IGNORED

The Story Behind It Is ...

Fushek

OK ... so many of us have some fairly "unique" screen names. Some of them I can figure out the story behind (JasonlikesINTV is pretty obvious ;) ) but there are many that I'd love to know how they came up with their ID and hear the story behind it.

Mine's pretty easy.

Fushek is based on a character that I created when I was playing around with writing (had some sci-fi stories published, but nothing of note). Fushek was a old goblin-wizard with a nasty disposition (hey, he's a goblin ... he has a temper). He became one of my favorite characters to write about and create a history for as he and a human wizard were trained in magic by the same elven magician. Fushek and the human wizard, though mortal enemies, eventually learned to work together for the betterment of the world. (OK ... so it sounded cooler in my head.)

And so, since my last name is Smith, and Smith#228716987A didn't sound like a very fun ID, I decided upon my favorite character, Fushek! :thumbsup:

So, if you're willing to share, let's hear them!

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 2

Mine's pretty simple. Once upon a time, when dinosaurs roam the network, and 16MB of RAM on your PC was considered "high end," I used to skydive. I also was a member of a local BBS (Bulletin Board System, an ancient type of online forum, where you connected via modem) in my town.

When I joined the BBS, I needed to come up with a nickname as a login, and after agonizing over it for almost 10 whole minutes, I came up with "DZ J." This was short for "Drop Zone James" (Drop Zone being a skydiving term for the area where you land, and James my name." I thought it was pretty cool.

There was a minimum number of characters, and the dot and space were not allowed, so I changed it to "DZ-Jay."

Being a local BBS, we also used to meet in real life, to go to the movies or bowling, and it was common (and fun) to call each other by our nicks. After all, that's how we knew each other when communicating online, which was quite often.

My later-to-be wife was a technical support rep and sysop (system operator, like a moderator now) at that BBS, and I met her while calling for support one day. We later met at a group outing to the movies, and hit it off--but that's another story.

Anyway, people called me "DZ-Jay" then and it spread around to new friends and acquaintances, and it stuck; and I've been using that as my online and offline nickname since. Even my wife calls me "DZ." About the only people who call me by my real name are my parents.

So there you have it, the story of "DZ-Jay." :)

dZ.

• Like 7

The story behind mine is... oh nevermind. Completely non-creative and dull.

I've actually been giving thought to creating a new moniker for myself on gaming sites because of a project I'm working on. It might be fun to be known by a handle instead of my regular name.

noooooes. i know you by your name and your avatar of lupin. oh well. i would eventually get used to it. at least keep your lupin avatar through the transition process.

i am reposting here as it is relevant to this thread:

my forum days started with n64 emulator forums. i loved trying to crappily emulate the n64. i also used to help them a lot to provide better compatibility because back in those days they made ini files that could control so much of how each individual game played. regretfully i forget what my username was back then. EDIT: my username was ed69 back then. the next year i moved in with a friend and he got me hooked on this sweet thing called aol instant messanger. you didnt have to have aol to send receive messages and files. sweet. (texting is the answer these days) so him knowing i liked the star wars franchise i asked him to create a screen name for me while i went to work and requested darth and 69 (i have a huge love for the yin yang) be in the name. well the dumb bastard created a screen name using maul instead of darth and adding the word pimp and that is how a legend was born. (man i wish i could remember my old screen name)

I tend to be too curious for my own good. I waste a lot of time looking into things and learning about things even though I will probably never have a chance to use the information. So I thought a good nickname might be "curious" or "Iamcurious".

But "I am curious" was the name of an old x-rated movie, so I thought it might be misunderstood...

Then I remembered the old saying "curiosity killed the cat". Hmm, so curiosity is the "cat's folly"? So I chose the name "Catsfolly".

Unfortunately, I think most people interpret it to mean I am a big fan of cats.

Actually, I like dogs better than cats, since dogs are friendlier and more straightforward at expressing their feelings.

But, I live in a tiny apartment, so I have no pets.

And that's my story.

• Like 6

noooooes. i know you by your name and your avatar of lupin. oh well. i would eventually get used to it. at least keep your lupin avatar through the transition process.

Wow, thanks for that. I'm still very new around here and I really appreciate that anyone would recognize me at all. Maybe that will be a defining characteristic for me - a boring forum name!

I would definitely keep my Lupin avatar - I spent so many hours playing Lock -n- Chase as a pre-teen/early teen. Plus the Inty graphic of him looks so good; it really invokes the old-school video game graphics feeling, even if you don't know what game or system the character is from.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for that. I'm still very new around here and I really appreciate that anyone would recognize me at all. Maybe that will be a defining characteristic for me - a boring forum name!

I would definitely keep my Lupin avatar - I spent so many hours playing Lock -n- Chase as a pre-teen/early teen. Plus the Inty graphic of him looks so good; it really invokes the old-school video game graphics feeling, even if you don't know what game or system the character is from.

i am a huge pac-man fan. i have the tattoo and all the accessories including my custom nikes with the pacman name on them, but i definitely like lupin himself. i just wish the maps were bigger. thats where i start to get bored with lock -n- chase. i even love playing games like ladybug, rally x and the vectrex clean sweep. i have to admit i have not played the arcade lock -n- chase though to know how that is.

i am a huge pac-man fan. i have the tattoo and all the accessories including my custom nikes with the pacman name on them, but i definitely like lupin himself. i just wish the maps were bigger. thats where i start to get bored with lock -n- chase. i even love playing games like ladybug, rally x and the vectrex clean sweep. i have to admit i have not played the arcade lock -n- chase though to know how that is.

Lol! If you weren't sure how much Pimp likes Pac Man, look at my avatar, he designed it. :)

• Like 2

Are you really good at the game?

I've been trying to learn the perfect pac-man patterns but the timing is so precise its hard to do.

Are you really good at the game?

I've been trying to learn the perfect pac-man patterns but the timing is so precise its hard to do.

i dont know all the secrets, i just played it as best i could and used to be able to get to about level 150ish. now days parkinson's is a bitch to play pac-man with.