IGNORED

Star Castle Arcade - Beta Release

Thomas Jentzsch

I was not getting the excitement of this game at first. It looks like the same thing over and over again. (Kind of like Space Rocks, which I love.) As I sat and watched the video, it started to grow on me. I was wondering why the player was flying around the way he was from edge to edge of the screen. Then I noticed that the floating mines would get caught back in the rotating castle walls. This would give a small break from running so he could again focus a bit more on getting through the walls. It looks better and better everytime I watch the video.

Is there an indicator for when the castle will shoot?

And it is facing you. icon_mrgreen.gif

I know that it seems like that, but the logic is independent. So the castle will turn into your direction, but it will shot whenever there is a gap. No matter where you are.

Of course that's identical to the arcade original. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

The castle will shoot whenever there is a gap in the rings.

And it is facing you. :D

..Al

Is there a trick to blasting away at the Castle? Whenever I expose the Star, I am basically a sitting duck because my ship needs to be facing the Star in order to shoot it, but if I am facing it I cannot quickly dodge the plasma ball. More often than not, we fire towards each other simultaneously and I lose a ship when defeating the star. Almost like a Kamikaze. At least it still warps you to the next stage and gives you an extra ship though. :P

You need to keep moving. Get some momentum to fly past the star castle while firing into it. You'll be moving in one direction, but firing in another. icon_smile.gif

Try to attack the castle from the back. Bouncing from the rings helps here.

And have a look at some Youtube videos, how the arcade original is being played.

Nothing beats the look of a vector monitor. :thumbsup:

[sigh], so true...

But it takes a crazy guy like me, for the love of vectors and a Star Castle Arcade tribute, to play 2600 Star Castle Arcade in black and white on a 14" color TV with a blue, red ring, yellow center transparency!

With a Starplex 5 button controller, I will have to remind myself frequently that I am gaming on an Atari 2600!

Drat, I should have suggested arcade-matching boring static blue, red, yellow color.

Although I think that black and white is better because the original was B&W vectors.

• Like 1

But it takes a crazy guy like me, for the love of vectors and a Star Castle Arcade tribute, to play 2600 Star Castle Arcade in black and white on a 14" color TV with a blue, red ring, yellow center transparency!

That's precisely why we put the black and white version in there. I keep hoping to see photos of someone's TV with a transparency over it. :D

Drat, I should have suggested arcade-matching boring static blue, red, yellow color.

I'd suggested it during development, but the color-changing rings won out to give a sense of progression through the game. (I still would have liked to have seen it as an option, but it seems to me space was an issue at that point.)

• 7 months later...

Are there any boxes left for Star Castle?

I was out of the game for a while, and typically I missed it for this release, when I got back into collecting for the 2600 :_(

I do have some Star Castle Arcade boxes with slight damage on one of the sides, but they otherwise are perfect.

star_castle_damaged_boxes.jpg

I'll sell copies of the game with these boxes for $40, versus the $50 they were in the store.

..Al

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the hardest games I have ever played.

At first I got so frustrated, that I wanted to throw the Atari through the window :D

But then I watched some gameplay from the arcade version, and noticed the bouncing trick.

I have gotten to the third castle, but that's as far as I get.

As soon as I make a hole in the inner ring, and try to fly behind him, it either repairs itself, or I hit a missile :skull:

Is there a way to keep the rings from repairing themselves, or am I just to damn slow?

Kinda wish there was a VERY easy mode as well. Got my switches at B position, but it's still brutal :D

Impressive game :thumbsup:

Edited by Steel76
  • Like 1