IGNORED

Re-Started Frenzy / Berzerk :)

PacManPlus

51 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

There was a third game in the Berzerk / Frenzy franchise?

Yes, I meant - as Atari now have released a Berzerk Recharged, and we have good port port for the 7800 (also Frenzy), why not think along lines of synergy-effects…?

One could think of a Frenzy Recharged.

One could also think of a actual retro-conception of a third installment/game.

Just thinking out loud - Atari could produce a Berzerk III, one version for the 2600, one for the 7800, and one completely new for PC and Consoles.

Release them at the same time, to boost interest in the 2600+ and PolyMega module and also Atari games for PC and Consoles.

I guess, that concept could be called Re-boost the interest.

Thing is, Berzerk and Frenzy have been around for a while in different formats, ports and versions.

Yet, Atari must try to bridge a huge gap in time with no natural line-up of sequels to make younger folks have personal acquaintance with them. 

A third Berzerk game could do that; move the entire franchise on in depth, and if being made for several platforms, make (another) logical connection from today, back to the era of early genre-inventing arcades.

32 minutes ago, Albert said:

They didn't buy Stern (which is still actively making Pinball machines), but they did acquire a bunch of arcade titles, including Berzerk and Frenzy. 

..Al

That would be quite enough for making a Berzerk 3, wouldn’t it…?

They own the franchise now, without any more strings attached…?

Just now, Giles N said:

That would be quite enough for making a Berzerk 3, wouldn’t it…?

They own the franchise now, without any more strings attached…?

Well, they're already selling Berzerk Enhanced, which is an updated version of the 2600 Berzerk, and Berzerk Recharged for PC/VCS/Modern consoles, so, yes?

..Al

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Albert said:

Well, they're already selling Berzerk Enhanced, which is an updated version of the 2600 Berzerk, and Berzerk Recharged for PC/VCS/Modern consoles, so, yes?

..Al

And I think it could be a project worth considering to have good game-designers for the 2600, 7800 and modern systems, sit down and ponder a third game here which would fit as modern follow-up with high-quality retro-ports for older systems. 

Or - just any overall game-design for 3rd Berzerk-game, which would help bridge 40 years of differences in gaming-expectations from different generations.

I believe that I’ve heard this particular issue being brought up, directly or indirectly, in (several) interviews with Rosen. 

- - -

I also hope that with time, Atari will obtain more classic IPs and make some deals or give some liberty to homebrewers to make Atari-related homebrew-games to be put out here on AA.

Legally, I don’t know much about how such stuff works, but one could imagine Atari putting out some contests for best 2600/5200/7800/Lynx/Jaguar homebrew of an classic IP they hold, and the winner will get his/her/their winning game promoted or rewarded in some way.

So, the difference I suggest from the already (very cool) homebrew scene, is: 

Atari says ‘here’s a bunch of old, classic IPs that never saw a version on the 2600/7800 (etc): homebrewers are free to make versions of them as long as they stand our test (of perhaps not even that, - just let AA community decide).

So, one could imagine everything from Cloak and Dagger for the 7800, Red Baron for the Jaguar, Major Havoc for the 2600, being created.

Some contests with could make it more interesting for people to try, and Atari + AA could expand 1) interest in the 2600+ and Polymega module, number of titles on AA-store and interest in Atari gaming.

Perhaps I should suggest this for @TrogdarRobusto, if he is the contact from Atari…?

Edited by Giles N

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

One could think of a Frenzy Recharged.

My thoughts about "Berzerk Recharged" is that it really feels a lot more like Frenzy anyway, with the way that everything comes at you from all directions at once.  I would imagine that the "Berzerk" name is a lot more marketable/recognizable than "Frenzy" though, so that's the name that they ran with.   

7 minutes ago, SS said:

My thoughts about "Berzerk Recharged" is that it really feels a lot more like Frenzy anyway, with the way that everything comes at you from all directions at once.  I would imagine that the "Berzerk" name is a lot more marketable/recognizable than "Frenzy" though, so that's the name that they ran with.   

I haven't yet had a chance to play "Berzerk Recharged", but look forward to trying it out when I have some free time (lol, free time).

..Al

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:36 PM, Giles N said:

And I think it could be a project worth considering to have good game-designers for the 2600, 7800 and modern systems, sit down and ponder a third game here which would fit as modern follow-up with high-quality retro-ports for older systems. 

Or - just any overall game-design for 3rd Berzerk-game, which would help bridge 40 years of differences in gaming-expectations from different generations.

I believe that I’ve heard this particular issue being brought up, directly or indirectly, in (several) interviews with Rosen. 

- - -

I also hope that with time, Atari will obtain more classic IPs and make some deals or give some liberty to homebrewers to make Atari-related homebrew-games to be put out here on AA.

Legally, I don’t know much about how such stuff works, but one could imagine Atari putting out some contests for best 2600/5200/7800/Lynx/Jaguar homebrew of an classic IP they hold, and the winner will get his/her/their winning game promoted or rewarded in some way.

So, the difference I suggest from the already (very cool) homebrew scene, is: 

Atari says ‘here’s a bunch of old, classic IPs that never saw a version on the 2600/7800 (etc): homebrewers are free to make versions of them as long as they stand our test (of perhaps not even that, - just let AA community decide).

So, one could imagine everything from Cloak and Dagger for the 7800, Red Baron for the Jaguar, Major Havoc for the 2600, being created.

