IGNORED

Tales from ELEKTRONITE Labs: Ms Pac Man & Galaga

vprette

I think the lesson here is that we must rely on the community rather than the corporations who have squandered our childhood dreams. We should keep improving the tools to make games. We should makes games that pay homage - but not royalties - to big brand names. Support anyone who makes things like BASIC compilers so we can grow our homebrewer base.

• Like 4

Sad to read what was planned and failed, some awesome games which never will be released for the Intellivision :( But I hope that these threads are just teasers for something big, something really big which will be released :P

this for sure... one big hit is on the way... but we have to be patient.. Elektronite focus is now on Hover Bovver

• Like 2

this for sure... one big hit is on the way... but we have to be patient.. Elektronite focus is now on Hover Bovver

So GTA V is coming to the Intellivision! :D Serious, I am very excited whats the next big license you bring us. But I agree to theloon (if I understood his post right): Fresh ideas and good games dont need big names to impress the audience. A real good Shmup is something which speaks for itself, doesnt matter if its called R-Type or something else.

Just take Paddly Party, its my most wanted game from you in the pipe and this has no license, right?

• Like 2

Right here, atari age is selling pac man collection for 7800:

http://atariage.com/...ct_detail&p=849

How did they get the license?!!!!!!!!!!

That was my point. I wonder if any of these classic arcade recreations have a license.

Just on the Atari Age 7800 page are the following:

Asteroids Deluxe, Jr Pac Man, Moon Cresta,, Pac Man Collection, Rip Off, Scramble, Space Dual, Space Invaders are direct ports.

BnQ, Beef Drop, Crazy Brix are clones of games (Q*Bert, Burger Time, Breakout).

And Meteor Shower is the same name as a built-in game from the Telegames Colecovision clone (whether it is the same game or not, I do not know).

Some of these games have been up there for years. And others have been available from other sellers at different times.

My guess is the lot size is too small anyone to seek out. But if something is brought to their attention, then a C&D letter may ensue.

That all being said, I just want good games -- be they arcade remakes or new creations.

Edited by mdoerty

I'd rather look on the bright side -- Namco Bandai is one of the few companies out there that actually reconized the value of their classic games and wants to either port them to other systems or make remakes. Too many companies just sit on their stuff and don't do anything with it for years, and go after anyone who tries to do anything with them (see: Atari). Again, these are two games that can be enjoyed very well on other systems.

I cannot believe Namco is not licensing to outside parties when you look at all the Jakks Pacific plug n play's.

Also, besides Atari Age selling Pac Man Collection and Super Pac Man for 7800, someone made a nice Pac Man Collection for Colecovision a few years back. You can't tell me those are officially licensed games. I say just make a game for intellivision and call it Pac Lady or similar. No one is getting sued for selling D2K, are they?

Lesson here is obvious: STOP trying to work with these gaming companies in order to produce "officially licensed" product!

Make something similar and change the name up if you must. Ms. Hangly-Man and Galaxiga would be good enough for me. Hell, if people still have a raging hard-on for title screens, make 'em an easter egg to be discovered!

Just a shame to see all this potential go right down the drain time and time again. :(

PS: if anyone decides to use the name Galaxiga, I wants me royalties! :rolling:

• Like 3

I have to agree with save2600.

Valter and William, I really respect you guys for trying to do things the right way, and be upstanding business people by making sure you get everyone's approval before doing a project.

On the other hand, hearing stories like these, the Tetris one and now this one, I wonder why you bother.

On top of that, many in this community have reported trying to reach out to rights holders to do it the right way and then were ignored.

I'd take that as implied consent.

If it was me(and one day it might be) I'd just say fuck it, and release the game.

Surely to god, someone in this community is either a lawyer, or has a family member who is one.

At some point, someone is going to push back.

But getting the license is just a pita. :P I'll just call my version Galaaxiggon.

Oh no, you misunderstand... licensing through me would be a piece of cake. Why shouldn't it be? A fistful of dollars, maybe a few dollars more and throughout the good, bad and ugly - I'd be amicable to deal with. :)

I have a lot of respect for Valter and William for staying legit. I also completely understand their caution in not wanting to lose everything they have invested in their company. These licensing limitations can be a good catalyst that can push Elektronite to keep producing interesting and unique titles.

Oh, I completely agree regarding staying completely "aboveboard." I just find it sad and frustrating (as others have already opined) that it's gotten so complex and difficult and expensive to do things properly. It stifles creativity and innovation in the broader sense.

In the specific sense, it means old farts like some of us around here continue to be deprived of all those shiny toys we pined for as yoots. :P

In a way, licensing is part of Intellivision's very essence. It was such an integral part of its emergence as a platform: NFL, MLB, NBA, et. al. ad nauseum. So the high-minded corner of my fandom holds its head high and struts that we do things the right way around here!

And dangit, my browser's all messed up so if this message is all wonky and not properly decorated with smiley things and sarc tags well just infer already.

I see many interesting comments here.

I can understand different points of view, and also people who suggest not to contact companies and go for changing the name.... After viewing stuff like "Way of the exploding foot" on coleco, I believe this is not the correct solution to bring classics to our platform... it is somehow unrespectful... going for original title is the other way but it takes longer in working on the gameplay (we are proceeding this way also with Paddle Party).

What I want to add is that not all the companies are the same: we found collaborative people in few old companies that remain little and not make business based on lawyer, like apogee, llamasoft and cinemaware...

We should make some kind of syndicate for retrogaming and obtain a general document writte by lawyers to present to companies that say we are legitimate to make 200 copies in cart of any classic game... is this totally impossible? I'm not a legal..

Edited by vprette