IGNORED

New Flash MegaCart by BigBen available....

santosp

Two questions about the MegaCart Studio software.

1) Why doesn't the flasher (at least at my setup) has a built in High Speed I/O routine? Slow Sio takes a while!

2) Why is the complete 4MB transferred even when you only have one or two files in your workbook? I am doing some testing tonight, which I do not want to test on the emulator, and everytime the whole 4MB is transferred... which is not needed.

Thanks!

P

Hi ProWizard,

Regarding question 1)

The generated ATR image has a built in High Speed I/O.

You just need to press OPTION button when switching on the Atari and keep in pressed until you see "SIO patching" on the screen.

I guess you have released the OPTION button to early.

Regarding question 2)

The complete 4MB is transferred to the Atari but only the required bytes are flashed.

Megacart Flasher does NOT use the concept of "incremental updates" (like The!Cart does).

For testing single files we recommend to use the emulator.

And if you want to flash only a few games to the real cart and you don't have much time, than a better choice would be to use Flash Megacart 512K.

Regards

Montezuma

Edited by TheMontezuma

Hi ProWizard,

Regarding question 1)

The generated ATR image has a built in High Speed I/O.

You just need to press OPTION button when switching on the Atari and keep in pressed until you see "SIO patching" on the screen.

I guess you have released the OPTION button to early.

Regarding question 2)

The complete 4MB is transferred to the Atari but only the required bytes are flashed.

Megacart Flasher does NOT use the concept of "incremental updates" (like The!Cart does).

Regards

Montezuma

About point 1: Ah thanks, I did not know that... thanks a lot

About point 2: I understand, but this still means that the atari has to read 4MB each time I program the cart right? Isn't it possible to find a solution for this (moving all the used data to the first banks)? I know AtariMax flashing is working this way too. When I put only one or two (small) files on my 8Mbit workbook, and for the rest nothing, and I program my flash-cart with the ATR, it only reads and flashes the first few pages, and then it's ready.

With what I was testing with 4MB I only used 90KB max and everytime I had to wait such a long time before the whole ATR was transferred. Interrupting the process resulted in a non working cart, so I concluded: I have to wait till the flasher is ready.

I hope it can been fixed; if not, that's ok... so don't feel pressed or something haha. I'm very happy with my collection of 4MB carts.

I did not use a timer, but I remember it felt like quite a long time. Definitely longer than 15 minutes.

Ok Marius, the question became as to understand if you make use of SIO patch switch, or not! Now with the SIO patch "on", you need this exact time to load the cart. In other case the time goes double. ;)

As for the second part of your question, have ask from the first beginning Bernd for a "usb flasher" solution. But is really too busy on his real life as to can deal with it. :( Ok I understand him, after all Atari is for our fun. ;)

And finally yes, the 512Kb Megacart version is a solution, half-hearted but solution :grin: . The problem is cause not produced any more, and if someone ask me to make a batch from those, I really prefer to participate on a USB Flasher project. ;)

Edited by santosp

About point 2: I understand, but this still means that the atari has to read 4MB each time I program the cart right?

Yes.

Isn't it possible to find a solution for this [...]?

Well, it is possible and Bernd has already started working on that, so you may expect an update within the next days :)

Edited by TheMontezuma

Goods news :)

Bernd has updated the "Easy Flasher" to speed up flashing of the 512k and 4MB Megacart modules.

Atari will read only as few bytes as it is really required to perform flashing.

You wil notice the difference if your game collection to be flashed contains less data than the size of the cart.

For example: I have prepared a collection containing only a few titles and flashing time was about one minute :thumbsup:

The new "easy flasher" is integrated into the Megacart Studio version 5.6:

http://www.abbuc.de/~bernd/4MB_FLASH_MEGACART/assets/megacartstudio.zip

Many thanks to Avery Lee for adding 512K and 4MB Flash Megacart emulation into the official Altirra source code.

It is 100% emulation, including flashing :) (Menu: File / Attach special cartridge / Empty 4MB Megacart Flash Cartridge)

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test21.zip

More info on Bernds webpage:

http://herale.org/4MB_FLASH_MEGACART

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 1

Hi Panos,

Fratzengeballer has started a query at Abbuc forum, how many people would be interested in Megacart 4MB.