Some contests with could make it more interesting for people to try, and Atari + AA could expand 1) interest in the 2600+ and Polymega module, number of titles on AA-store and interest in Atari gaming.

Perhaps I should suggest this for @TrogdarRobusto, if he is the contact from Atari…?

I agree with what your saying but I think what Atari needs to do first is to try and get their post 1984 arcade titles (Gauntlet, Paperboy etc) “back home” under the Atari banner.

On 11/8/2023 at 11:13 PM, Trebor said:

image.thumb.png.325ef318d47e5bf3d2ecb2f730817c89.png

More than worth the $35.  Buyer is acquiring excellent ports of both Frenzy! and Berzerk, including speech.

One Player, Two Player Alternating, Two Player Cooperative, and Two Player Competitive modes for both titles.

Upgrade to include the box for $20 more.

I need to buy this. But I also really want the carts I ordered from my Last Chance Sale order, and I also don’t want to add to Al’s ever-growing Store backlog … 😕 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flyindrew said:

I agree with what your saying but I think what Atari needs to do first is to try and get their post 1984 arcade titles (Gauntlet, Paperboy etc) “back home” under the Atari banner.

I doubt they have the resources for that. They're always among the most expensive classic IP to license, so the ownership price must be really high. Atari has been sticking with mostly low-hanging fruit to this point, and with good reason.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I doubt they have the resources for that. They're always among the most expensive classic IP to license, so the ownership price must be really high. Atari has been sticking with mostly low-hanging fruit to this point, and with good reason.

and to @Flyindrews comment (which in itself is a good idea)

This has been discussed in the future acquisition poll thread…

This is why Atari probably must find means to make the most out of their already held IP.

And there the problem is of course the age-gap. Most of the famous ones (things people have heard the names of, or seen gameplay of, on the note being iconic) are very old, and have had no natural, seamless line-up of sequels.

Of course, they could try to turn Bubsy into a new Sonic or Mario, or something original but much more likeable (than old Bubsy), but that demands alot of design-brilliance… or trial and error-takes with feedback and testers and what-not…

Edited by Giles N

• 2 months later...

Cool, thank you

BTW, Atari now owns 8 of the games I have done, so you can probably see them popping up like Frenzy:

Asteroids Deluxe

Frenzy / Berzerk

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest

Crazy Brix

Super Circus Atari Age

Meteor Shower

Space Duel

Failsafe

:) 

• Like 11

A suggestion. I wasn't aware of who was the original designer of Frenzy/Bezerk. So the thanks in the credits to him might be more impact ful if its explained in some way who he is for those who don't.

Or perhaps also an in memorium.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JagChris said:

A suggestion. I wasn't aware of who was the original designer of Frenzy/Bezerk. So the thanks in the credits to him might be more impact ful if its explained in some way who he is for those who don't.

Or perhaps also an in memorium.

A similar sentiment was brought up previously and addressed:

image.png.36d7f82fcd9977dbb91a6bb8b41bc64a.png

In memoriam, Alan McNeil was the creator of the original Arcade games Berzerk and Frenzy, with thanks prominently displayed at the title screen of the 7800 port every time the cartridge (or ROM) is played.

More info about Alan McNeil is available here:

https://macromedia.fandom.com/wiki/Alan_McNeil

Here is an obituary:

https://www.buffalohillfh.com/obituaries/alan-mcneil

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Trebor said:

A similar sentiment was brought up previously and addressed:

image.png.36d7f82fcd9977dbb91a6bb8b41bc64a.png

In memoriam, Alan McNeil was the creator of the original Arcade games Berzerk and Frenzy, with thanks prominently displayed at the title screen of the 7800 port every time the cartridge (or ROM) is played.

More info about Alan McNeil is available here:

https://macromedia.fandom.com/wiki/Alan_McNeil

Here is an obituary:

https://www.buffalohillfh.com/obituaries/alan-mcneil

Yes I understand that. But most people may not know who that is.They may think its just some guy who helped out not knowing its the creator. I diid not know who the creator was until that thread.

I just watched a BCB vid today on this and he makes no mention of it. It may he because he had no idea who that was, or some other reason. Actually he mentions McNeil in the arcade game wiki briefly but never seems to notice  it's relation to the name in the Atari game.Oops he does later on watching last half now. 

Also though it says Thanks to... It  comes off kinda vague. It could mean to someone who  even may know who that is what exact r what his role was. It could mean he said yeah port it I don't care. Or simply thanking him for creating the game in the first place. Though I haven't seen the packaging. or instructions.

IMO the fact that he oversaw this version lends a lever of authenticity to it that's really awesome. I think more clarity on the title screen would have upped the cool factor.

Edited by JagChris
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2024 at 12:06 PM, PacManPlus said:

Cool, thank you

BTW, Atari now owns 8 of the games I have done, so you can probably see them popping up like Frenzy:

Asteroids Deluxe

Frenzy / Berzerk

Crazy Brix

Super Circus Atari Age

Meteor Shower

Space Duel

Failsafe

Hopefully they will give you Carte Blanche on any future titles they own that you wish to convert. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:06 PM, PacManPlus said:

Cool, thank you

Asteroids Deluxe

Frenzy / Berzerk

Crazy Brix

Super Circus Atari Age

Meteor Shower

Space Duel

Failsafe

That is brilliant news, congratulations Bob.
Hope you are well!

I wish they sold the VCS in the UK and I'd certainly have a dabble 

• Thanks 1