IGNORED

NANO-PEB 16C550 UART / SITE UPDATE

Omega-TI

I am actually pretty excited about the new UART on the nanoPEB. I would even be willing to sell mine and replace it with one of the new ones. The faster serial seems VERY useful, in particular since I do not use the old serial for anything.

What's the problem with the DSR on the latest nanoPEB? Is it that he called the RS232 COM1? If so, that's not a DSR problem, that's a problem with the (old) software that assumes devices like PIO and RS232. The TI DSR system is device agnostic, it doesn't know what the devices are called (since they are on the DSR ROMs on the cards in the BOX) and so any software should really let the user specify devices when dealing with drives, printers, and the like.

I remember John Birdwell's DSKU assumed DSKx for all drives. A real arse if you're using a hard disk, or a HDX board!

I am actually pretty excited about the new UART on the nanoPEB.

The faster serial seems VERY useful, in particular since I do not use the old serial for anything.

Who knows in the future, this MIGHT be the best thing since sliced bread, but for right now ALL assembly language programs that used the RS-232 port are now rendered USELESS on the new Nano-PEB.

If so, that's not a DSR problem, that's a problem with the (old) software that assumes devices like PIO and RS232. The TI DSR system is device agnostic, it doesn't know what the devices are called (since they are on the DSR ROMs on the cards in the BOX) and so any software should really let the user specify devices when dealing with drives, printers, and the like.

I do not know what to say, I tried to do a basic Print File command with BA-Writer, since that program allows one to type in the device.... entering ANY variant with COM1 will result in an error code 15.

-- The newest and fastest computer in the world is nothing more than a doorstop without software.

What's the problem with the DSR on the latest nanoPEB? Is it that he called the RS232 COM1? If so, that's not a DSR problem, that's a problem with the (old) software that assumes devices like PIO and RS232. The TI DSR system is device agnostic, it doesn't know what the devices are called (since they are on the DSR ROMs on the cards in the BOX) and so any software should really let the user specify devices when dealing with drives, printers, and the like.

I remember John Birdwell's DSKU assumed DSKx for all drives. A real arse if you're using a hard disk, or a HDX board!

Most programs use low-level access to the RS232, namely the 9902 chip, for terminal emulation and file transfers. The DSR is for the most part irrelevant at that point.

Most programs use low-level access to the RS232, namely the 9902 chip, for terminal emulation and file transfers. The DSR is for the most part irrelevant at that point.

Good to know. I was thinking about getting a nanoPEB primarily for the serial port (I already have a CF7+) to connect the TI to my Raspberry Pi, so I'm glad I didn't.

Good to know. I was thinking about getting a nanoPEB primarily for the serial port (I already have a CF7+) to connect the TI to my Raspberry Pi, so I'm glad I didn't.

You got lucky! Sometimes waiting is a good thing!

As someone told me in an email, it's not Fred's Kaals responsibility to pick up the pieces after somebody else Fubars it. I have no idea how this will play out at this point in time, but let's just say I have no loyalty to this device. If someone else decided to come out with a "PICO-PEB" that worked with reliable and easy to purchase memory in a daisy-chain configuration, I'd buy it!

It's a shame the developer of the nanoPEB chooses NOT to engage with the TI community. Why he bothers to do such a lot of work on it (because it's really a very large amount of work to do all that by yourself) and then NOT engage with the community that buys your product is just beyond me. If he *had* bothered to engage, he could have asked the community what they thought of the idea of changing the UART, and he would have gotten his answer.

Sounds like this latest version is a door-stop. I gave my nanoPEB away. Couldn't be bothered with it. I'm old-school. Just give me a PEB.

It's a shame the developer of the nanoPEB chooses NOT to engage with the TI community.

I bet he gets a lot more done though by choosing not to engage with umpteen different TI forums!

I wonder if he's anticipating problems getting TMS9902s from a reliable source at a price he's willing to pay?

Stuart.

Edited by Stuart

I wonder if he's anticipating problems getting TMS9902s from a reliable source at a price he's willing to pay?

Almost certainly, yes. I figured pretty much the same thing. I'm guessing that since this version has an incompatible serial port, that that is the reason he named it as COM1 in the DSR. Makes sense. Unfortunately, RS232 on the TI is one of those things that everbody did directly, without using the DSRs, since it's very simple to read/write the UART directly. That has the side effect (of course) that all that direct-RS232 software is going to break on this version of the nanoPEB.

This dude has developed VHDL versions of the 9901 and 9902.

That has the side effect (of course) that all that direct-RS232 software is going to break on this version of the nanoPEB.

How much of that exists in the real world, and do we have a list?

This dude has developed VHDL versions of the 9901 and 9902.

That was going to be my next question. Neat! Even more neat, and informative, was his purpose:

Designed functional equivalents of three peripheral chips, TMS9901, TMS9902, TMS9904 for obsolete TMS9900 microprocessor system in extending the life of OTIS Elevonic 101/401 elevator control systems.

Though, that probably means the implementation is commercial or at least closed.

