IGNORED

How many Zong issues in English?

high voltage

I like this mag. It reflects the spirit of the times for atari users in Germany in the nineties. Many news of the nineties, tips, tricks, cheats, reviews and so on.

The meaning of ZONG in english? I would translate it to .... ZONG (or Pow, Wham, Zap, Bam or something else you could read in comics).

7734588-abbildung-der-comic-buch-explosion-f-r-ihr-design.jpg

• Like 1

The U.K. was a difficult market for the West-European Atari companies. At ANG Software we made 3 issues of The best of Pokey in English, but there was not enough interest. Especially for the best of Pokey we found out that the direct manner of writing and expressing opinions on software was very difficult to handle for UK readers and companies. For example, I wrote a mega review of Dean Garraghty software in English. It was published on the best of Pokey and the TWAUG newsletter. My review wasn't very positive. The result was many angry letters of Dean Garraghty and threats of legal action to ANG and TWAUG. It was just a article with a personal view of the quality of the software...

On the other hand. If you read old issues of Page 6, many times European software was not very positively reviewed by the them. ANG software never sold much software directly to the UK, but when we sold the software through Micro Discount (UK company of Derek Fern) it sold very well...

So in those days I think the UK-users did not like to buy European software from non-UK companies or subscribing to NON-UK magazines. That's why there are only 3 issues of the best of Pokey and one issue of Zong in English.

Edited by Fred_M

think they made a mistake with that issue

AMS was never held in blackpool, only stafford and London (the once)

It mentions that inside the issue, Kemal went to Blackpool to ride the roller coasters, he was gonna ride the Pepsi Max, but it wasn't open yet.

BTW, there where two Alternative Micro Shows in London, we attended the second on 1st April 1989, you can read about it in issue 7 of 8: 16

• Like 1

The U.K. was a difficult market for the West-European Atari companies. At ANG Software we made 3 issues of The best of Pokey in English, but there was not enough interest. Especially for the best of Pokey we found out that the direct manner of writing and expressing opinions on software was very difficult to handle for UK readers and companies. For example, I wrote a mega review of Dean Garraghty software in English. It was published on the best of Pokey and the TWAUG newsletter. My review wasn't very positive. The result was many angry letters of Dean Garraghty and threats of legal action to ANG and TWAUG. It was just a article with a personal view of the quality of the software...

On the other hand. If you read old issues of Page 6, many times European software was not very positively reviewed by the them. ANG software never sold much software directly to the UK, but when we sold the software through Micro Discount (UK company of Derek Fern) it sold very well...

So in those days I think the UK-users did not like to buy European software from non-UK companies or subscribing to NON-UK magazines. That's why there are only 3 issues of the best of Pokey and one issue of Zong in English.

I think a lot of it had to do with the thought of ordering from another country, regardless of the country itself. Before the advent of the internet it was very rare for myself or any of my friends to be ordering stuff unless it was from a UK supplier. Hence why once we could get the stuff via Micro Discount we tried to order as much as we could, it was great software at a reasonable price. I know I put in three or four orders through Derek and was rarely disappointed.

I would agree that some of the software was bashed a bit in the UK magazines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's a good reason that I didn't buy from non UK suppliers back in the 90s. I was a child until 96 and didn't have access to a debit or credit card. I didn't even have a cheque book.

So when ordering, I would have to order via postal order. Postal orders were useful in the UK and you would pay the post office a premium for using them so it was expensive. International money orders were if I remember correctly 14 pounds before you've even been ripped off on the exchange rate.

That is why I didn't buy from non UK suppliers.

I thought the quality abroad seemed good at the time.