IGNORED

HSC10 Round 15: The Devil May Care!

therealbountybob

winning the poll we have

Satan's Hollow

and made of chocolate... who would have thought :D

Excellent blaster, played a long time ago in the HSC. Standard scoring, usual rules, no autofire etc. We have two HSC records: Level 1 HSC great poobah's 508,600 (s4r14) and Level 3 from HSC veteran Goochman with 102,700 (s1r17). Play on the default Level 1 and we'll see how we go. In my notes I have "Devil requires multiple hits on later levels" so he's a junkie now too :-o

Atarimania

atarionline.pl

Info on the game

SatanHollow_2.gif

So will this round be good or bad? it's been a while since we had some bad bonus game action, and when I say bad I mean evil... so brace yourselves. In no particular order of badness we have:

[if you just want to play the main game that's fine, the following may be bad for your gaming health, ok I quite like Little Devil, but they give a chance for some bonus points and for others to get into the record books ;) ]

ATR with most of the games (excluding the Turbo-BASIC ones, the basic programs should just run) HSC10-DevilMayCare.ATR

Little Devil

Not a bad platformer. Press Select to reset the timers! Hold L/R when jumping for longer jump. Tap down to end a jump. If you're struggling to get the "7" under the right hand platform on the screen below try wiggling the stick a bit as you go over it ;)[4pts win, 3pts 2nd-3rd, 2pts 4th-5th, 1pt for playing]

atarimania

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2293

little_devil_2.gif

The Devils Doorway

you know I love a bit of BASIC! rock dodging? - ok we'll need to work out what to do here! [2pts win, 1pt for playing]

atarimania

atarionline.pl (also has XEX version)

devil_s_doorway_2.gif

Dare Devil

Nice Turbo-BASIC game from KE soft, looks like a Tutenkham(un) clone; collect the keys and get the treasures, you can shoot sideways hold fire and move stick. Unfortunately if you are hit you have to restart the screen. Not sure how many levels there are to beat... [3pts win, 2pts for 2nd&3rd, 1pt for playing]

atarionline.pl

post-19705-0-27523300-1378372081_thumb.png

Devil's Dare

Connect-5 comes to the HSC (the game supports 4 player for atari 800 fans). Play on the default 9x9 grid try and win a game on each of the three difficulty levels [Option/F4] ;)[beat easy for 1pt, medium for 2pts, hard for 4pts]

atarionline.pl

post-19705-0-31218100-1378371948_thumb.png

Devil's Domain

Ouch! Another Turbo-BASIC game, this one looks a neat idea but the controls are not great, collect the treasures - looks like there is an end goal - see the info on the menu (wait for it to scroll) [2pts for win, 1pt for playing]

atarimania

atarioneline.pl

devil_s_domain_new_atari_user_5.gif

Devilator

Kinda fun, hold fire to stop the lift, push L/R to load unload passengers on the correct floors, you can park people but are out when a floor is full and a new guy arrives... sort of Tapperesque! [Try holding fire in to control the evelator] [4pts win, 3pts 2nd, 2pts 3rd-5th , 1pt for playing]

atarimania

homesoft

atarionline.pl

devilator.gif

and

The Devil's Caverns

More BASIC goodness, ok a mini-RPG hits the HSC, you have about 4 commands so It can't be too difficult! It's like one of the old mainframe games! [2pts for the most experience, +1pt for the highest rating based on the gold found, 1pt for playing]

post-19705-0-49693500-1378375210_thumb.png

atarionline.pl

The Heavenly Gates

Another BASIC game, what do you mean "NEVER HEARD OF IT" ok, me neither :P

looks like you just avoid the baddies for as long as you can bear it, maybe I'm missing something (insert brain)* [Highest 'Goal' score: 2pts winner, 1pt for playing]

atarimania

atarionline.pl

the_heavenly_gates_2.gif

Try atarioinline.pl or homesoft for the games if the atarimania ones are missing. Is fandal back somewhere?

Fandal is back! http://a8.fandal.cz/ :party:

If anyone finds any other (un)suitable candidates for this round post your suggestions!

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY

ROUND ENDS Sun 21st SEPT 10PM GMT

Try not to be too scared!

*More info on all the games on Post #12

Edited by therealbountybob
Added ATR with the games etc

I think Devil's Domain may really stink!() and have just checked we had played Little Devil before in the "November Spawned a Monster" round... so there's my HSC Record of 44,500 to shoot for. In my notes I have "Bit hard for beginners", but I seemed to remember enjoying it once you figure out lining up for the collectables? I've added the Satan's Hollow records to the 1st post too :)

Have fun :)

OK now I failed to get my abbuc game working enough to enter I have more time for HSC action:

I love this game - 95,100

How do the bonus games work as far as the HSC scoring goes? Or are they just for fun?

If you think these will be fun you might be in for a shock ;) Provisional scoring now on 1st post!

