IGNORED

I've acquired an Atari ST 520...

Hey everyone, how are we all?

So a little while ago I was given an Atari ST by someone who bought a TV from me (random I know...). Anyhow, have finally managed to get it out, find an RF lead and turn it on and low and behold it actually works.

I plugged a mouse into (serial) but it wouldn't work and all the keys just made beep noises. I fished out a floppy disk (Lotus Challenge I think it was), turned off the machine, popped the disk in, turned on and it loaded.

I then plugged in a mega drive controller (the ST didn't come with joysticks) and managed to get a race to start, but the gamepad did not work. The only other controller I could try was a 2600 joystick, which didn't do anything at all - the button did nothing.

I have never owned an ST before so I have no idea what I am doing to be honest. But can somebody shed some enlightenment on what I should be doing?

Many thanks :)

Congrats on the new ST!

Yes you need an Atari ST specific mouse and an Atari 2600/C64/Atari 800 style joystick for it to work. Sounds like you are using the wrong mouse/joypads with it.

Other than that you just need to read the Atari 520ST(fm) manual if that is the model you have (does it have a built in 3.5" disk drive?) If the drive is external only, it's just the Atari 520ST.

Edit:

Here is the manual in PDF format:

https://www.google.c...i3rhBbh2nF7juqA

Edited by tjlazer

I added a link to the manual in PDF. yes that joystick should work, make sure it's plugged into the 2nd joy port, not the Mouse port. (unless you want to use it as player 2 on two player games) The mouse usually stays in Port 1.

The ST suffers from dry joints on the joystick and mouse ports - its very likely the keyboard needs carefully dissassembling (remove the 50 ish screws under PCB) and then resolder the port pins. Wait until youve got a proper stick and mouse to test with first. Any stick from 64 or Amiga wil work. Mouse needs to be Atari or ST compatible.

The ST suffers from dry joints on the joystick and mouse ports - its very likely the keyboard needs carefully dissassembling (remove the 50 ish screws under PCB) and then resolder the port pins. Wait until youve got a proper stick and mouse to test with first. Any stick from 64 or Amiga wil work. Mouse needs to be Atari or ST compatible.

If it's a dry joints problem, is there anywhere that will sort that for me? I am no good with solder and the like :(

You will know if it is dry joints, the symptoms will be that certain directions or buttons don't work, and they can start working when you move the joystick or mouse cables or move the plugs whilst testing - if it affects the response it will need doing.

If youre in the UK I could do this for you, but wait until youve worked out what's what first. It could just be that youve had the wrong controllers.

The constant keyclick - press each of the keys down do make sure one is not stuck. Ive had issues with the spacebar on STs where after pressing space a few times it stops the beep / clicking noise.

If you do need it resoldering there are probably local electronics repair places near you that would resolder the joystick and mouse ports - it's easier than posting the keyboard or ST...

Edited by GadgetUK

I have problems with non standard joysticks too, even the 7800 pads cause problems. Get yourself a nice Zipstick or Competition Pro and it will be a great investment for gaming fun :)

If the 2600 joystick didn't work AND you know the joystick works fine on other computers then you probably do have a problem as others have said (we are assuming the joystick is known working on another computer/console)

I have problems with non standard joysticks too, even the 7800 pads cause problems. Get yourself a nice Zipstick or Competition Pro and it will be a great investment for gaming fun :)

If the 2600 joystick didn't work AND you know the joystick works fine on other computers then you probably do have a problem as others have said (we are assuming the joystick is known working on another computer/console)

I know the 2600 ones are fine. I will try them on the other port as that was probably the problem there :)

Iirc correctly the mega drive controllers may work in the mouse port, which for some reason can handle more fire buttons than one... well two anyway (wish Atari hadn't cheaped out on the main joystick port, we might have got some two button games...). Master system ones work however, I think the second one then works like an autofire, if the only two button joypad I have for my ST is anything to go by.

RE: Making your own floppy disks from a PC

I'm a new 520ST owner as well, and making your own disks from images works very well for me. One tip I found -- using DSDD disks works best. If you do have HD disks, they work too. Just make sure to put a piece of masking tape over the hole (opposite the write protect hole) on the disk. The PC will think it is a DD disk and format it properly. Otherwise, the HD disks don't work!