IGNORED

Xbox with mod chip?

Mock

Just curious if any of you guys are running an Xbox with a mod chip?

I have seen one run and it's pretty awesome....load a 120G hard drive up with all your fav games and you can take 80 - 100 of them anywhere you go in one small box. Load time is much faster reading from the HD.

There are also a ton of good proggy's you can run on it...media players...a version of MAME...nothing like playing Galaxian on an Xbox...lmao.

The game base is not that great, but look at the GC...for months you didn't have jack squat...then all of the sudden the market opens up...and it looks like the Xbox titles are slowly starting to come along.

The biggest argument besides the lack of games that i hear is the controler...most of the games have a good tutorial so even us 30 something 1 stick and 1 button guys can learn slowly.

I kinda like it....

I have seen the Xbox hater posts here...so I don't figure many of you have one?

Mock :D

no, i don`t have one. But i was thinking about getting one after i heard you can emulate SNES and N64 on it. But then i heard you had to mod it.

Ohh, well that counts that out.

a friend of mine brought his x-box over sunday evening. I played Bulder's Gate, Mech Assualt, and the heavenly Halo.

Halo is the only one that i liked really, BG was just a slightly deeper version of gauntlet it seemed. And Mech Assualt bugged me, due to the button placement, you can't fire AND aim at the same time, since you aim with the right stick, and use the face buttons to fire. Making fighting other mechs near impossible. Maybe i just used a bad controller setup or somehting.

back on topic a little. No i haven`t seen any X-Boxes with mod chips either. I heard that Micro$oft was planning on using X-Box Live to scan for people with modded consoles.

They even almost pulled out of the Australian market due to the amount of pirating and modding over there as well

Yep...Xbox Live is out of the question with a mod box. There are 2 other services that offer online for the xbox though...xboxconnect and gamespy both have support for mod boxes and they support games like Halo, which Xbox live doesn't even support.

Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon are both great games as well as Halo.

Once you get the mod chip in and swap out the hard drive you can do just about anything with the Xbox, they just put out a GBA Emu also...combine that with the other emu stuff that is already out and it's a pretty neat little package. I think if I can pick up a used Xbox I might set up a mod box just to run the emu stuff on...the chips are under $50 and they have new chips that just bolt on, no need to solder...so you could pull it if you wanted to at a later date.

Mock

whos talking about pirate software? Putting a mod chip in an xbox opens it up to a lot of legit features...no need to jump my case over just talking about what it can do is there? Have you even looked into what it can do or you just assume that it is for pirate software? Whatever the case...sorry if I pissed you off...I'll stick to just talking about 2600 stuff and won't poke my head out of the corner again.

Mock :sad:

load a 120G hard drive up with all your fav games and you can take 80 - 100 of them anywhere you go in one small box. Load time is much faster reading from the HD.

What exactly does that mean then ? :roll:

I know precisely what you can do with a modchip on every system, I make games for a living. :twisted:

well it means exactly what it says...if you put a 120g drive in it you can load up 60 or so games on it and not have to carry the discs around with you?

I know what you are trying to get at, but that's not what I was trying to get at.

You write games, I manage a band that writes music...both digital media...both easily copied...if people steal it...you don't get paid...which means you wont make a living doing games and write more..same thing with music...not trying to support piracy at all.

I sent you a PM...like I said..sorry if I pissed you off.

Mock

Hey WIZ, not that I want to get into the mod chip frey here but a better argument against mod chip discussions is that they are ILLEGAL in the U.S. and Canada. So while software piracy "may not" (hint...hint...) be involved, other laws are being broken.

So flame away all........

Just remember how piracy helped destroy the Atari/Commodore 8 bit market before you take my head off.

Jerry

Hey WIZ, not that I want to get into the mod chip frey here but a better argument against mod chip discussions is that they are ILLEGAL in the U.S. and Canada. So while software piracy "may not" (hint...hint...) be involved, other laws are being broken.

So flame away all........

Just remember how piracy helped destroy the Atari/Commodore 8 bit market before you take my head off.

Jerry

You are definately barking up the wrong tree, I have U.S. and Japanese versions of many console types. :ponder:

Feel free to send me a PS2 test station though so I can run WIP discs from work. :D :P

I don't even want to get into a legal discussion on mod chips so I'll say this and be done with this thread....

Oh and BTW I have been pm'ing wiz back and forth and he's a really nice guy, so don't read anything overly negative in anything we have posted here...there is not "problem" as far as i know.

With all the programmers in this place, trying to "defend" a mod chip is like trying to explain paganism to a bunch of baptists...but...if I buy my xbox I will do whatever I want to with it, and if I choose to run linux on it and that requires a mod chip to do...legal or not, I really don't care I'm going to do it. I don't pirate games and I don't try to act like a virgin on prom night and say others won't use a mod chip to do that...but to say it's not legal to be able to modify something you own is wrong. If I want to smash it with a hammer it's my money and my option to do so...same thing with a mod chip...if I want to make it do something it's not designed to do...I'll do it.

The thing is, all of the sudden when they get outdated and new systems arise, well...it's socially 'ok' to "preserve the games" or whatever excuse you want to make to talk about and run EMU's....what's the difference in now vs. 5 years from now when they are no longer making games for a particular system? Money - people want to get paid for what they do...everyone does...but to say it's not ok to mod something so you can do other stuff with it because people might copy games is like saying we might as well not sell anyone a gun because someone will probably shoot another person.

I buy whatever I play if at all possible...on some stuff...that's not possible...but I'm more of a collector than the majority of people, so I like to have all the original stuff that goes with a game.

Mock

You are definately barking up the wrong tree, I have U.S. and Japanese versions of many console types.  :ponder:  

Feel free to send me a PS2 test station though so I can run WIP discs from work.  :D  :P

You should have plenty of debug consoles :)

BTW: My comments regarding "taking my head off" and such were for others. I must assume you like that paycheck that pays the rent or mortgage, like me!

CYA next week at GDC maybe.

Jerry

DMCA is way over the top IMHO...strips away consumer rights to try and wrestle with a legit problem...but, I'd rather see it done in a better way that still allows people to legally do things that should be legal. If that makes any sense.

I visit www.eff.org all of the time and read up on the frontlines of the DMCA battle...I don't believe that the mere posession of something in itself should be a crime when it comes to consumer electronics. Just my belief.

Mock

I visit www.eff.org all of the time and read up on the frontlines of the DMCA battle...I don't believe that the mere posession of something in itself should be a crime when it comes to consumer electronics. Just my belief.

Mock

I can't believe I'm actually siding with the gun nuts on this one, but I agree that it would be liking making the posession of a firearm illegal even if you had never shot anyone with it.

can you buy an Action Replay for the Xbox yet :)

It always seems to do the same thing as a modchip on

most systems but is compleatly legal :? :twisted:

What do you care, don't you live in Australia or something ? :D

Jerry, check again. :ponder:

Why do we all of a sudden have a reputation like Honk Kong :P

I don't like mods is all. would just rather a better solution :)

(not that I'll own a Xbox anytime soon though...)

Actually...with the DMCA written as it is, it is more likely than not illegal to own one since it is written to state that posession of an item who's likely purpose is to circumvent a digital encryption or so on is a crime in and of itself...blah blah blah...so on and so forth...it's a friggin peice of work (DMCA that is) it really needs to be re-written with better language.

Mock