IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Not bad, even with the shipping. I hope you have better luck than I did. A few months back I purchased a printer

and all it did was light up the ERROR light. I could not even get it to self-test, so I ended up throwing it away.

Now when I need to print something, I just use the HDX's printer interface and spit the output to my inkjet.

The ribbon prices on that printer are around $15.00 bucks a piece, so it's not too out-of-line. It also looks like it can take single sheet of paper so that's good too. Congratulations on the unexpected win!

While it is certainly not going to remain at $4.99 for long, it is so unusual to find a PEB auction starting below $100, that I thought it was noteworthy.

Also looks to be in excellent condition for being described as "used"

I'd say that if the auction doesn't take off into the stratosphere, this could be a MUST-BUY for anyone living near Tulsa

Yup that's the reaction I've come to expect. A couple weeks ago I found a manual for my only original-era-purchase game (box and manuals long lost decades ago), "Video Games 1" (includes the absolute best awful pinball game ever written - I play it for hours and hours every few days, repeating over and over "this is such crap")

Anyway, the manual was up for 5.99 (if memory serves - been having overrun errors lately) but it was the shipping and import fees that were outrageous at nearly $20 (for a $6 item!). I contacted the seller saying that although I found the price high for what it was, I'd happily pay the price, but could not justify shipping at nearly 3 times the item value. $2.50 of which was their own handling fee - on a $6 item. (tabarnak!)

I suggested that they could simply place the item in cardboard, place this in an envelope, and ship it to me standard post. I went on to say I would assume full responsibility should things go amiss. To make a long story short, their eventual response was to re-list the manual at double the original price (effectively placing their thumb on their nose and wiggling their fingers at me). My own satisfaction was that it never sold. (all they had to do is agree to my more effective item price to shipping ratio method, and I would have paid their original price).

That's why I thought I should write a follow up to my original post about these Atarisoft games...this guys prices are still high (subjectively) for what he's selling, but at least he was willing to be reasonable within the context of a collector/traders' (as opposed to an enthusiasts') market,

He provided huge savings to my end cost, without affecting his ultimate bottom line. (I'm good with that)

I was looking at a 2004 Samsung SyncMaster 172MP over the weekend as it has component inputs which I could use for my Acorn Election and BBC Mirco as they can be hooked up to a SCART cable, then use a converter. It was listed as a BIN for $60 + $20 shipping and had Make Me an offer which I did at $45 as it didn't have a stand nor, as I pointed out to the seller, the external TV tuner module, contrary to the description.

He declined the offer saying "I am sorry .. I found out they are worth more. And I am aware of the missing components .. thank you for your interest", and jacked up the price $300!!!!!

Latest Zachism....

I asked him if he would combine shipping on multiple items I planned on purchasing...

"sorry. I don't combine shipping. It is part of what I expect to get out the item"

I nearly wet my pants laughing...so reducing my shipping costs would somehow effect his bottom line?

I can't imagine a supplier of anything/anywhere telling a customer that "I will only ship your multiple item purchase as separate shipments, so I can maximize the profit portion of your shipping fees". Friggin' ludicrous!

I know he has some great NOS items for sale, but I'm done with even trying to give him my money. He doesn't seem too interested in taking it anyway.

Luckily, a lot of the items he's sold to traders over the past year or so are now back on the market, so it has actually become cheaper (when shipping is factored in) to buy Zach items from other peeps. All things considered, purchasing items he has in stock from other sellers is actually highly satisfying!

And I keep spending like a banshee on this money-pit of a hobby, so Zach just said no to several hundred dollars (or more) worth of sales. Hope he demonstrates better business acumen in his real estate gig.

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 2

The seller's statement sure sounds like a violation of the ebay selling practices with respect to what can be charged. Proving it may be more difficult.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

Zach notwithstanding, the fact that eBay charges a percentage of what I collect for shipping sets off my "whatever" response to some of eBay's guidelines.

• Like 1

Bcrandell is a former TI employee who has sold a lot of interesting (and not so interesting) TI hardware and software into the community over the last five years or so. One of the first items he sold was an original TI-99/8 Getting Started Guide (I bought it for my 99/8). He's reliable and his items are generally exactly what he says they are, although his prices are all over the map (from spot on to seriously overpriced). I've bought a lot of items from him over the years and I haven't been disappointed yet.

I've bought almost a dozen things from Zach the past month. I can confirm he doesn't combine shipping, and at least on a few items, wouldn't even haggle with me (I was hoping for a Monty Python/Life of Brian type haggle session, no luck, lol)... He knows he has some cool things, and value is a subjective thing, so if he can command prices he's asking, good for him. For me, price hasn't been an issue on the items I really wanted as I was more determined to complete my system and it was truly a blast just opening up NOS. That was probably worth 20% of the price (for me) just bringing me back to the 80s as a kid opening this stuff up at Christmas, etc, like a time capsule. I'm sure I've "overpaid" from a market perspective on some items, but when you're trying to round out your system, you guys know how it is, if you can scratch that itch... do it. Ha!