At the moment 16 persons have answered, including me, although I already have 3 :)

If you consider interested people at AtariAge and at atari.org.pl/forum (I could help with writing a posting in polish about it), you may count with at least 30 pieces.

Would you consider a new run?

Best Regards

Marcin

• Like 2

Hi Marcin.

Although some time a go Lothar ask me about it, I must admit cause is the first time who I hear through you that there is so much interest! :)

I have speak also with the Author "Bernd Herale" about that, and It seems that it has no objections.

So yes, I can handle it with great pleasure! :thumbsup: Of course someone should undertake to raise the money from interested members, in case of group purchases.

Money which will not receive, prior prepare all the orders. ;)

Now if you can organize a group buy on Atari Poland, I would glad to make the cartridges for them.

Thank you, Panos.

Edited by santosp

Time for the new Megacartstudio V5.0, download on my webside inclusive a new atari800 emulator. A very big "thank you" to Tomasz Krasuski (kr0tki) for his excellent job.

And here all running games into MCP-Files.

Have fun,

BigBen

PS: The language greece will be add later

I'm trying to get part2.mcp to load in Altirra 2.50 test xxx .

Don't see how to load games of skill.mcp in Altirra.

Guess I should try the atari 800 emulator.

I'm trying to get part2.mcp to load in Altirra 2.50 test xxx .

Don't see how to load games of skill.mcp in Altirra.

Guess I should try the atari 800 emulator.

*.mcp files are Megacart Studio project files.

You can open them only with Megecart Studio:

With this tool you can generate *.rom files (and *.car files) that can be opened with Altirra or atari800.

More info:

Now if you can organize a group buy on Atari Poland, I would glad to make the cartridges for them.

I can't manage a group buy for Polish Atari community, because I live in Germany, but I can write a post at atari.org.pl/forum providing a link to this thread at AtariAge.

I'm sure that Bernd will have nothing against a new run :)

• Like 1

With this tool you can generate *.rom files (and *.car files) that can be opened with Altirra or atari800.

More info:

I can't manage a group buy for Polish Atari community, because I live in Germany, but I can write a post at atari.org.pl/forum providing a link to this thread at AtariAge.

I'm sure that Bernd will have nothing against a new run :)

I'm trying to make a .ROM of 'games of skill.mcp' compilation. There is no .exe/.com/xex in the 'megacartstudio.zip' just an .ico and .jar. I 'unjar' the 'megacartstudio.jar and it makes manuals, a couple folders

.class files .properties files 3 masterx.atrs with AR0 in them. I don't see any PC executable.

Edited by russg

• 2 weeks later...

There is some bug going on. I can't describe very well WHEN it happens, but from time to time, when I am working on a project in the studio, files are suddenly renamed. It seems to happen when you delete/insert files.

Other problem is that 'deleting' files with the keyboard always deletes the last entry (not the one where the highlighted bar is) and that when I do that two or three times the files suddenly can't be selected anymore with the mouse (only with the right mouse button).

I'm on OS X... I'm not sure whether this also occurs on Windows.

So summary:

1) Sometimes entries suddenly get renamed

2) Deleting files using the keyboard does only delete the last entry in the list, in stead of the highlighted/selected entry.

3) Deleting two or three times in a row using keyboard, results in some kind of lockup in the selection ability.

There is some bug going on. I can't describe very well WHEN it happens, but from time to time, when I am working on a project in the studio, files are suddenly renamed. It seems to happen when you delete/insert files.

Other problem is that 'deleting' files with the keyboard always deletes the last entry (not the one where the highlighted bar is) and that when I do that two or three times the files suddenly can't be selected anymore with the mouse (only with the right mouse button).

I'm on OS X... I'm not sure whether this also occurs on Windows.

So summary:

1) Sometimes entries suddenly get renamed

2) Deleting files using the keyboard does only delete the last entry in the list, in stead of the highlighted/selected entry.

3) Deleting two or three times in a row using keyboard, results in some kind of lockup in the selection ability.

Under Windows everything works OK, so it seems to be a JVM issue in OS X...

Could you check if there is an update for your Java Virtual Machine available?

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...