IGNORED

Vectrex?

mkiker2089

Here's my story. I have a few NES and 2600 games. I've been content with that. I never even knew something like the Vectrex existed until a few months ago. I only discovered it because someone sent me a link to a Wii U review that CGR did where he compared it to a Vectrex. Since then I've been eyeing them. I don't really feel confident getting into a new and more expensive hobby but just for information I wanted to know what to consider. Is it hard to get them with working controllers? Does anyone still make a Genesis controller mod for it? What about the games, I've seen that prices vary greatly from CIB for 10 bucks all the way up to 100 or more. I'd want the overlays and carts but don't really need manuals or boxes except that's probably the best way to get the overlays.

Any words of caution?

I don't think the controllers are known for being fussy, they are expensive because people want a second one for two player games and they are in short supply. If affordability is an issue and you just want to be able to play the games, Multi-carts can be had for less than fifty bucks with a little bit of snooping. There was a guy making reproduction overlays on this forum a while back, I'm sure someone can point you in his direction.

The real trick is finding a good, dependable system. Some of them are touchy, and I would personally want to see the system before i bought it. This can be tough, since the odds of finding one "in the wild" or even at a local store are slim. This points you towards the ebay option, witch will run you around 150-200 depending on the stuff with it and shipping costs. Don't skimp on shipping, one good drop would probably kill a system.

All that aside, Vectrex is a nifty one of a kind system with a killer homebrew scene. If you decide to do it, you will be happy.

• Like 3

Any words of caution?

If the serial number ends in A, stay away. Just personal experience says that Made in Taiwan are sold "as is for parts" and Made in Hong Kong holds up longer.

Vectrex is great, but when they go bad - well, it seems there are many different causes.

My original Made in Hong Kong bought at the great "videogames crash" still works great.

My backup is a Canadian "Made in Hong Kong" model that doesn't have "GCE Entertaining New Ideas" at the startup screen. Works perfectly.

A 3rd one I bought (long story) "Hong Kong" looks hardly used, but just started the "turn on, white dot" problem. After a short warm up it is fine.

I bought a broken "Made in Taiwan" model and fixed it. Replaced all capacitors, but it was an IC on the power board. The irritating thing is sometimes it runs perfect as new, and other times the vectors don't line up at all!

I bought a 5th one "as is for parts" that worked perfect when it arrived, but after cleaning decided to not work.

Nobody can pinpoint a problem.

I have read fixes involving the connecting cable between the 2 circuit boards (pretty sure that is my 5th unit's problem), a chip on the Computer board (can't remember if CPU or I/O), the sound chip on the computer board, my IC chip fix on the power board, reseating a small IC chip on the computer board, the on off volume knob. I would't say they are cheaply made, but poorly designed with multiple points causing failure (if they fail / when they fail).

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, just ask!

Here's my story. I have a few NES and 2600 games. I've been content with that. I never even knew something like the Vectrex existed until a few months ago. I only discovered it because someone sent me a link to a Wii U review that CGR did where he compared it to a Vectrex. Since then I've been eyeing them. I don't really feel confident getting into a new and more expensive hobby but just for information I wanted to know what to consider. Is it hard to get them with working controllers? Does anyone still make a Genesis controller mod for it? What about the games, I've seen that prices vary greatly from CIB for 10 bucks all the way up to 100 or more. I'd want the overlays and carts but don't really need manuals or boxes except that's probably the best way to get the overlays.

Any words of caution?

For genesis controllers/arcade stick mods I reccomend recycled gamer. I bought two arcade sticks from him, and am very happy with them.

http://recycledgamer.myshopify.com/

If the controller has a loose stick, most likely cause is a broken spring. This can be fixed using a cut down spring fromma springloaded a2600 cart.

Using a hairdryer to soften the glue that hold the sticker on the controller, so it can be removed without damaging.

Edited by Seob

mkiker, if you are interested in Vectrex, which it looks like you are, I think you absolutely have to get one. It is a completely awesome console without rival for what it does.

If money is a concern you do have to be patient and careful. I spent over $2,000 on Vectrex loot in 2012, but it had become an obsession for me. You can get a good start for about $300.

Now may not be the best time to buy. It looks like ebay is more competitive right now than it was in the winter. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or if there is a spike in Vectrex interest. ... When I was buying, my goal was to pay $100 for working consoles in fair condition. In order to get close to that goal I had to watch a lot of auctions and usually buy a larger lot with games, for which others were priced out I guess. ... Right now $200 looks like an average price for working console on ebay.

In my experience, the number one thing that you need to verify before buying a "working" Vectrex console, is the screen alignment. Many Vectrexes, perhaps even MOST of them, are off center. A small amount off center is acceptable, but I have seen ones where it is DRAMATICALLY off center, to the point of being unplayable.

... As already mentioned, the Vectrex homebrew scene is amazing. However, it looks like there are some changes coming as classicgamecreations.com has announced they will shut down in December. This is John Dondzila's site, and the best and biggest source for CHEAP Vectrex homebrews. YOU SHOULD TRY TO BUY PROTECTOR AND GRAVITREX AS SOON AS YOU CAN, even if you don't have a Vectrex yet.

Most Vectrex homebrews are sold directly by their authors and I only know of one other site besides CGC that sells a variety, (Good Deal Games), and their selection is not nearly as big as CGC.

