IGNORED

Just bought an Atari XEGS for my collection!

Noah98

I did a Buy it Now on ebay for an Atari XEGS system and I hope I got a good deal. I paid $99 with free shipping and got the following:

System in "Like New" condition complete with Keyboard, light gun, all hookups, and 2 black joysticks.

Also, Archon complete in the box, One on One complete in the box, and the following games (most with instructions): Battlezone, Gato, Thunderfox, Hardball, Fight Night, Rescue on Fractalus, Desert Falcon, Bug Hunt, Flight Simulator, Necromancer, Star Raiders, Centipede, Defender, and Star Trek.

So, did I do o.k., or did I overpay? I could have tried to bid up to the reserve, but I was afraid that I would lose it at the last minute. I've always wanted an Atari computer (my cousin had an XL when we were young) but couldn't really afford one.

Any games I should be looking to pick up for it? I really want Pitfall 2, but it seems to be priced pretty high right now on ebay.

Welcome, and congratulations! The XEGS is a nice little system. I have several of Atari's 8-bit computers, and I'll set more of them up when I have the space, but the XEGS is the one that I find myself using the most these days. I'd say you got it for a reasonable price, especially with such a nice collection of games.

You should definitely consider picking up a MyIDE-II Compact Flash Cartridge from AtariMax. It's so nice to be able to use modern large flash storage with vintage computers, and the MyIDE setup is a nice one to start with because it makes it fairly easy to populate a single inexpensive Compact Flash card with hundreds of disk and cartridge games ... including Pitfall II!

You got a great deal. Nicely done.

My favorite games are One on One, Star Raiders, and Missile Command (with an Atari trak ball in analog mode). Other good ones to look for: Blue Max, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Lode Runner, Ms. Pac Man, and Joust.

Well played. That's a nice starter collection one one one you will like along with hardball. Missile command comes built into the system simply disconnect the keyboard. It's not the cheapest atari system to get games for but I think they have some of the nicest looking games around.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm excited to start up another collection. Are there any other places to get software besides ebay? Thrift stores are terrible where I live, but I know the flea market has a couple random cartridges. I was hoping there might be another online source to purchase games.

The 16 games alone are worth $50 minimum. I've been collecting for years and never even seen Rescue on Fractalus on cartridge. I think it is an excellent bargain.

PS - who has an extra ROF or Desert Falcon to send my way? ;)

Edited by RickR

If you need any carts let me know. Ive been doing a deal for bulk carts on here fora while and I should be getting a delivery of carts in the next week or 2. Let me know

Thanks!

Right now I'm looking for Pitfall 2, Karateka, Frogger 2, River Raid, and Bruce Lee. I'd also like to eventually get Pitfall, Atlantis, Kaboom, Gremlins (is it on cartridge?), Blue Max, Miner 2049er, E.T., and Return of the Jedi.

Edited by Noah98

Thanks!

Right now I'm looking for Pitfall 2, Karateka, Frogger 2, River Raid, and Bruce Lee. I'd also like to eventually get Pitfall, Atlantis, Kaboom, Gremlins (is it on cartridge?), Blue Max, Miner 2049er, E.T., and Return of the Jedi.

Im pretty sure that Gremlins was an Atari Soft title ( in cartridge form for non Atari systems ). Im gonna go on a limb and say that its a diskette title for release with the Atari 8 bit cause Ive never seen it out in cartidge form outside of the 2600 5200. Like stated by another member most of the titles you mention are on the pricer side. However I do believe you can get River raid, Miner 2049er, ROTJ, and Blue Max for under 15.00 ea with some searching. Frogger 2 would be a $15-25 game, Pitfall 2 Is a $30 to $40 on ebay with Karateka being outrageously over priced on ebay right now in the $225 range. As rare and hard to find as it is I dont see it being that expensive. Bruce Lee would be a $20-30 game which If I recall you can still get at Best Electronics.

While your looking for good titles worth playing might I suggest the following few : Pool 400 by IDSI, ( $8 to 15 ) Buck Rogers ($10-15), and QIX ( $5-10)

Good deal on a nice starter setup!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all the games on your A-list (except River Raid) are on the pricey side.

I think I have doubles of Atlantis and Miner 2049er in my collection, if you're interested.

How much would you be willing to sell them for?

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I've been lurking here for years, and finally decided to jump back into the world of Atari. I have lots of Sega and Nintendo stuff, but the 2600 was my first game console.

Right now I want to try to get some of the titles that are unique to the Atari or are the definitive versions of retro games. I have a dedicated mame arcade machine, so I'm not going to pickup any arcade conversions unless they are either really cheap, better than the arcade, or I already have the other games I'm looking for.

