IGNORED

New prototype discovered !

CPUWIZ

I assume it's the one Doug did before he left Atari. He mentions he was working on it before the big lay offs. Then he spent time making it better and giving us Solaris in the end

That would be pretty cool. Ever since I saw that interview with him on Stella at 20 (where he spins the tale), I've wondered if that early version still existed someplace.

If I recall the story right, he'd been working on the (as yet unnamed) game on his own, and Atari expressed interest in making it into The Last Starfighter. Atari flew him down to LA for a special advance screening of the movie, and by the end of that weekend, Tramiel had come on board and dumped the project.

Among others. :(

Methinks CPUWiz is enjoying this highly :)

*waits patiently*

For once, yes I am. |:):evil:

The other 3 were Space Dungeon, Super Pac-Man and a Diagnostic Cart. :D

The LSF proto is an oversized board crammed into this loaner cart. It's like your Crystal Castles proto, JCroniger ! As you can see the end of the circuit board is sticking out the top.

LastStarfighterProto.jpg

Wow! What a time for my computer to be down (I just got back on-line). I knew a few 2600 LSF protos were out there, but I guess I never really persued people dumping them since it's an early versionof Solaris. However I'd be very interested in seeing how the gameplay changed between TLSF and Solaris.

Cool find on those 5200 prototypes. I already own those, but I'd like to see if they're different.

Tempest

Tempest, I have desoldered the Super Pac-Man EPROM's and it's the same as the one that is available (well after I puzzled the dumps back together in the right order) but I don't know about the other ones yet. :?

You know I will send you more scans and BIN's if I find something new. ;)

Which reminds me, I still need to send you the scan for the Rabbit Transit lab-loaner. :D

My Super Pac-Man proto is different than the dump that's out there but I haven't figured out how. I think it may (or may not) be the bug fixed version that Landon Dyer told me about. He said one version had a bug that may cause some doors not to open. Since I've never run into this bug I can't say if mine has it or not.

Tempest

Hey you prototype teaser CPUWIZ,

For the record: all protos I own are known to exist and known to the public. I've never made a secret about what I have, nor have I ever refused to dump and distribute ROMs.

That being said,

my Last Starfighter looks like yours. There has been another one on eBay about two years ago, which also looked the same. I cannot remember who got that one though.

Oh, I'm sure my Rabbit Transit looks better than yours :evil:

Cheers,

Marco

* fight fight *

Oh wait, I am one of the participants. :ponder:

So, if you think you're version of Rabbit Transit is different, why has it not been made available ? Same with Last Starfighter ? :roll:

:?

I hope you know that I am messing with you. 8)

So, if you think you're version of Rabbit Transit is different, why has it not been made available ?

Somehow I doubt there's more than one version of Rabbit Transit out there since it was a port of an already existing 2600 game and only had some minor changes. It's not like they did it from scratch.

There has been another one on eBay about two years ago, which also looked the same

Yes I remember that one and I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing it. As I remember it had "Bobby S." or something like that written on one corner of the label. I wonder who ended up with that one?

Tempest

I cant wait to find out details about this. I LOVE the Last Star Fighter, so it would be really cool to find a LSF themed 2600 game running on the solaris engine :-) Please keep us posted on any details. Have you played it? screen shots? Does it have a LSF title screen? How does it compare to Solaris? (and please dont crack the board!) :-)

Awesome, and thanks for sharing so far!

*So, if you think you're version of Rabbit Transit is different, why has it not been made available ? Same with Last Starfighter ?   :roll:  

:?  

I hope you  know that I am messing with you.   8)

Right back at ya, my hardcore collector friend :D

Cheers,

Marco

PS: They have both been dumped and distributed