Any thoughts on this one? http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FVectrex-Black-Console-with-13-games-%2F321168080517%3F

I wrote to the seller for more info about the controller. I think what I'm going to do for a few weeks is put a few low bids in and just see if I get one by chance.

I also found http://kristofsnewvectrexgames.comli.com/ for some cool games. I like his Vector Pilot work.

It looks like a decent lot, however the seller has no feedback. Personally, I'm not a fan of buying a system that I A) have to ship and B) have not played. I think its better to get the system locally (even if you have to drive a little) and then pick up any games you might need.

Any thoughts on this one? http://rover.ebay.co...-/321168080517?

I wrote to the seller for more info about the controller. I think what I'm going to do for a few weeks is put a few low bids in and just see if I get one by chance.

I also found http://kristofsnewve...ames.comli.com/ for some cool games. I like his Vector Pilot work.

Most games come complete in box so i would guess that the games alone are worth about the 150 dollar that is the current bid.

So it looks to me it is priced decent now. But if a bidding war is getting started it could get a very expansive system.

Edited by Seob

I've found instructions on how to make overlays as well as a few sources of reproduction overlays. That takes me back to my original thought of collecting cart only like I do with other systems.

I notice homebrews from GDG and CGR don't have overlays at all. I realize the overlay often adds little but I'm surprised by that ommision.

Any thoughts on this one? http://rover.ebay.co...-/321168080517?

That photo makes it seem as though the boxes aren't included. Manuals aren't shown, and neither are the plastic trays. Without them, the common games are worth about $12 apiece. Webwars has been commanding more over the past year. Considering that shipping is $25, I'd say that a winning bid of $200 or so is a fair deal. Manuals and better seller feedback would make be bid as high as $225 if you really want it.

The lot will probably go for much more than 200. Though personally, I'd just wait for someone with a better reputation. I'm a patient guy and will wait for the right deal.

Some game designers want to keep costs for the buyer down. Its expensive to make overlays and they have to pass that on to the buyer.

I believe one problem with the Vectrex, desipite the "cool" factor being extremely high, it is just too unreliable. There are too many components that can go wrong. Honestly, while I would love to own one, atm it just doesn't seem feasible. I've got too many consoles and not enough room as it is. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means though. I see the overlays and I'm like meh. They are only transparencies, and while nice to have, seeing that the screen is simply black and white tech, the color overlays are a gimmick imo. I'd rather just play them au-naturel. ;)

I just hope somebody can come up with a decent emulation of them. Maybe Kevtris's upcoming FPGA console will work (if he ever finishes it).

I've never dealt with emulators. IfI play a game on my computer then it's a computer game no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise. I could play a vector based game but it wouldn't be anything near owning a Vectrex.

As for the auction, my understanding is that the games are boxed since it looks like boxes are under the overlays. If not no big deal. I probably won't win anyhow. I'm going to try a few auctions for 6 months or so with low ball offers and see what happens. The fall is a better time for me to buy anyway.

Once you own a Vectrex, you'll know how special it is. It has a rather small footprint, but you'll need the vertical space for one, about as much as a 13" TV. Believe me, if you're short on space, you'll make room for it. I've found it as reliable as other pre-Crash consoles (I've owned six Vectrexes), although they were all working when I acquired them.

Sega joysticks do not work unless they are modded. I have a SNES controller modified by RecycledGamer. There are only two games that require an analog controller. A modded arcade stick will be my next addition to my collection.

The Vectrex is an awesome show piece. Whenever I give a tour of the basement, that's what gets the oohs and ahhs. Few appreciate the Channel F, or the Turbo Duo, or the Voodoo II SLI setup. But the Vectrex gets them every time. And it's a small unit, the sise of a classic mac. Even if you don't play it much, it's worth it to show people something they will think is neat.

I believe one problem with the Vectrex, desipite the "cool" factor being extremely high, it is just too unreliable. There are too many components that can go wrong. Honestly, while I would love to own one, atm it just doesn't seem feasible. I've got too many consoles and not enough room as it is. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means though. I see the overlays and I'm like meh. They are only transparencies, and while nice to have, seeing that the screen is simply black and white tech, the color overlays are a gimmick imo. I'd rather just play them au-naturel. ;)

I just hope somebody can come up with a decent emulation of them. Maybe Kevtris's upcoming FPGA console will work (if he ever finishes it).

Uh, no. The Atari 5200 is unreliable in terms of its controllers, right? The Vectrex has been fine for me (I own more than one), the consoles and controllers hold up fine. "Au-naturel" for the Vectrex means the overlays. I've played my games without the overlays when I'm lazy but the games are meant to have the faux color on top. Now, to be fair, about half the games don't "need" the color, it's just some gradient that spices up the look. But some games need the overlays. If you're serious about "au-naturel" then I would expect that you would often play Atari 2600 games set to B&W and you would own arcade versions of Star Castle and Battlezone, for example, without their overlays since they're really just B&W games.

A decent emulation would require a vector monitor. Anything less isn't decent. I wonder why no one has made a kit to play Vectrex games through an Asteroids or (for even more authenticity) a Cinematronics cab like Star Castle or Tail Gunner. That would be the coolest set up ever. A board for the Vectrex, a custom control panel with 2 analog sticks, 8 buttons and a cartridge slot.