IGNORED

New Intellivision Game Announcement!

Well, people seemed to want serial numbers, so I gave them to them. I couldn't really put them on D2K and Minehunter retroactively.

As far as being 'licensed' by Intellivision Productions to make Intellivision games......if people remember, the lawsuit between Activision and Atari back in 1982 established that 3rd party developers do NOT need 'permission' to produce games for a particular platform.

When the NES came along, they put a lock out chip in there, which made it a moot point. You pretty much had to be a licensed developer to make games for the system, otherwise, your games wouldn't work on the NES.

Fast forward to today. It is generally accepted that you MUST be 'authorized' by the platform maker or rights holder to make games. One of the 'hoops' that I had to jump through, that I mentioned in another thread, in order to obtain a license that fell through, was to get official 'authorization' to make Intellivision games from Intellivision Productions, Inc. They wanted to be sure that they wouldn't be sued by Intellivision Productions if we made games.

We did that.

It doesn't mean that we are affiliated with Intellivision Productions. It means that they won't sue us if we make games for the Intellivision. In fact, they gave me permission to use the Intellivision logotype on our box. We just have to put a disclaimer on our boxes, and we have done that starting with Match 5 and DK Arcade on the bottom of the box.

• Like 3

The game is planned to have serial numbers.

People call us 'homebrew' but I have rejected that label from the beginning, as we are a real company selling games in all new materials.

Some of our games are officially licensed...others are original product.

I think the reason that people insist on calling us 'homebrew' is that is the label you get when you produce games for old systems. So, I guess First Star, who was there in the day, are just as 'homebrew' as we are.

When Intellivision Productions starts making their own cartridges, will they be considered 'homebrew'?

I think homebrew really goes back more to where the games are developed and how they are distributed. Like back in the day when someone wrote a program for a home computer and sold a few hundred out of there home, advertising in the for sale section of computer mags.

Is the release of Boulder Dash limited, or unlimited? I know that Elektronite tries to make unlimited games and I love that, even if I am a day 1 buyer, but I heard about the VCS version of Boulder Dash and they just were allowed to make 100 copies with the license.

I think it was 150.

I'm a happy owner of one. It's an incredible game. And now that I have an Atarivox I can save my progress too.

One thing important to note is the fact its development took 10 years!

I work with the guy who designed the levels for Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back! Curtis Mikolyski.

He is still good friends with Bill Hogue the owner and developer for Big Five Software.

They are both regular guys with regular jobs, maybe they are willing to help the Intellivision people out and get those games on Intellivision as well.

I just play and collect, but if I hook them up with Elektronite! great things could happen!

I work with the guy who designed the levels for Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back! Curtis Mikolyski.

He is still good friends with Bill Hogue the owner and developer for Big Five Software.

They are both regular guys with regular jobs, maybe they are willing to help the Intellivision people out and get those games on Intellivision as well.

I just play and collect, but if I hook them up with Elektronite! great things could happen!

It should of course be tried, but it's been notoriously difficult to get Hogue to discuss or acknowledge his past company/work in the past decade. I'm not sure if it's lack of interest or some other reason, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of that going anywhere.

That is too bad. I'd not mind doing Miner 2049er on the Intellivision.

=================

ATTENTION ARTISTS

=================

We are trying to decide what art we would like to use for the game. We are looking for submissions from people who would like to try their hand at designing our box.

Our game is a port of Boulder Dash Vol. 1, which was the very first game in the series. So, therefore, we are using the original version of Rockford.

I have included in this post some art from an early box of the first game. Please use it as a point of reference. The key items are the large eyes, the red and white stripped shirt and the red sneakers with white stripes.

You CANNOT change the look of Rockford very much, if at all.

Remember that Elektronite boxes have 'Action Circles' and have to fit between the two 'Elektronite waves'.

Any art should be in CMYK format. Do NOT submit it in RGB format.

And, finally, there are NO promises that we will use the art in any way. We MAY use it, but we will be using the best art possible.

Any art used will be credited in the credits and a free copy of the game will be given.

Right side original painting for Boulder Dash Box.bmp

post-31813-0-17812400-1376933327_thumb.png

I understand that Bill, and you are mostly correct.

for whatever reason, Bill Hogue moved on, started a family and went to work at Technicolor in Burbank,CA.

I don't believe he feels what he did was as relevant as it actually is to the game players and collectors out there.

i haven't met him personally but I think it is time that I do. He has by all accounts avoided the possibility of bringing these games back to life.

I need to push Curtis on this in order to get Bill on board!

• 2 months later...

=================

ATTENTION ARTISTS

=================

We are trying to decide what art we would like to use for the game. We are looking for submissions from people who would like to try their hand at designing our box.

Our game is a port of Boulder Dash Vol. 1, which was the very first game in the series. So, therefore, we are using the original version of Rockford.

I have included in this post some art from an early box of the first game. Please use it as a point of reference. The key items are the large eyes, the red and white stripped shirt and the red sneakers with white stripes.

You CANNOT change the look of Rockford very much, if at all.

Remember that Elektronite boxes have 'Action Circles' and have to fit between the two 'Elektronite waves'.

Any art should be in CMYK format. Do NOT submit it in RGB format.

And, finally, there are NO promises that we will use the art in any way. We MAY use it, but we will be using the best art possible.

Any art used will be credited in the credits and a free copy of the game will be given.

Has anyone sent in a box art submission? It would be fun to see submissions so far posted on the Elektronite website. Maybe we can vote for our favorite!