IGNORED

Xbox with mod chip?

Mock

Actually...with the DMCA written as it is, it is more likely than not illegal to own one since it is written to state that  posession of an item who's likely purpose is to circumvent a digital encryption or so on is a crime in and of itself...blah blah blah...so on and so forth...it's a friggin peice of work (DMCA that is) it really needs to be re-written with better language.

Mock

It needs to be overturned as unconstitutional, IMHO.

Well...speak of the Devil...isonews.com now belongs to the feds because the owner sold xbox mod chips? Seems a little harsh this guy could get 5 years in the slammer for selling mod chips.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/02/2...reut/index.html

Mock

First off "he faces" a maximum penalty of 5 years, I doubt that will be the case here as it sounds like he cut a deal. This was WAY beyond a simple mod chip case. ISONEWS was in fact a matching server for game images and nothing more than an international front for piracy. I would not be surprised if the damages from this well known site was in the 10-100 million range to the industry.

A thief was brought to justice pure and simple.........

Jerry

wow- I have never heard of that site before this showed up on CNN...funny thing that got me is that it says they busted him for selling Mod Chips, not any kind of downloads or what have you of movies/games...so that's why I posted the link to the story...and the fact we were just talking about this yesterday.

Mock

wow- I have never heard of that site before this showed up on CNN...funny thing that got me is that it says they busted him for selling Mod Chips, not any kind of downloads or what have you of movies/games...so that's why I posted the link to the story...and the fact we were just talking about this yesterday.

Mock

They weren't "hosting" the downloads, only posting links to public FTP's

that had been tagged or were actually hosting that sort of stuff.

Perfectly legal, although it is still easier to use a FTP indexer, but some

people like a BBS atmosphere (makes em' feel all "old school" ;) )

Anyway, with the Xbox you can play your games straight from the hard drive

can't you. Kind of negates the whole "backup" excuse dosen't it :lol:

Anyway, with the Xbox you can play your games straight from the hard drive can't you. Kind of negates the whole "backup" excuse dosen't it

What do you mean? I think if I own 50 or 60 games and want to put them on a hard drive, I should be able to do it...you don't? You need a mod chip to do it.

I don't have one myself, but if I can pick up a cheap used Xbox, I am thinking of putting MAME on there...20G hard drive should be fine and it would be pretty cool to have a MAME console system...most people into the old games are running the same set up on their PC already.