IGNORED

Some WiiU Questions

Metal Ghost

Well I am thinking that this may be the weekend that I pull the trigger on a WiiU. But I'm really not sure if I'm going to get the basic or deluxe set. Yes, I know, the value proposition on the deluxe set is so much better. The only thing is that I don't have much of an interest in playing Nintendoland, and I already have a White pro-controller (got it for $5 brand new....even without a console I couldn't pass that up!)

So that leaves the smaller storage as my main concern. Can someone walk me through what you can and can't do with SD on the WiiU (there is an SD slot, right). Or a thumb drive for that matter? I know that Nintendo recommends a HDD with separate power for any additional storage, but I'd really prefer not to need one more thing plugged in if I don't need to.

Any thoughts or opinions?

You can't have Wii U DLC on a SD card.

I imagine that there's some limited purposes where it can be utilized by a Wii U for such things as media, but the SD card is primarily for Wii mode. Just like an actual Wii, the Wii U's Wii mode is limited to half a gig of memory out of the box. The only way to expand upon it is by inserting a SD card into the slot.

Then you can temporarily store saves there but more importantly, you can place DLC on to it if you've filled your internal memory. There will be a short wait when starting a game off of an SD card for it to automatically copy it to the internal memory before launching your game, but it's quick and for many things like NES games off the Virtual Console, the copy process is almost instant.

Edited by Atariboy

Ok, so it sounds as if SD is pretty much a no-go. What about using a large thumb drive? I know that the Nintendo website doesn't recommend it, in part at least, because of the limited number if re-writes that such drives provide. But is that realistically a problem? Any thoughts on the speed that such drives provide through the WiiU's USB 2.0 (?) ports....does this pose a problem?

I can't provide any info on thumb drives (since I don't use one with my U), but I did want to address your comment about NintendoLand. I felt the same about the game prior to getting a Wii U, but after playing it I realized that the game is actually a lot of fun. Especially with a partner or partners, it's a great time. The Zelda minigame, the Luigi minigame and the Metroid minigame are my top three. Although the Pikmin minigame is pretty cool as well. It makes great use of the touch screen as well.

• Like 1

Though I personally don't shop at GameStop, they do have a hard drive designed for the Wii U that doesn't need external power because it comes with a Y-adapter (plugs into two USB ports on the back of the Wii U). A friend of mine has one of these and has used it for several months with no problems at all.

It's 320gig and costs under $70.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/320-gb-external-hard-drive/106904

If I run into one of these units sold by someone other than GS, I'll pick it up as a backup.

I can't provide any info on thumb drives (since I don't use one with my U), but I did want to address your comment about NintendoLand. I felt the same about the game prior to getting a Wii U, but after playing it I realized that the game is actually a lot of fun. Especially with a partner or partners, it's a great time. The Zelda minigame, the Luigi minigame and the Metroid minigame are my top three. Although the Pikmin minigame is pretty cool as well. It makes great use of the touch screen as well.

Agreed. I actually dismissed Nintendo Land when I first got the system. I let it collect dust for a few months. To be honest, it felt underwhelming at first. An empty theme park, games that felt lame. Whatever. But when I picked it back up, I dedicated myself to a few games (like the Zelda themed one) and began having a lot of fun. Then came the coins and unlocking things to add to my park, and then came the realization of Miiverse functionality, and then I was hooked. Nintendo Land is great fun once you get the hang of each of the games. I appreciate that it's not a cakewalk either--it's relatively challenging. I still haven't beaten the Donkey Kong or F-Zero ones, and I don't think I'll ever be able to get the highest medals in the later stages of the Zelda one. I'm also surprised at how fleshed out a lot of the games are, like the Pikmin, and the Zelda, and the Metroid themed ones. Even the Balloon Fight (Trip) one unlocks a longer, harder campaign once you clear it a couple of times. Good stuff!

i've been wondering these same types of questions, too. so the jist is that the WiiU is designed for use with an external hard drive for content (DLC, saves). i just don't understand why the Deluxe set even exists since the system can use, say, a 3TB external with no problem for all WiiU game data.

am i missing something here?

The ability to utilize an external hard drive doesn't suddenly make internal memory useless, it's just another option. There's still 4 times as much memory in the Deluxe as the Standard model. And I suspect it's likely more reliable for the long-term than an external hard drive and it of course doesn't take up any extra space or use up USB ports in the process.