Anyhow, I still need the original manual for the 10" Color Monitor, the original Slymoids manual, and Vol 1, Issues 1, 2, and 4 of 99'er Magazine. I'm willing to part with good money if anyone can help me cross these items off my list! Send me a PM if you can help out (yes, already made my plea in the Wanted forum as well). Thanks, folks!

• Like 1

Don't "know" him, but I've thrown a couple offers his way in the past week...seems like a straight-up fellow if first impressions mean anything.

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 1

The seller's statement sure sounds like a violation of the ebay selling practices with respect to what can be charged. Proving it may be more difficult.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

I'd never go after someone for breaking ebay policies...seems like they nickle and dime folks with thier various fees anyway.

My complaint with Zach is simply that not combining shipping on a multiple purchase transaction is completely devoid of any appreciation for the associated costs to your customer, and is something no regular supplier would ever do.

Zach does it with arrogance because he can....just as I can give my money to someone else with a satisfying sense of righteous indignation towards Mr isellhomes.

My most satisfying recourse is not to try to call-him-out for possibly (and probably not) breaking some ebay seller rule, but is instead to simply not give him any of the money I am sinking into this money-pit of a hobby, knowing that every $100 I spend through an alternative seller, is $100 I am stealing right out of his pocket!

That, my friend, is sweet justice.

...yes, but Zach could avoid all if this discussions and negative thoughts about,

just by making these seldom (or all) articles ie 10$ more on the price,

and then combine the shipping costs to compense this "loss".

So I don´t understand this method....

(but maybe this makes is more interesting, also for gaining higher prices :)

• Like 1

Of course, you also have the option of waiting five to seven days between your purchases of individual items from him, which forces him to ship them separately and eliminates his unconscionable shipping profit. As it stands now, when you order several items at once, he pockets a lot of extra money--which is gone with the separate purchases. He can game the system to his advantage, but so can you.

Ahhh yes, Mr. $15.99 + $4.00 shipping on this...

$_57.JPG

-- OR -- $2.99 total with shipping for... << THIS AUCTION >>

When cut down it looks like...

gallery_35324_1027_18260.jpg

Granted it's not exactly the same thing, but it works.

With anything, it's what you are WILLING to pay for it. If he can get someone to part with as much money as possible, he's obviously fine with that. Some salesmen believe, "Nobody thinks they're a sucker that will pay more than it's worth." So some salesmen believe it's their job to use deceptive methods to get you to or over that line if possible. I simply choose not to do business with this type of person or promote them or their products.

Speaking of odd and interesting TI things from auctions, I just got four TI books from Argentina (in Spanish) that I had never seen before. It turns out they are not like the other three books I have in Spanish, which were translations of Compute! books for the TI. On first glance, all four of these books appear to be original titles, sold only in Argentina. I haven't gone through them totally yet to be sure, although one of them may be distantly related to a German book of music on the TI.

• Like 3

I would be interested to know if any other global ebay users have had experience with their « Global Shipping Program »

It is 'sold' to both buyers and sellers as a cost saving and reliable way to ship across borders, while my experience has suggested that the opposite might actually be true.

First, it seems to completely ignore various exemptions under the North American Free Trade Agreement, and so invariably charges Duty and import fees, where there are none required. Second, the only times that I have had purchases delayed/held at the border have been a deliveries made by the "hassle-free" Global shipping program.

Now, I take no issue with my cross-border purchases being delayed by customs...and applaud a cautious border security system in today's world, but when the only time you experience those delays is when ypu use a program that is supposed to ellimanate them...well you get where I'm going.

So I'm thinking that ebay may have designed a system that benefit's Eropean or Central/South American users, while failing miserably for Canadian (and likely Mexican) users, who fall under the provisions of NAFTA.

Or maybe the whole program is simply an ebay SNAFU?

It actually significantly increases shipping costs for the buyer--they have to pay to ship to the Global Shipping warehouse and then the fees for processing and the shipment to their country. The only thing the Global Shipping program does is protect the SELLER from having their funds clawed back for problems on receipt by the buyer--once received by the Global Shipping warehouse, the seller is considered to be free and clear (after it is inspected and repacked for shipment to the buyer by the warehouse). It is useful when sending to countries with unreliable postal systems or with unscrupulous buyers--but that is all.

Note that this is an eBay service--and the function of an eBay service is primarily to make money for eBay, not to serve the customer. . .and you'd have to get the seller to send you the dirty diapers, Ralf--and I really wouldn't want to see that auction! :skull: :skull: :skull:

Well, eBay no longer allows used panties, so I doubt the diaper would pass muster. :P

In any case, I only ship to Canada. Long ago I tired of the paperwork and other customs crap required for shipping over-seas. I certainly would not use eBay's service even though, no matter how I try to get rid of it, that service is checked by default. Then there is the constant nagging in my seller page for "fast 'n free" and international shipping options.

I remember when eBay upped its listing and final value fees, then decided to start taking a percentage of shipping costs. I recall it lost two of its biggest sellers to the Amazon Marketplace as a result. One evil for another, I suppose.