What are considered the best games for the system that I don't already have? (excluding arcade games)

Great price on that XEGS. Have fun!

I'd suggest Shamus (by Synapse) for fast-paced shooting action with a labyrinth you have to memorize and Star Raiders for a mix of Space tactics and action. I could never get the hang of Pitfall but that's probably a matter of taste. If you get an IDE card or SIO2SD or SIO2USB you can extend your play to disc-based games. Some of my favourites there would be Jumpman, Jumpman Jr., Lode Runner, Spelunker and Gumball.

XEGSes have been commanding somewhat crazy money on eBay lately. I think you bought VERY well, especially with all the games you got there. I haven't been showing mine much love lately, but it can be both fun and frustrating to collect for. I have almost zero expectation to find any software in the wild (I did buy a tatty looking copy of Robotron 2084 for $1.50 in Phoenix, but the rom is loose and I haven't bothered to figure out how to fix it), so eBay is the likely the better place to look. But stuff tends to be for crazy money -- I see the same sellers list, and relist the same stuff over and over again. But patience is rewarded because every now and then some amazing deals pop up (and I kick myself every time I don't pull the trigger). I got really lucky one time on a shopgoodwill auction and got Froggger II with 4-5 other more common A8 carts for $30ish with shipping. Frogger II is one I would highly recommend, really cool game and plays very well on the XEGS.

• Like 1

XEGSes have been commanding somewhat crazy money on eBay lately. I think you bought VERY well, especially with all the games you got there. I haven't been showing mine much love lately, but it can be both fun and frustrating to collect for. I have almost zero expectation to find any software in the wild (I did buy a tatty looking copy of Robotron 2084 for $1.50 in Phoenix, but the rom is loose and I haven't bothered to figure out how to fix it), so eBay is the likely the better place to look. But stuff tends to be for crazy money -- I see the same sellers list, and relist the same stuff over and over again. But patience is rewarded because every now and then some amazing deals pop up (and I kick myself every time I don't pull the trigger). I got really lucky one time on a shopgoodwill auction and got Froggger II with 4-5 other more common A8 carts for $30ish with shipping. Frogger II is one I would highly recommend, really cool game and plays very well on the XEGS.

I've been saying that too. Hard to find any A8 in the wild and eBay sellers feel they have gold. But If you look and hunt you will find games at good prices. After watch Mario bros listed for 50-90$ I scored one for 35. I think 30 is about right on a Mario title but its better than paying that much more.

Also what are you collect for a full set or just some good playing titles. Good playing titles can be done hunting a little and checking in with Craigslist and ebay along with members of this board. A full set..... Be ready for a life time challenge Craigslist and atari age will be your best friends over eBay.

On eBay don't be afraid to email those sellers who just repost games to just show off ( and if one sells for crazy money all the more power ). You might get a great price on that item or something that might not have been listed yet. Ask you will know don't ask and live wondering.

334 US cart title set is challenging to say the least and would be impressive if anyone can complete that set.

Makes me wonder does anyone have a complete a8 set. If not who's close to a full cart set ( boxed games behind )

Thats how it starts... Before you know it you got more games than you expected cause you want to try em, or they were a steal ( or free ) or something you originally wanted to resell for profit. Thats what im going to try to do for the SNES get what i like and go from there. But im sure some non favorites will work their way into the collection. I dont think any of us really has the available cash flow to really go after most everything. even on the same system

334 US cart title set is challenging to say the least and would be impressive if anyone can complete that set.

Makes me wonder does anyone have a complete a8 set. If not who's close to a full cart set ( boxed games behind )

Challenging, very much so... I have 212 individuals including case & label variants, but still have 160 on my *Still to Buy* list :)

Looks like 50 of those are still going between $5 to $100, but after that, they'll beyond my reach unless I find some more awesome deals where a seller lists one for under $20 in a Buy-It-Now ;)

@Noah98, that was a good deal on you XEGS! What kind of power adapter did you get with that?

Compare yours to what's in this post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/95416-power-supplies/?do=findComment&comment=1157349

I was lucky to get two Xegs's 2 years ago for $42 (auction) & $24 (BIN) complete. In the past 2 months A8 systems are going for $100+...

Can someone tell me if Bruce Lee was a prototype only cartridge?

Yes. Best Electronics sells repro carts but that's about it.

Im pretty sure that Gremlins was an Atari Soft title ( in cartridge form for non Atari systems ). Im gonna go on a limb and say that its a diskette title for release with the Atari 8 bit cause Ive never seen it out in cartidge form outside of the 2600 5200.

Gremlins wasn't even released on the A8.

Edited by ApolloBoy