IGNORED

Desert Island Atari

Ok - your stranded on a desert island with your atari and 6 games to keep you sane and pass the time until rescue.....(which is around 6 weeks away!)

Which model and which six games? Exotic mods allowed to allow the games but no emulation or compilations or ultilities (basic, assembler or language progs - you know what i mean! (carts,disk and cass games can be used)

Think carefully as nostalgia may get boring quickly!

I start with:

Atari 800 (with incognito)

Drop zone

Kennedy approach

Decision in the desert

Jinxter

Great American Road race

Eastern front (1941)

what would keep you sane??

First, I want a shack with solar or wind turbine power.

Atari 800XL and two floppy drives and Amdek 14 inch monitor. Wico Competition Pro joystick.

Infocom Zork I, Zork II and Zork III (and a broom to keep sand out of the 1050s)

Montezuma's Revenge on disk

Alternate Reality: The City, on floppy disks

Pac-Man on cartridge

p.s. I'm not sane now...six weeks on a desert island and the above items might be a cure.

Ultima III

Mr. Do

Pac-Man (the redone version from a couple of years back)

Keystone Kapers

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Return of Heracles.

Don't care which machine comes with me as long as it lasts the six weeks in the sun and sand.

• Like 1

800 with Incognito... the games can be on the CF card, so I won't have to worry about sand in the floppies.

Suncom TAC-2 joystick. And a proper CRT display... either a 1702 or a nice 20" Sony TV.

My picks for games:

Millipede - Simply incredible shooter. Intense and challenging, but not overly difficult. I always want another go at it.

I'm all about puzzlers, my favorite recent ones are Dr. Mario, Marbled and Swapz.

Lode Runner - I can spend hours on this, especially if I'm allowed to create my own levels.

A text adventure would be an excellent way to pass the time... I'll pick Planetfall.

Edited by adam242

800 with Incognito... the games can be on the CF card, so I won't have to worry about sand in the floppies.

Suncom TAC-2 joystick. And a proper CRT display... either a 1702 or a nice 20" Sony TV.

My picks for games:

Millipede - Simply incredible shooter. Intense and challenging, but not overly difficult. I always want another go at it.

I'm all about puzzlers, my favorite recent ones are Dr. Mario, Marbled and Swapz.

Lode Runner - I can spend hours on this, especially if I'm allowed to create my own levels.

A text adventure would be an excellent way to pass the time... I'll pick Planetfall.

A text adventure i see as unavoidable as keeps the grey cells going. - Ive completed Jinxter but its all about escapism after all!

800 with Incognito (seems to be the standard by now ;-)

Suncom TAC-2 (everything else being too slow for Shamus ;-)

Shamus

Spelunker

Ultima sounds good, never had any of them as a kid but should be large enough to keep me entertained for quite some time

Odesta Chess

Jumpman

Suspended

runners-up:

Gumball

any other Infocom titles I haven't finished yet, maybe one of the murder myteries

I would be OK with an expanded 600XL or stock 800XL plus Competition Pro joystick.

These titles I'd have as original carts or make as an AtariMax compilation / homebrew.

Rainbow Walker (Synapse)

International Karate (System 3)

Hardball! (Accolade - cart from Atari)

Encounter! (Novogen / Synapse)

Silent Service (MicroProse)

Zybex (Zeppelin)

(Adventure wise, I'd probably break the rules by sneaking along my Brian Howarth Mysterious Adventures compilation cart)

Ok - your stranded on a desert island with your atari and 6 games to keep you sane and pass the time until rescue.....(which is around 6 weeks away!)

Which model and which six games? Exotic mods allowed to allow the games but no emulation or compilations or ultilities (basic, assembler or language progs - you know what i mean! (carts,disk and cass games can be used)

Think carefully as nostalgia may get boring quickly!

what would keep you sane??

You restricted me to an Atari and 6 games. Oh, and just six weeks. (Good to know I will be rescued)

You didn't limit anything else.

power generator with sufficient fuel, 800XL with dual NTSC and PAL Antics, U1MB, dual Pokeys. my scan converter which allegedly supports NTSC and PAL. I'll take the biggest, badass VGA CRT. Scan converter is OK because I don't care about trick video modes on my desert excursion and it gets me a bigger monitor

Here are my "accessories":

- Every joystick ever made. I have plenty of time to test which ones I like

- paddles

- mouse

- trak-ball

- fully stocked kegerator. Make that six. I think one for each week is enough. (Yes, these are accessories)

- and finally a pallet full of honey roasted nuts just happened to fall off the boat.

Here are my games (includes the hardware appropriate to load them, cart, disk)

Finally I get to play a couple PAL games on real hardware!

- Crownland

- Yie Ar Kung Fu (not sure this was completed but it doesn't matter, whatever state it's in)

One strategy game. I have time.

- His Dark Majesty (This doen't have mouse support but in my fantasy it does).

The rest are action games. Chosen because I enjoy them for long play or just quick action and I never get tired of them.

- Super Breakout. If this is considered a compilation then have it stuck on Progressive.

- Missile Command+ (Mouse for normal play. Trak-ball so it doesn't feel like cheating in smart bomb mode)

- Parker Bros Frogger

Edited by a8isa1

I have to agree... glad to see "800 with Incogneto" becoming more sought after. Five years ago you couldn't get anyone to really look much at a beige 800. Glad to see the 800 is almost a preference now. :)

That said, I don't have the incogneto installed on the 800 yet (hope to change that this week), but that would probably be a way to go.

Ummm... so I got hurriedly moved to an island RIGHT NOW and I had to quickly grab my existing Atari setup...

Atari 800 (unmodified)

Atari 810 Drive, speedier module, modem (monitor), joysticks.

Might be able to find my SIO2SD, though not sure what is currently on it. (barely use it.)

Cartridges -Blue Max, Star Raiders, Joust, Wizard of Wor, Archon, Basic.

What I don't have (which is getting me thinking I need to work on)

Some kind of ham radio setup or moble transmitter-receiver, along with obvious power generator.

For me the Atari computer was mostly about communication, so if there was any way I could communicate with BBSs over packet radio (something I have heard about but never tried) or some other long distance communication, I would be all over that. People in more remote parts of the world (Africa etc) have used this.

The rest of the games I like are few, but I love the heck out them. :D

Interesting question...

...Assuming that humidity + heat would not be of concern, I would certainly consider my Incognito-800 (with only storage device being its internal CF-card), and Yoomp, latest "Arcade Pacman", Eastern Front, Dark Majesty, Robbo & The Chess-Master 2000.

FYI, I would recommend everyone a good pair of googles, fishing hook/gear and a knife, which is where most of your time will be spent with, anyway.