. Some of the controllers he has, however, may need to be rebuilt. He sent four controller to me one time at $5 each that needed fixing. Sadly, the flex circuits in two of those was beyond any help. The third one held a rather pleasant surprise...fire buttons with three dots instead of two and a white flex circuit. Give him a shot and don't hesitate to ask about rare items he may have that might not work or be complete. You might be surprised at what you can find and may get working again.