For many Wii U owners, 32 gigs will probably be all they ever need. Unless someone is downloading all of their Wii U software instead of purchasing it at retail or plans to download GameCube and Wii games when they become available one of these days, it's hard to imagine at this time 32 gigs ever being inadequate with the way things are going.

Speaking personally, the only way I'd ever need an external hard drive is if they copy Microsoft's optional hard drive installation for all retail software. I'd invest in one then to save wear & tear on my discs and system, reduce load times, and decrease noise so I could keep my discs all installed.

If you expect to need an external HDD though and aren't interested in the other extras of the deluxe, I suppose there's little reason to go with it.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Buying the Deluxe also enrolls you in the digital download promo and you'll get a 10% rebate credit for all download purchases until Dec. 2014. Codes are available in $5 increments as you pass each $50 threshold. https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

As far as added storage... most eShop downloads are small so the 32GB will be enough for a while as long as you're not downloading retail games. Hard drives will be larger/cheaper by the time there's enough software available that you actually need the extra storage. There might be other storage options by then also.

• Like 1

I jumped in and got the Deluxe set at Nintendo World last night. Back home now but won't have a chance to set it up and try'er out for a while. Can't wait though! I picked up Pikmin 3 (which was a must....my kids and I have been having a blast playing the original again lately) and NSMB. I'll chime back in with some thoughts, hopefully soon.

• Like 1

Well, I have the console set-up. The unfortunate part is that I didn't think to take the Gamepad out and charge before I headed back out to dinner. So by the time I got back home, got the kids to bed and started to charge it, it was like 9:30. It's after 11 now and it's still not fully charged yet. Looks like I'm not turning her on until tomorrow. Eh, small price to pay I guess.

I'm pretty sure that you can actually play and charge at the same time. Take a look in your instructions though to make sure so you don't hurt the battery.

Of course if you have it sitting on the charging dock instead of plugged in with a cable, a heck of a lot of good that does you right now.

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah, but unplugging it even momentarily probably wouldn't do the battery any favors as it's charging. So it's an option during normal usage if the battery is running low as you're playing but probably wouldn't of been a good idea last night if he had it on the dock.

Edited by Atariboy

Well I've been hitting the Wii U for a couple of days now, playing Pikmin 3 with the kids. And overall I'm really enjoying it! It's a great piece of kit. Now, I don't expect to own more than perhaps 10 (?) titles ever for the console, probably all Nintendo titles (to place that into context I have over 80 for Xbox 360, not including a bunch I sold a few years ago). But I've said my peace with that, and nonetheless couldn't be happier with the console.

the WiiU is just begging for a remake of Pac-Man VS

I couldn't agree more! I was thinking the same thing a few nights ago. I'd be so surprised if this didn't come to the eShop at some point relatively soon. When my buddy comes over this is a pretty standard go-to game for us and my 2 kids to play. We all get a kick out of it....my 4 year-old cracks up every time!

On another note....does anyone know much about the WiiU's TV functionality? I remember reading a bunch about it pre-launch, but haven't looked into it at all since then (and certainly not since getting the WiiU....been playing too much Pikmin 3!). Can anyone give me the low-down?

Edited by Metal Ghost

I believe it controls your cable box. And on channels or films that support it, extra information about what you are watching will appear on the gamepad. Or something like that. I don't have a television service (I stream everything) so I haven't gotten to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that completely excited me this past Saturday: my wife played the first video game with me in like 8 years. She totally got into New Super Mario Bros. U. She has a weak spot for old school Mario (and Zelda for that matter) because she used to play it back in the day with her Dad and brother. So for this alone....to really get into a game with my honey....totally worth the price of admission! :)

• Like 3

It's not Pac Man VS but maybe this would be of interest-

''Pac Man Museum: The final title is Pac-Man Battle Royale, something that is much more noteworthy since it has never been available to the public outside of the arcades, despite being a much more recent title. At first glance, the game is nothing more than a multiplayer version of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, as it only puts up a string of dots at a time and puts up another string when either the current one gets finished or when fruit gets eaten. Eating a power pellet changes things, however, as you not only get to eat ghosts but also become a much larger version of yourself that eat the other players as well. The game only ends when all but one of the Pac-Men is eaten or defeated by ghosts, making the whole affair more competitive than before. It is a brilliant take on the formula and can easily become a local multiplayer favorite in the same vein as classics like Bomberman and Worms.''

http://worthplaying.com/event/E3_2013/PostE3_2013/89871/