IGNORED

Is it just me?

retroillucid

No, it's normal. PAL Cv run in 50hz instead 60hz and so all games are more slow than NTSC consoles. We endured the same troubles about others systems until the the release of the Dreamcast, which was the first console which PAL version support 60 hz and propose a frequency selection menu when the game launch.

No, it's normal. PAL Cv run in 50hz instead 60hz and so all games are more slow than NTSC consoles. We endured the same troubles about others systems until the the release of the Dreamcast, which was the first console which PAL version support 60 hz and propose a frequency selection menu when the game launch.

Man! It feels like playing on a slow pc

Damn, it really sucks to play those games at a slow speed

We have become accustomed to it over the many years.

Smurf - Popeye - Tarzan - Gyruss - Frogger - Pac-Man Collection and so on.

There was especially in connection with Frogger, Popeye and Pac-Man Collection I actually became aware of the problem.

So no it's normal for us CV PAL users.

I noticed some graphical errors on the first games he tested in the video.

The MSX has also the same problem, Japanese Gradius players play through the game at 60hz, while European gamers are at 50hz, so they technically have an advantage to win the game :)

Zombie Near, Princess Quest and forthcoming Mecha Eight take in account the Colecovision system to adapt automatically the game to PAL or NTSC, so the game is same in Europe and America :D

• Like 1

All Electric Adventure games either used the processor clock on the MSX, so they run the same speed no matter what region.

The conversions to the Colecovision adapt the timings of the region so play at the same speed in both regions (and I have tested this to make sure).

that is the most troublesome with 50hz , it is when game uses flickering. it is really visible. For instance in Pacman collection or Tapper.

But otherwise, i largely prefer PAL and SECAM format , than NTSC...

and as programmer , i prefer also 50hz... it allows me to do more thing between 2 vertical blanking! :) ... each time i have to scale down my games when i want make them work also on NTSC :(

I think one day, i will do one game that works only on 50hz CV ... just to prove to the world the superioty of PAL/Secam format ... AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH (satanic laugh!) :mad:

:-D

Just a question:

Is there a 50-60 hz switch mod that can be added to CV consoles, similar to Sega Genesis/Mega Drive mods? Might that be the answer to the slow-down issue with many CV games?

The frame speed depends of video chip: TMS9928 for NTSC or TMS9929 for PAL.

You would have to replace video chip, so there is no possibility for a switch mod.

Making a socket adapter with both video chip

Add switch to activate one or the other

would not be possible?

It could be, but I think still would be required an adaptation of the RF hardware and the synchro mixer. I'm not sure if a PAL RF modulator is able to receive an NTSC signal from video chip.

Someone with a socketed TMS9929 VDP could try to replace it with a TMS9928 and see what happens (in fact I'm not sure if there is a change of pins)

So as I said, not an easy modification.