IGNORED

Vectrex?

mkiker2089

People don't like to give up their controllers because they are so scarce. You don't really need a second one unless you want to play two player games. Even then, you could buy one of those Y cable splitters that allows two players to share one controller (all pins need to be wired, however).

Loose controllers do show up on eBay every once in awhile. Loose go for $60 or so in good condition, while boxed go for over $100.

Vectrex owners are lucky to have had so many different items and mods made for controllers but unfortunately almost everyone of those items is either no longer made or made in someones spare time. The instructions for making them are out there, just most are not for the novice. I will say that the 2600 Paddle is about as simple a mod as you can get. That is analog but only good for certain games.

I'm now debating on SNES or Sega controller. The Sega mod would be easier but I still don't think I want to be the one to do it. Recycled Gamer is still to busy to respond to emails and PMs so I'll wait a while. I know the game show has a lot of people scrambling now.

I don't know how anyone can say Vectrex controllers are unreliable. Well given their age this might be true now, but in principle it's built like a tank.

How do I know? Well I spent five years of my childhood playing Vectrex daily... it received some rought treatment and never had a single problem with the controller. It's very well built.

It's a great, great machine. ATARI really screwed up a HUGE opportunity to cash in with a similar console. Nothing wrong with the Cinematronics games though... but just imagine how much ATARI-licensed vector system would have sold.

I don't know how anyone can say Vectrex controllers are unreliable. Well given their age this might be true now, but in principle it's built like a tank.

How do I know? Well I spent five years of my childhood playing Vectrex daily... it received some rought treatment and never had a single problem with the controller. It's very well built.

It's a great, great machine. ATARI really screwed up a HUGE opportunity to cash in with a similar console. Nothing wrong with the Cinematronics games though... but just imagine how much ATARI-licensed vector system would have sold.

I know! They certainly could have made a color vector system of their own with a slightly bigger screen and they certainly had experience with various controllers and custom chips. At the least, they could have released games for the Vectrex. Can you imagine official Atari games on that thing? I don't understand why they didn't release Asteroids and Lunar Lander at the least, or any other B&W games. Battlezone with a green/red overlay would be a no-brainer, same with Red Baron and Asteroids Deluxe with single color overlays. Dammit, if the Crash had waited a couple years maybe that could have happened. And then also games like Missile Command, Super Breakout, Sprint, Atari Football, it could have been the greatest time for the Vectrex and Atari.

• Like 1

Yeah... and the only NAMCO/Atari-based game released on Vectrex was Pole Position. It's ok... but probably the LEAST suitable game to a vector monitor. :D

They also ruined their chance to make money from the arcade classics on PC. The emulation came years before they released their Anniversary Editions... just 10 years too late. All different incarnations of ATARI have made some unforgivable business mistakes.

Edited by Kombalar