IGNORED

Vectrex?

mkiker2089

I believe one problem with the Vectrex, desipite the "cool" factor being extremely high, it is just too unreliable. There are too many components that can go wrong. Honestly, while I would love to own one, atm it just doesn't seem feasible. I've got too many consoles and not enough room as it is. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means though. I see the overlays and I'm like meh. They are only transparencies, and while nice to have, seeing that the screen is simply black and white tech, the color overlays are a gimmick imo. I'd rather just play them au-naturel. ;)

I just hope somebody can come up with a decent emulation of them. Maybe Kevtris's upcoming FPGA console will work (if he ever finishes it).

im not sure if you have much experience with vectrex, but some of what you said isn't true. it is reliable because its really well built, and most issues with the vectrex can be fixed. and i think the reason the overlays were invented was to keep the people complaining about color quiet ;) and btw a GREAT emulator exists, called paraJVE. i would highly recommend it, although i would recommend the real thing even more :P
  • Like 1

I've always wanted one, after playing em through the years. If I could find a decent Asteroids clone and a way to reduce that capacitor hum, I'd pay good money for one. Since I'm wishing: two joysticks, mint cabinet, multicart with repro overlays for all the games. That would make me happy!

What about Rockaroids?

And don't get too dependent on the fact that reproduction overlays are OFFERED, as its been almost 2 months and I haven't received anything from vectrexoverlays.com. I thought I'd give the guy a shot but I'm thinking its just easier to make my own especially since I can design the overlays myself.

im not sure if you have much experience with vectrex, but some of what you said isn't true. it is reliable because its really well built, and most issues with the vectrex can be fixed. and i think the reason the overlays were invented was to keep the people complaining about color quiet ;) and btw a GREAT emulator exists, called paraJVE. i would highly recommend it, although i would recommend the real thing even more :P

That's the emulator that John Dondzila recommends on his CGC site. I'd try it, but no need. :)

Printing overlays shouldn't be too hard. I have a good inkjet printer than is rated for disc covers and slick media.

I've decided that if my low offer doesn't go with the ebay auction I posted that I'm going to wait until the holiday season. Prices are usually lower then and in enough time one may show up locally.

Printing overlays shouldn't be too hard. I have a good inkjet printer than is rated for disc covers and slick media.

I've decided that if my low offer doesn't go with the ebay auction I posted that I'm going to wait until the holiday season. Prices are usually lower then and in enough time one may show up locally.

Printing isn't the problem. But if you gone do it right you have to mask certain areas of the overlay to prevent light shining trough.

And that can be hard. Tried it but didn't get nice clean lines.

I've always wanted one, after playing em through the years. If I could find a decent Asteroids clone and a way to reduce that capacitor hum, I'd pay good money for one. Since I'm wishing: two joysticks, mint cabinet, multicart with repro overlays for all the games. That would make me happy!

This kit from Console5 might help. They also have a cap kit for the Vectrex. As for Asteroids, Norbert Kehrer seems to have coded up a real emulator using the arcade game's actual code. Currently for the Atari 800XL and Commodore 64, he says a Vectrex version is on the way. Hot damn!!

• Like 1

i got my Vectrex just posting on Craigslist, WTB Vectrex and put in $100, took a while but I got a good working one with an extra controller for $100.

I got 3 boxed games, unfortunately without overlays for $15 a piece at a flea market too, so good stuff can be found in the wild, it's just a long hunt when it comes to Vectrex.

Edited by BrutallyHonestGamer

Here you go. Fair price BIN with free shipping. Tested and working. Seller with more than zero feedback.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1510890212681?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=151089021268&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

And it's mine. Now I have to decide if I'm going to try and hunt down the games or just get a mutli-cart. For this I'm thinking multi-cart even though for NES and Atari I've avoided that. Then I have to start looking at homebrews, but that's for the winter when money frees up.

• Like 1

And it's mine. Now I have to decide if I'm going to try and hunt down the games or just get a mutli-cart. For this I'm thinking multi-cart even though for NES and Atari I've avoided that. Then I have to start looking at homebrews, but that's for the winter when money frees up.

Is Andrew Coleman's Mulit-Cart still available? I've been thinking about getting it myself.

http://www.retrotowers.co.uk/vectrex-72-game-multicart

http://vectrex.playntradeonline.com/shop.html

Or just wait until Richard Hutchingson offers his VecMulti with the downloadable Flash SD card so you can put any rom available on it.

If you really get into Vectrex, you'll want to do both. My advice is to buy one boxed game and see how well you fancy the overlay. I love them because they remind me of the art on the glass of arcade machines. If you can live without it, go for the multi.

I still haven't had any luck tracking down a second controller. I wanted an analog one so if I do get Hyperchase I can use it. Fury sells a steering wheel controller but that's not what I want either. I like the PS1 sticks recycled gamer offers but he still isn't answering emails. I don't understand why those aren't analog. The PS1 supported full analog so why are their sticks digital?

I've considered trying to make my own overlays or waiting until I have a multi-cart and ordering a batch from vectrexoverlays since shipping is the same for one or for one hundred. there's a minestore overlay but with shipping and bids it would be near 15 by the time it's done (assuming the current bidder puts up a fight.)