IGNORED

Tales from ELEKTRONITE Labs: Ms Pac Man & Galaga

vprette

Ok. So as a proud new owner of the ECS (I got the ECS this very night!), I'm reading the manual.

And Mattel wrote:

"Or, on the lighter side, you can create programs for your own video games! Intellivision BASIC offers your special graphic tools that let you extract moving objects (tanks, robots, baseball players, airplanes, that

sort of thing) from Intellivision cartridges you already own...then use them to make up your own games.
"

What does it legally imply? Mattel let us to make our own games using sprites taken from other Intellivision games?!

I believe that publishing legitimate classics like Hover Bovver will make more and more easier to get licenses in the future.

D2K arcade is a different story since based on existing game Jumpman Returns.

Original games are welcome but as you can see, it's very hard to find original concept around: most of the developers (not only on intv ma all platforms like vectrex or coleco) work on already known mechanics..

That's a good point Valter.

Having a couple of successfully launched licensed games will only make it easier to obtain licenses in the future.

You'll be able to approach rights holders in the future and point I these other games as legitimate examples of the proof of your concept.

It might make some of these companies revisit their approach as you will be seen to be more credible.

Live music recordings... "bootlegs" get around the artists approval by putting a % of the sales in an escrow account.

Then they can say, we always intended to give the artist his/her share of the profits.

You know what a fair percentage is based on prior agreements or even close agreements.

You could do the same, at least for companys/rights holders that do not respond to reseasonable attempts to contact.