@ trbb, could you put all the bonus games on one ATR? ;) :)

Sort of, ATR on 1st post

Not played this one before, enjoying it so far.

Playing this one on NTSC as its difficult to pick out the shots fired by the flying things against parts of the sky on some levels on the PAL version!

Satan's Hollow is really good. Interesting re PAL/NTSC :thumbsup:

Bob makes it up as he goes along. The number of points attached to a bonus game is directly related to whether he's any good at it or not! :-D

rumbled :D Ok I've winged this round with a load of dodgy games but we might have fun. I'll extend it to 3 weeks and we'll see how we go. Satan's H is strong enough to stand up to serious play.

I've added a few more including a board game and a mini-RPG so we have everyone covered :) Feel free to rate the games out of ten folks, got a feeling we have some new candidate for the bottom end of the HSC ratings table :-o

Don't tell him but the plan a cruel one: to make McKong play loads of bad games to try and catch up a bit ;)

A rusty go on Satan's Hollow 18,200

Little Devil - not a bad game really, 39,000. You can jump up the sides of the screen on the first level.

Devilator is not bad, more fun than first appears, get to 100 or more and you will see ;)

Dare Devil - made it to the 2nd screen 3,930 quite good, hold fire to stop on a floor or just grab/push someone on/off as you pass!

The Devils Dare "connect 5" is ok but I didn't beat easy!

------------------------ I'll draw the line here see :)

Devil's Caverns the mini RPG is ok but I didn't store any gold so not sure how to measure progress?

and from here on it goes down hill with...

The Devils Doorway possibly being okish for a quick go, descend and find the door or die trying 14,120

then we have...

Devil's Domain - 254 enough said!

The Heavenly Gates - you have to guard them from the guys, points are banked at the end of each level, you have to improve to continue - scoring flawed so make a note of the highest you reached or

Press Break at the game over screen

PRINT SCORESAV

at the READY prompt

I percsevered until level 9 where my points were zapped (max reached was 7,064) - but can't think I will play this one again :-o

NOTE: You can press break and type DOS to return to the game menu from several of the games to save re-loading. Some of the BASIC games take a while to initialise and some try and burn your retinas just to let you know they are running :D

post-19705-0-64113100-1378419838_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-81484100-1378419840_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-61724500-1378419842_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-48597700-1378419844_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-25794200-1378419846_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-33724100-1378419848_thumb.jpg

Satan's Hollow:

31,400 :)

not sure what the best tactic is yet, whether to build the bridge and cross quikcly or get more flags - must read the instructions !!

post-19705-0-38736800-1378504116_thumb.jpg

Talking of which in Little Devil I was wondering about the status bar - pressing Select uses one of your three Timer Resets (TR) so when the numbers are getting low you can reset them to 7 if you are quick!

I completed the first round and the 2nd round has extra heads - this game must have something to do with The Mighty Jill Off ? Lots of similarities here - anyone know the history or are they both based on a classic arcade game?

44,900 I would have had more but wasted 2 lives gettting the screenshot - neither of these two have a pause key :mad:

post-19705-0-27909800-1378504120_thumb.jpg

Devil's Caverns - got 50 gold and ranked "Not bad but good!". Stored some gold ("-1" at one of the DROPOFFs) and levelled up (see screenshot) so we'll play for highest level reached? I think you can buy stuff with the gold in room 1 :)

post-19705-0-02961800-1378504118_thumb.jpg

Keep an eye on Post #1 folks for more info on the games/scoring!

246, 500

:thumbsup:

I'm still not sure what the best tactic is but learning to use the shield might help a bit - yes the PAL pink section seems to make the missiles (eggs!!) etc hard to see - brightness down contrast up, or was it brightness up contrast down ...

attachicon.gifSF.jpg

caco is back :) I do not have time to play, new job, new family member ... :) but ...

nice to hear from you Caco :thumbsup:

think yourself lucky, roadrunner was hit by a monster, cursed by a demon and gassed :D

but did that stop him? erm yes :skull:

Despite it's ridiculous playfield collision detection I'm liking Little Devil quite a lot more than it's 5.0 atarimania rating. Not beaten the final screen on round 2 something else got me (that I didn't see so perhaps something else nasty lurking near the top?...) remember the Select key folks ;)

post-19705-0-55324900-1378596640_thumb.jpg

Liking the GI 'girlfriend' counter? though judging by the size of her perhaps rescuing one is enough... another case of Stockholm syndrome perhaps, classic 8-bit gaming fodder :-o

Devil's Dare - I didn't see a score, is this game like Othello?

Don't you guys have the classic Connect 4 in the USA ?!

51FOQHBEWyL._SX342_.jpg

we'll it's a but like that (imagine something bigger :grin: ) and not like

51AhU7pHNzL._AA160_.jpg

where you capture the pieces in between ;)

Just make a line of 5 in a row, diagonals are ok... it should be easy but easy kicks my butt :mad: must resist pressing break and LISTing the program to make a few tweaks :-o