IGNORED

AtariAge Summer Homebrew Releases!

Albert

A lot of other AA games borrowed concepts with redone graphics/audio and nobody cracked down on them. Just look at columbs Strat-O-Gems, WarLords Medieval Mayhem... :roll:

Yes, and other 2600 homebrew projects were not so lucky.

In this case, despite having original code and graphics (some of which resemble the Mario character) the game was touted in blogs everywhere as Super Mario for the 2600. This certainly didn't improve things. Not that it would ever get this far, but a judge would certainly take public perception into account. I also think it's fair to say the game got a lot more attention using the Mario looking character than it would have if it was originally released as "frog rescue", and that would be a consideration too.

If you roll the dice you take your chances. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

A lot of other AA games borrowed concepts with redone graphics/audio and nobody cracked down on them. Just look at Tetris Chetiry, WarLords Medieval Mayhem, etc... :roll:

And then homebrew games like Pacman 4k and the upcoming DK which even copy the name in addition to graphics, audio, and physics...

Yes, an equally noninfringing title Sonic the Hedgehog Zippy the Porcupine! :lolblue: Hopefully Sega won't be such a bully and look the other way...

I wonder if Princess Rescue simply got too much press/notice, and Nintendo decided to act? Pac-Man is a bad example because Bob D. (PacManPlus) and Eduardo (Opcode) contacted Namco, who never even responded to them. They don't care. As for DK (Intellivision), I doubt Nintendo would even know about it, although you wonder now?

Edited by Greg2600

I wonder if Princess Rescue simply got too much press/notice, and Nintendo decided to act? Pac-Man is a bad example because Bob D. (PacManPlus) and Eduardo (Opcode) contacted Namco, who never even responded to them. They don't care. As for DK (Intellivision), I doubt Nintendo would even know about it, although you wonder now?

I also contacted the big A... I mean big N for Mario Bros for the ColecoVision and never got a replied from them

Go figure....

Nintendo should simply stop pissed homebrewers and get their lazy ass and make a GOOD video game console, as well as GOOD game!

Hey Nintendo! .... Know what? Why not making a new NES or SNES games?

Apparently, there is alot of money to make out of homebrews on old hardware

Why don't you make one yourself?

By the way guys, I did received the same f&$?@! thing for Smurf Challenge for Colecovision

Son of Peyo contacted me about the fact we had made TONS of money out of Smurf Challenge

Yeah, right!

We now drive Ferrari and have a $2 000 000 house and we literally live a dream here!

Geez!

Somebody creates an original game and the big N bans it, yet retrousb has be reproing near exact duplicates of games for years:

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=29

Never mind the fact most of it is out of stock right now. The VS games (especially "shoot the dog" Duck Hunt) and DK Pie Foundry are two of my favs...

Somebody creates an original game and the big N bans it, yet retrousb has be reproing near exact duplicates of games for years:

Never mind the fact most of it is out of stock right now. The VS games (especially "shoot the dog" Duck Hunt) and DK Pie Foundry are two of my favs...

I actually don't really mind with repros.... As well as homebrew obviously

What bother me is people bashing on a homebrew project because it an active liscence

Seriously, will the big N will loose money out of this project? I really don't think so!

Talk about it wrong, talk about it good.... As long as you talk about it

Nintendo understand that for sure and they need that at this moment!

This is what concerns me. P.R. is clearly paying tribute to SMB but is also clearly NOT based off of the big Ns assets. I don't care how similar something is as long as it doesn't create brand confusion. No one except that confused troll was confused when they bought Sprybugs work.

As I was bringing the subject up on other various retro gaming development forums I saw a sad phenomenon. People would actually duck and cover. Some came close to locking and/or deleting the topic. I think a discussion on how to protect our retro game efforts is important. I think disclosure is needed otherwise legal bullying wins. Period.

• Like 3

This is what concerns me. P.R. is clearly paying tribute to SMB but is also clearly NOT based off of the big Ns assets. I don't care how similar something is as long as it doesn't create brand confusion. No one except that confused troll was confused when they bought Sprybugs work.

As I was bringing the subject up on other various retro gaming development forums I saw a sad phenomenon. People would actually duck and cover. Some came close to locking and/or deleting the topic. I think a discussion on how to protect our retro game efforts is important. I think disclosure is needed otherwise legal bullying wins. Period.

Yeah, amd those same people using emulators without owning a single game they emulate

Geez....

You make a valid point. I've been a rather loyal customer to retrousb for some time. Even though I know the repros (well, most of them) violate copyright, I still bought said products and enjoyed them very much. I bought my first Atari in 2012 and subsequently joined AtariAge. I have found that the Atari scene seems to consist of much more friendly people, and the Atari collectors are much less cutthroat in general compared to NES collectors. You can still find semi-rare Atari games without donating a kidney or liver for it. And although there have been a few really good homebrews for NES, the homebrew scene in general seems so much more alive with Atari. With NES, it's mostly repros / hacks / translations / prototypes and less original games.

Which is why it saddens me that they would target an innocent homebrew instead of blatant repro copying.

I think it's pretty clear that PR is an homage, rather than a parody. I haven't seen the manual, but unless there's satire or parody inside, it won't fly.

Of course, one could also rewrite the manual so the main character is "Nintendough Lawyer Man", and he stomps on "Hard Shelled Homebrewers". Change the princess into a big dollar, and you have your parody.

IMO it's not worth it to go up against Nintendough's lawyers, but if anyone involved wanted to double-down and count on media support, that's the way to go.

• Like 2

I didn't see the manual either,but was the characters ever called by the same name in Princess Rescue as SMB.

if they were then I would suggest change the charters name in the manual,leave out any reference to the actual SMB

in manual and box.

if the music is the problem just change the pitch (that what they do on youtube if you want to use copyright music)

I didn't see the manual either,but was the characters ever called by the same name in Princess Rescue as SMB.

if they were then I would suggest change the charters name in the manual,leave out any reference to the actual SMB

in manual and box.

if the music is the problem just change the pitch (that what they do on youtube if you want to use copyright music)

All the Characters in the manual have different names than in SMB. I didn't see any reference at all to SMB in there either, except that the original score was done by Koji Kondo.

I would imagine that one the game hit news (ign etc) nintendo got wind of it and say hey lets put an an end to this.

if there is no reference to the original game any where in the manual or box and it did say they are not from the original game

I don't see the problem, if its the music then prob re do the music with a pitch change.

All I can say is at least the rom is out and people can play it on emu or harmony(or what ever)

is Sega still in business? I don't think they would be the same problem with zippy though.

what I suggest for zippy is if you sell the carts don't leak it out to the net that way no one will know

make it an AA Exclusive thing.