IGNORED

4 Port or 2 Port?

Illtiger1

I've decided to cash in my father's day gift on either a 5200 or XEGS since I always wanted them both growing up (I had/still have a 2600 and 7800). For the 5200, I was wondering if I should try to acquire the original four port or two port. I am aware that the four utilizes the switchbox, possibly does not work with the VCS adapter, but plays all games. Which one is the preferred model for collectors? Is one more reliable? I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

imo the 4 ports always have problems with the switchbox so you have a crappy picture . If you dont mind not being able to play ... I think Pitfall and maybe 1 or 2 more go with the 2 port . Or have someone mod a 4 port for you to get rid of using the switchbox and have a nice composite/s video signal . A user name apolloboy whom I may still have to hit up on here mods 5200s and a few other members also do .

Edited by AtariBrian
  • Like 1

I would recommend a two port system. If it bothers you that it can not play those few games you can always put a four port bios chip in it.

If you get an AtariMax SD cart there are versions of those games patched to work on the two port so you wouldn't even have to change the bios.

I bought my first 5200, a 2 port, off of ebay with some games for 40 dollars. 6 months later I found a working 4 port with games for 11 dollars at a yard sale. Still ended up buying a rebuilt gold controller of of ebay cause I got tired of fixing the stock ones.

Edited by edweird13

Interesting, which games don't work on the 2 port?

Pitfall

Mountain King

K-Razy Shootout

I personally prefer the 4-port as it can play all the carts, is shinier (2 ports have duller plastic in the case,) and its the original model. But I do understand why others might prefer the 2-port. Never had any issues with the 4-port switch box myself.

When I had my first 5200, it was the 4 port... and I never had a problem with the switch box. Just maintain it and it will work fine. However, I now have the 2 port and I'm happier just plugging it in from the back of the unit. Both are fine by me. :)

Whether it's 4 or 14 controllers, they will never work right. I just snagged a pair of refurbished gold tactical feedback controllers from Best Electronics. I'm hoping they are as good as people are saying. I rebuilt my original two with new rev 9 flexies and aluminum tape dots... still encountering buttons not working every once in a while.

OP: If and when you get a 5200 (and if it comes with controllers), expect the controllers to have issues.

There's also the option of getting the 2-port and swapping in a 4-port bios to help with those couple of games. :)

edit: Whoops! Even though I read through the thread to see if anyone had already posted this, I overlooked where it was mentioned in post #4.

Edited by KevinMos3

Here are some good (and common/easy to find) games for 5200 you should look for:

- Centipede (5200 version is really good)

- Realsports Baseball (it talks, and is really fun to play)

- Berzerk (it talks, and it is really challenging).

5200 games to avoid:

- Frogger (you will hate the controller with this game)

- Joust (good game -- it just makes you feel like the controller could break at any minute)

5200 games to avoid:

- Frogger (you will hate the controller with this game)

- Joust (good game -- it just makes you feel like the controller could break at any minute)

Not really disagreeing with you but...

Frogger lets you use the keypad: m_Frogger_2.jpg

if that helps at all

• Like 1

Not really disagreeing with you but...

Frogger lets you use the keypad: m_Frogger_2.jpg

if that helps at all

Nope. Frogger just makes you wonder why you're collecting for 5200 when the 8-bit computers are basically the same thing with a better controller.

The controller issues have been a setback for me. I see 5200 systems going for around $70 or so with shipping on eBay and I know the controllers probably won't work well. In that probable case I will have to spend even more money on a refurbished controller. It ends up being an expensive proposition for the system.

Interested to hear how those controllers pan out. Thanks for the game suggestions. I want the system mainly so I can play Gremlins, Baseball, Pitfall 2, Rescue on Fractalus, and Frogger II. Unfortunately, I may have to wait til Christmas as the eBay prices for the 5200 seem high lately.

Edited by Illtiger1

Not all the 2-ports are incompatible with those 3 games. My 2-port functions just fine with Pitfall (can't say about the other two games because I don't own them). There must have been a bios revision somewhere that fixed that issue, I just wouldn't know how to spot a 2-port and know if it was compatible or not. Probably has to do with the serial number but there's not a database for that I believe.

I have to recommend the 2-port as well, because since you bypass the awful powered switchbox, you can use one of those RF-to-Coax adapters that bypasses switchboxes all together and get a much cleaner picture in the process. I haven't used a switchbox on any of my classic Atari machines for years now, after I found that little adapter, and have been much happier with the picture quality.

Also, just spend the money on one gold-dot kit, and buy a Competition Pro digital controller off ebay. The 5200 requires some investment if you want to get any meaningful enjoyment from it IMHO. You'll also need to fork over some more money for a Trak-Ball.

So you can't use the coaxial adapters with the four port switch box? The converter gold one you screw into the cable jack in the back of a TV won't work? I use it for my 7800, 2600, and Intellivision and it works great.

Not all the 2-ports are incompatible with those 3 games. My 2-port functions just fine with Pitfall (can't say about the other two games because I don't own them). There must have been a bios revision somewhere that fixed that issue, I just wouldn't know how to spot a 2-port and know if it was compatible or not. Probably has to do with the serial number but there's not a database for that I believe.

I have to recommend the 2-port as well, because since you bypass the awful powered switchbox, you can use one of those RF-to-Coax adapters that bypasses switchboxes all together and get a much cleaner picture in the process. I haven't used a switchbox on any of my classic Atari machines for years now, after I found that little adapter, and have been much happier with the picture quality.

Also, just spend the money on one gold-dot kit, and buy a Competition Pro digital controller off ebay. The 5200 requires some investment if you want to get any meaningful enjoyment from it IMHO. You'll also need to fork over some more money for a Trak-Ball.

There are two BIOS revs for the 5200, the original and the revised. Most 2ports have the revised BIOS but some have the original. The original is compatible with all 5200 games. The revised included PAL support (which never was used) and broke three games. You can swap out the BIOS fairly easily.

The four port was incompatible with the 2600 adapter and had the non-standard switchbox. There are mods to fix the 2600 adapter compatibility and to use a standard switchbox (or the RCA to F-jack adapter).

Mitch

• Like 1