• Like 1

I bought one of these but haven't had the chance to mess around with it yet. In other threads, I mentioned how I'm a noob to the nanoPEB in general. Because I don't own a program recorder or PEB+disk drive, I plan to use it to run commercial cassette/disk-based software that I own. Will this new wrinkle create problems with that plan? Thanks for any insight.

If you plan to use the nanoPEB for loading games and apps to CF and run them (assuming you don't need to run terminal emulation programs or any pre existing apps using rs232) you should be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to hear about the issues that will affect others (and maybe me in the future).

As is, the current model of the CF7 is NOT worthless... You still have the 32k, the disk access, etc... It is basically a PEB without rs232. =)

However, for me, the big deal with the nanoPEB was hooking up two TI computers together, one with regular disk drives and then the nano with its CF card, in order to do MFM to MFM serial XMODEM transfers... As a recovery tool.

Additionally I had hoped to use the nanoPEB to log into the Hidden Reef and Heatwave... The problem is, however, that TELCO and other Terminal Emulation programs are looking for a standard rs232 card (or the previous TMS9902 nanoPEB equivalent) and will not work with a COM1 UART setup. Shame...

Owen

How much of that exists in the real world, and do we have a list?

Most assembly/c based software will access the RS232 directly. BASIC/Extended BASIC software will use the Rs232 at a high level. The difference being direct access is usually needed for anything beyond simple "printing" to the RS232.

If you don't care about the RS232 functionality, the nanoPEB is still a neat device.

• 9 months later...

I don't have any V2 available. I do have V1 version available. If you write I/O directly to the UART you can achieve 38400 bps. However, the terminal emulator cartridge only supports up to 300 bps (verrrry slow!). "Telco", a third party terminal is not compatible with nanoPEB. There may be others that would work.

Damn!

Edited by slinkeey

Darn. I wanted to get one of these to to connect up to my PC and utilize tcpser in order to connect to a BBS.

I know the feeling! I too am limited for space and originally went this route, but after three strikes due to numerous issues with the Nano, I was forced down another path. In hindsight being forced into the TI-PEB was the best thing that could ever have happened. I managed to find enough room for it and no longer have to worry about compatibility issues, failures or flaky operation.

It's easy to Telnet to BBS's on the internet using a Lantronix UDS-10 and Telco hooked up to the TI-RS-232. I originally had some trouble because I did not know interrupt line on the TI-RS-232 was severed for HDX operation. After the guys here helped me out, no problem.

gallery_35324_1102_242551.jpg

sml_gallery_35324_1102_500642.jpgsml_gallery_35324_1102_262435.jpg

Since we are, sorta, talking about NanoPEB/CF7+ vs. PEB one of the reasons I haven't gone to the PEB (currently own a flaky CF7+) is I have all my software on my hard drive. I digitized it from tape many years. If there was an easy to way to move all those files to PEB and floppies I would. As far as I know the only way now is with RS232 and I currently don't even own a computer with a serial port. Is there a better way I'm missing?

Since we are, sorta, talking about NanoPEB/CF7+ vs. PEB one of the reasons I haven't gone to the PEB (currently own a flaky CF7+) is I have all my software on my hard drive. I digitized it from tape many years. If there was an easy to way to move all those files to PEB and floppies I would. As far as I know the only way now is with RS232 and I currently don't even own a computer with a serial port. Is there a better way I'm missing?

Yep, sorry to say it, but you are missing out. Do you have a USB port on your PC? If so, there are USB to serial converters, it's what I use for my HDX in my TI's PEB. Like you, I have 100% of my stuff on hard drive (I actually have very little on diskette). When I want to load and run a program, it's actually loaded from the hard drive on my PC which is actually faster than diskette. For example if you had a program called ALPHA on diskette you would type OLD DSK1.ALPHA then type RUN. With the HDX you would type OLD HDX1.ALPHA and then type RUN. It'll take the file off your PC's hard drive and viola, that's it, simple. The only difference is you can also have SUBDIRECTORIES! So, again... JUST RUN THE FILES DIRECTLY FROM THE HARD DRIVE.

Now it you want to copy stuff from PC to TI, that is SUPER EASY TOO! All you do is use DM2K to select the files and then copy them to the disk drive of your choice, it's as easy as if you were copying files from DSK1 to DSK2. Also if you download a disk image from the Internet, you can use DSK2PC to copy the image DIRECTLY to the TI.

With the HDX there is no more messing around with CF cards, -OR- transferring files slowly with some terminal program. So what does this mean to you... no more copy hassles, no more flaky B.S. and most important... no more compatibility issues with programs!

Sorry to come off like a salesman, but I just cannot stress enough how EASY and more ENJOYABLE it is to have a real TI with the HDX modification. I've never looked back.

• Like 1

Sorry to come off like a salesman, but I just cannot stress enough how EASY and more ENJOYABLE it is to have a real TI with the HDX modification. I've never looked back.

Exactly what I need to know. But, is the HDX something that can be done with a normal RS232 card or is it a modification of a RS232 or a card on it's own?